Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

E24 M30B34 Supercharger project

Post by ZesCoupe »

Hi all,

As a precursor to this topic I would like to inform everyone that my days as big coupe owner are over, mine was sold in January this year. Now almost 69 I found that physically working on the car was getting to be a struggle. Most notably last year when trying to solve my Hydro Brake Mystery topic (http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.ph ... 13#p214613) I found that constantly trying to work under the car was causing the air to become rather blue with expletives. My wife suggested it was maybe time to do something else. The situation was exacerbated by the aftereffects of a relatively serious accident on a 50cc scooter I used to get to a parttime job at the beginning of the year. Not my fault in any way, a stupid cyclist with mobile phone in her hand just turned in front of me and I was carted off in an ambulance with, amongst other things, a seriously broken collar bone. Still not completely over it but now have a 40 year old Harley to work on.

Getting back to the project. It was something I started back in 2016 but was the product of an idea I'd been toying with for a number of years. I didn't want a turbo, never really liked the power curve and the easy alternative, centrifugal, didn't really fill my ambitions either. It's the sound of an old school Rootes that really does it for me. I once saw a post on some Aussie site from a guy that had bolted an Eaton M90 to the side of a B34/35 intake but he had apparently run into some issues and had shelved the project. Don't know what the problems were but I would assume that intercooling would have raised it's ugly head somewhere. Then one day I came across some article talking about the Eaton M90 as fitted to the Jaguar XJR (X300) between '94 & '97 and it got me to thinking. The Jag 4 litre straight 6 block is dimensionally not far removed from the BMW M30, so maybe it would be possible to transplant the complete system, modifying it to fit. Bit of a challenge I know, but having a neighbour with a Fadal CNC in his workshop makes creating custom parts do-able. I also have a lathe and small vertical mill so we can generally get almost anything done.

The first hurdle of course was finding a complete Jaguar system and various searches over quite a long period of time (have other things to do) had not turned anything up. Then by chance while looking on a sale site here in the Netherlands I came across a Jag parts dealer over in the east of the country near the German border who was selling a complete engine from an X300. So I contacted him and said I was interested but only needed the blower parts, not the block. He agreed and I drove over and removed everything I needed.

I will be adding further posts asap to cover the various hurdles in the design and build process but to close this one I'll just add a short video to show the finished, although prototyped, result. I had to stop the project at the beginning of last year due to a complete lack of funds, my pension just didn't run to the dynamometer costs necessary to set up the Miller WAR chip. As such this complete project, as removed from the car before being sold, is surplus to requirements and needs a new home.

https://youtu.be/NtOExEZaLcY

Regards,
Martyn
"If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" My Dad (1921-1995)

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: E24 M30B34 Supercharger project

Post by wattsmonkey »

Wow Martyn,

That looks amazing! I'm getting the parts together for the same project on my '84 635, but with a B35 head, Shrick cam and ITBs. I'm using the M62 for this because it fits so neatly in place of the aircon compressor, but I realise I'll be pushing it as hard as it will go to get a meaningful amount of boost.

Can't wait to see more detail on your build - I'm only sorry it didn't get finished after all of that hard work.

Thank you, please tell us everything!

Rob
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 2 - Making a Plan

OK - so the Jag blower parts have been sourced but now the work begins. Below is a pic of the Jag engine which I took before removing the parts I needed.
IMG_0464.jpeg
IMG_0464.jpeg (530.68 KiB) Viewed 18411 times

And one of an X300 engine compartment which I annotated to explain to someone how the air was routed.
X300.jpg
X300.jpg (323.73 KiB) Viewed 18411 times

It will be obvious to anyone who knows the E24 engine compartment that, although mounted pretty close to the block, the blower installation will take up space already occupied by existing components. Apart from the obvious getting the Intercooler/intake to fit to the head the following changes would need to be made:
  • Moving the ABS control unit - most logical position is the battery space
  • Moving the battery to the boot (US = trunk) to create the space for the ABS
  • Moving the oil filter to a remote connection
  • Moving the cooling system header tank
  • Moving the alternator to the other side of the engine
  • Removing the viscous fan to make room for the blower drive belt
Sounds relatively simple - 6 points - but it would entail designing and making from scratch a number of brackets and assemblies to accommodate everything within that relatively small space :-k . Biggest challenge would be the intake/intercooler assembly. Jaguar decided to use a liquid to air type intercooler which cuts down on the space needed for a typical air to air as used in most turbo installations. As it happens they chose the German BEHR as supplier of the intercooler which I thought was fitting as they have also supplied BMW. The length of the Jaguar engine is slightly greater than the BMW but the actual flanges of both intakes are not a lot different so I spent some time playing with the idea of combining them by creating some 3D drawings in Autodesk Inventor. The solution to all these points I'll describe in separate posts.

Till next time,
Martyn

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I haven't been checking the forum this often for ages! Can't wait for next installment.
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 3: The intake/intercooler

Hallo again,

Busy with other shit this weekend but here goes with the next instalment. I wasn't sure what to describe next as a lot of what was going on in 2017 was jumping from sub project to sub project as they were so interdependent and we ended up with a lot of parallel development.

If we just leave the placing of the blower (apart from the fact that it was mounted against the block under the intake) for the time being and move to the intake/intercooler, I'll try and explain how we managed to get the Jag intake to fit the M30 head. It was pretty obvious that the Jag runners would have to come off leaving just the intercooler, and the M30 runners/flanges would then be attached. But if you look at the standard M30 intake manifold you'll notice that the runners take a wide sweep to the outsides before curving back in towards the flanges. As the intercooler part of the Jag intake is a rather square boxy component (see previous photos) and sits relatively close to the head, trying to fit those runners to the intercooler was going to be a challenge. After some head scratching I eventually realised that the flanges are, both equidistant from each other and identically mounted to the head - yes? As such they don't necessarily need to be placed in the same order. Look again and you'll see that they are nicely split in the middle to form two blocks of three. If we then first mount the intake to a rigid heavy steel u-profile and then cut laterally through the runners to form two separate parts, we can then move the rear section to the front of the head and the front section to the rear. Now the remaining curvature will no longer point outwards but inwards towards the area where we wanted to eventually mount the intercooler.

IMG_1336.JPG
IMG_1336.JPG (96.86 KiB) Viewed 18351 times

Now to actually get to the situation in the photo there was a lot of measuring, 3D drawing and temporary positioning that took place. You'll notice the gap between the runners and the intercooler - yes, intentional as the runners can't be attached to the radiator mesh directly, there has to be some form of plenum. Ideally I would have liked to have created a much bigger plenum but there is absolutely no more physical room to move the intercooler further away from the engine. Plan was to create the plenum in two sections, the first section a hollow form to encase the ends of the runners, the second a flat plate with a rectangular hole which would be welded to the back of the intercooler. Lastly the two sections would be welded together. Below is a photo of the 3D drawing on screen.

IMG_1616.JPG
IMG_1616.JPG (59.92 KiB) Viewed 18351 times

For the welding of the (from billet) machined pleneum, the two runner sections were remounted to the steel support to try and stop as much of the movement caused by heat as possible. My neighbour who was involved in the project at times has a large 3-phase TIG welder which we needed to generate the power needed to weld large pieces of aluminium. I'm also rather lucky that he has a large Fadal CNC machine in his workshop :D

IMG_1638.JPG
IMG_1638.JPG (116.25 KiB) Viewed 18351 times
IMG_1645.JPG
IMG_1645.JPG (95.03 KiB) Viewed 18351 times

If you look closely you'll notice that the "ears" (for want of a better description) have just been avoided with the cut so the fuel rail can be attached as normal. You'll also notice that the blower itself has been mounted but as I already said there was a lot of parallel development and I'll get to that later.

Here is also a short video of pressure testing the intercooler after the plate was welded to it.

https://youtu.be/DzUvXI5eFYI

We'll leave it there for now as it's already 01:40 here in Europe

@wattsmonkey - thanks 8) - but probably won't be doing more than one post a day

Later,
Martyn

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
Quietlion79

Post by Quietlion79 »

This is SO COOOOOL!!!!
1952 Austin Sheerline Limo
1960 Studebaker Lark
1963 Chrysler 300J
1963 Studebaker Avanti R2
1964 Jensen CV8 Mk2
1970 AMC Rebel Machine
1972 BMW Bavaria
1981 BMW Euro 635CSI
1989 Chrysler Conquest
2001 Honda Insight
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 4a: Mounting the Supercharger

Hi,

Sorry for the delay - other business to attend to.

While working on the previous intake design I was also busy with the supercharger placement - they are, of course, completely interdependent. As I said in Part 2, some things would need to be moved to accommodate everything. In this case it would be the alternator, viscous fan assembly and oil filter assembly. The alternator is just moving to the other side of the engine (I'll get to that later) but the oil filter will need to be remote fitted and a take-off block made to attach the oil lines. The alignment of all the drive belts was also pre-configured in order to be able to fix a position for the supercharger.

Earlier I had dismantled the supercharger for inspection and decided to rebuild it with a kit from a UK eBay dealer. Pretty exacting work to re-install everything in the same positions as removed but if you mark everything precisely and make a jig to hold the rotors in the correct position it is not rocket science.

SC rebuild.JPG
SC rebuild.JPG (106.25 KiB) Viewed 18265 times

The supercharger as fitted by Jaguar has its own cradle to mount it to the block but of course there was no possibility that it would fit the M30 block. From a cardboard template a piece of 2mm sheet steel was cut that could be mounted via the available bolt holes in the side and front of the block, two being under the engine mount brackets. Then two steel bars, judicially lightened by a series of holes, were welded to it. These bars would contain the threaded mounting holes for the (slightly modified) cradle.

IMG_1410.JPG
IMG_1410.JPG (124.15 KiB) Viewed 18265 times
IMG_1409.JPG
IMG_1409.JPG (106.58 KiB) Viewed 18265 times

A mounting block for the remote oil lines was fabricated from a block of aluminium.

IMG_1445.JPG
IMG_1445.JPG (116.45 KiB) Viewed 18265 times

This would be bolted through the fabricated plate making the whole assembly as rigid as possible. I'll show this in another post as the board only allows 4 images.

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 4b: Mounting the Supercharger cont'd.

Here is a photo of the finished mounting assembly with the take-off block and oil lines fitted.

IMG_4393.JPG
IMG_4393.JPG (131.97 KiB) Viewed 18265 times

And below a couple of photos of the take-off block, lines and remote filter assembly which was attached to the left side chassis rail. In the second photo notice the blue oil lines which run through the same hole in the front valance as the original oil cooler lines. It all needed a bit of a clean as it was covered in coolant splashes as I was also busy with cooling and heater lines when the photo was taken.

IMG_3565.JPG
IMG_3565.JPG (119.1 KiB) Viewed 18265 times
IMG_3337.JPG
IMG_3337.JPG (132.52 KiB) Viewed 18265 times

Part 5 coming up asap.

Later,
Martyn

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Nice work !! Can you advise where you sourced the remote oil filter housing from ?
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

@baders,

Just looked through the email archive - it was Merlin Motorsport in UK (https://www.merlinmotorsport.co.uk). They've been around for donkey's years and are located at the Castle Combe race circuit near Chippenham in Wiltshire. Got the hoses and unions in the same order. I used to buy from them back in the days before internet webshops when we were over visiting family in the UK. They ship pretty reasonably to The Netherlands but I don't know what that would be like to OZ. There is surely some company over there doing this stuff isn't there? Try googleing for "Mocal remote oil filter site:.au" or maybe just leave the Mocal off and see what else shows up.

Regards,
Martyn

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

Thanks for that Martyn.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I'm looking forward to the next instalment like a parcel from Walloth & Nesch for Christmas!
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 5: Pulleys and belts

Hi,

Good god I just noticed that the last instalment was back at the end of November, doesn't time fly. Sometimes wonder how I ever found time to fit in work back in the days before retirement. There was my birthday followed by Christmas and I've also been working on a couple of side development projects together with a friend and neighbour, then of course there's the Harley. Anyway I seem to have found some time at present to add some more to this blog.

Having previously seen that the construction of the intake/intercooler would ideally need to be symmetrical in order to match the intake runners with the open side of the intercooler, it was pretty obvious that the blower itself would need to be as far forward as was physically possible. This meant that the nose ended up being about 1cm from the radiator. Constructing some parallels across the lateral plane of the blower pully made it possible to take some measurements to determine the size and position of the main drive pulley, which was the first thing that was produced on the lathe. I'm quite lucky with materials as my friend and neighbour has industrial contacts who supply him with (for them) scrap aluminium billet offcuts.

IMG_2886.JPG
IMG_2886.JPG (87.13 KiB) Viewed 17679 times

IMG_2887.JPG
IMG_2887.JPG (83.02 KiB) Viewed 17679 times

Having already decided to run the P/S pump in the same position the mounting plate (shown earlier) for the blower was already fabricated with the upper mounting point for the pump and a separate lower one was fabricated to fit on the sump where the oem part attaches.

IMG_6005.JPG
IMG_6005.JPG (121.57 KiB) Viewed 17679 times

IMG_1994.jpeg
IMG_1994.jpeg (94.83 KiB) Viewed 17679 times

As I've again run out of space for photo's - to be continued

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 5: Pulleys and belts - cont'd.

Below is a photo of the installed crank pulley and the belt fitted on the oem pulley behind it, that drives the alternator but I'll get to that later.

IMG_1411.jpeg
IMG_1411.jpeg (111.43 KiB) Viewed 17666 times

The other parts of the crank pulley are the multirib section, of course, but this drives only the blower as the fitting of a single serpentine belt for everything was too much of a challenge. The other part drives the P/S pump in it's original position and the water pump with a modified pulley which was also turned on the lathe.

IMG_2890.JPG
IMG_2890.JPG (115.64 KiB) Viewed 17666 times

IMG_2888.JPG
IMG_2888.JPG (81.02 KiB) Viewed 17666 times

The pulley was modified to shift it slightly to the rear so that it lines up with the P/S pulley

IMG_1412.JPG
IMG_1412.JPG (59.42 KiB) Viewed 17666 times

Next - a look at the multirib belt driving the blower - with more photo's

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
69BMW2002NH

Post by 69BMW2002NH »

AMAZING -- Can you sell me the custom parts?
1970 BMW 2002 - Work in progress
1985 BMW M635CSI - 4.0 Stroked M88
1989 BMW 325iA - Alpine White 65k original miles
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

@69BMW2002NH

Sent PM

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Looking forward to next instalment!
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

@wattsmonkey (and maybe other interested parties)

Yes - sorry, remiss of me, been a bit busy of late :oops: . Strange I seem to be busier since I retired than when I was working. Sometimes wonder how I found the time to do any paid work LoL. Keep promising myself to sit at the PC and write a couple of posts but have been involved with other projects.

The last week (also other periods since the new year) has been spent getting the Harley up and running before the season starts. Still not riding weather here but won't be long coming I hope. Trouble is I keep finding things which need some attention and end up making custom parts in the workshop.

Then there's a project with a friend of mine who is developing a GT3 class race car. I've been looking into programming a DC motor controller to drive a custom EPAS system for the car. I'm also helping him with a project to use Arduino driven PLC's in a factory project his company has been building over the last year or so.

With a bit of luck I should be able to find a window in my "schedule" to post something :-k .

Later,
Martyn

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

Fair play Martyn, retirement sounds like a lot of fun!
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

Reading about projects like this make any of my own efforts seems pathetically inadequate lol

I would love to have been an engineer, but would never have earned enough money from that to indulge my passion for the 635. So instead I spent over 40 years sitting behind a desk pushing bits of paper around or typing on a keyboard with one finger!
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

@plip

Hahaha. If you only knew the truth. I'm no trained engineer - I wish. Things did not go right in my last (6th form) school year as my mother was dying from cancer and my grades were not so good. Couldn't do what I wanted at Uni, had huge arguments with my dad, left home and dropped out. Amongst other things drove a van until old enough to get my HGV licence and then travelled Canada, the States and Europe as a jobbing driver until meeting my wife in The Netherlands in the mid 70's. Drove trucks from NL throughout Europe until my daughter didn't need my support any more for her studies when I went back to school (at 47) to study Telecom and IT at high level. Then worked as a sort of engineer in that world for almost 20 years until retiring.

Point is you don't (IMHO) necessarily need to have a particular education in something to be pretty good at it - I think that passion plays a role. I was always passionate about internal combustion engines and automotive engineering since I was about 15. I've always had bikes and cars in various stages of repair or customisation. Always been involved in some way with racing, rallying etc. and tend to be a sort of knowledge sponge around people with knowledge I need. I think possibly that having a good base in (applied) maths and physics helps to a certain extent but books (and the modern internet) are the most important tools. As my last maths teacher used to say:- Read, mark, learn and INWARDLY BLOODY DIGEST. He used to scare me shitless in his flowing toga and mortarboard (English Grammar school!) but when I think about it now he had a point.

Anyway the next update will have to wait guys as I have to get round to my neighbours workshop pdq as I promised to help set up a test jig for our EPAS system this evening.

later,
Martyn

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

There must be a golf clap smilie around here somewhere, I just can't find one.

Very well said.

My story included high school harping "COLLEGE PREP. COLLEGE PREP. COLLEGE PREP." to a crappy student. Wandered around from various jobs and travel that interested me, using opportunity and natural aptitude to improve my skills. Went into business and never looked back. Not a damn thing wrong with getting your hands dirty for a living. Working toward my own retirement in the not to distant future.

I have met many 'educated' folks that can't survive a half day power outage.

Oh, and a quote from a previous employer, mentor and friend: "No one ever got anywhere working 9 to 5". Thanks for the advice Boots, old friend, I took it to heart.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

OK - so to get back to the original thread - but where was I?

Part 5: Pulleys and belts - cont'd.

The pulleys for the water pump and p/s pump shown in the previous post would be driven by one belt and were set up as shown in the following photo. You will notice an extra jockey wheel which I installed as a modification later because when I looked closely at the system after initially installing everything, it was obvious that the angle of between the belt section from the drive towards the water pump, and the section from the drive to the p/s pump, was more than 90 degrees. This meant that probably less than a quarter of the circumference of the drive pulley would be in contact with the belt - that was never going to work. The photo also, by the way, gives a clear view of the oil filter remote placement, take-off plate and lines.

IMG_5220.jpeg
IMG_5220.jpeg (134.68 KiB) Viewed 16745 times

I said previously that I'd get to the multirib belt driving the blower, so.....

Having decided not to get into a serpentine belt system the belt driving the blower would only do just that, but of course we'd need a tensioning pulley somewhere along the belt. The easiest place to construct something would therefore be on the blower nose itself and in the photos below you can see what I eventually constructed. It's not remotely rocket science, it's basically cobbled together from scrap materials from my "might come in useful someday" crate. The pulley itself was from the original Jaguar system so would work quite well in a new situation - if it was good enough for Jaguar it's good enough for me. Apart from some standard sheet, bar and round tube stock, the large square tube and the nicely shaped pivot were actually from a salvaged home gym which I never managed to sell and eventually dismantled to be (someday) recycled. It works quite simply by adjusting the large allen bolt which increases the tension on the belt through the pivoting action of the pulley.

IMG_2917.JPG
IMG_2917.JPG (89.89 KiB) Viewed 16745 times
IMG_2916.JPG
IMG_2916.JPG (86.05 KiB) Viewed 16745 times

Once the blower was reinstalled, the combined belt systems would be as shown in the next photo - with of course the jockey wheel modification I mentioned in the first paragraph (no photo taken after). You will also maybe notice a third belt, below left, which is driving the alternator but I'll get to that next.

IMG_1483.jpeg
IMG_1483.jpeg (106.35 KiB) Viewed 16745 times
Last edited by ZesCoupe on Mon Mar 09, 2020 2:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Part 5: Pulleys and belts - final.

Having no airco on my shark I could only assume that the compressor location would be on the right hand side of the engine - it's the only place available AFAICS. Whatever, there are location points so I decided to use them to relocate the alternator.

IMG_1275.jpeg
IMG_1275.jpeg (85.34 KiB) Viewed 16740 times

First job was to fabricate a bracket to attach the alternator to. This meant the, by now familiar, pulley planes calculations to ensure that the belt runs smoothly. It involves basically many iterations of measuring, fitting, modifying until we end up with a bracket as shown in the photo below.

IMG_2918.JPG
IMG_2918.JPG (83.09 KiB) Viewed 16740 times

All in all a lot less of a job than the other modifications and the resulting installed alternator worked quite well, all be it a little close to the lower radiator hose.

IMG_1415.jpeg
IMG_1415.jpeg (82.69 KiB) Viewed 16740 times

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Your ambition is only surpassed by your ingenuity. Nice work!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"