Starter problems

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

M6 Dream

Starter problems

Post by M6 Dream »

I have recently recognised a problem with my M6 '89. Works perfectly in all aspects but recently while starting the engin no starter work at all. In general in garage if I start the ignition everything work , however after a min 30 minuts of fun entertainment drive if i stop the engin and try to start again ignition is on, I hear fule pump but starter is not initiated, nothing no noise. If I wait then somtimes ignition starts and engine works but it looks so far unpredictible and I do not know if it is related to ignition/key or starter itself. I do not know how to handle and where to start checkig what is wrong. Alternator works fine , charging while working is perfect but as I wrote after a half an hor drive I can not start the ngine again. If I turn the key on all lights , power is on , fule pump is on I hear the noise of initial fule load but no effect from starter.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Starter problems

Post by Pod »

Try putting a length of bar against the starter and give it a whack with a lump hammer. That may help shake it loose - and if that doesn’t work, it hasn’t cost you anything 😉