S38 M6 US spec converting to Euro headers

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

DraganM6

S38 M6 US spec converting to Euro headers

Post by DraganM6 »

I am looking to purchase Euro Headers for my 1987 US spec M6,
I heard there might be a fitment issue or that some modifications must be made to the heat shields? Can someone elaborate on this from previous experience. Thanks in advance!
PTFunk

Re: S38 M6 US spec converting to Euro headers

Post by PTFunk »

I think Jose (Da_Hose) did this a while back (?). PM him and encourage him to post any lessons learned here.
"Sabine": '88 M6 Royalblau/Silber
SLS delete, Wizard Cooling radiator, BavAuto Strut bar, M-Technik steering wheel, Conforti chip, Bilstein B8s / H&R Lowering Springs, BBE stainless cat-back exhaust
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: S38 M6 US spec converting to Euro headers

Post by Da_Hose »

The pipes fit perfectly to the engine, and the smaller shields are find. However, the one big existing heat shield CANNOT be wedged back into place when the pipes are mounted. You end up with a couple of options. Also, before starting your install, you absolutely have to break loose the motor mounts and do some lifting of at least the passenger side of the engine to even get the new pipes in. I highly recommend removing all the cooling plumbing so you have full access and best view of everything while you work. I also highly recommend having the pipes coated before you mount. I went with ceramicoat, but other options can be equally good at containing the UNGODLY HEAT that emanates of that ridiculously cool looking bundle of snakes living under your hood. I digress. Back to business.

With the engine lifted, you can try pre-placing the original shields and wrestle everything in together. Very fiddly, and you need help. The shield also might need some persuading to curve properly around the rear section of the pipes. If you get everything mounted, you will now have absolutely no room to work on stuff on that side of the engine.

I chose a different option because you never know what can need adjustment, and I wanted to be able to remove that shield by itself, without having to lift the engine again. I fabricated a new main shield using the old ones as a template. I posted a picture in this thread, but they are crappy Photobucket images.

viewtopic.php?f=6&t=27362&hilit=heat+shield

Some day I should track down all my posts with those kinds of pics. and replace with smaller version in the thread itself.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car