Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

This is the description of the Saloon area but it is has now proven to be out of date.

Please can the Mods change it to describe what subjects can be discussed in the Saloon please, as Politics and Speaking your Mind are very much now NOT allowed.

Many thanks,

Sharkfan.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Post by 86_6series »

Let's stick to BMW stuff. Trump doesn't care about cars and Biden owns an old Corvette.
Both are disqualified.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Post by sharkfan »

That's fine if the Mods agree but lets not mislead people that politics and speaking your mind are allowed and so lets state it so there are no misunderstandings and upsetting of forum members.
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

sharkfan, and everyone else for that matter, I've been thinking about my response to this thread, especially in light of the fact (also duly pointed out by sharkfan in another more recent thread) that Trump just made history, again, by being the only president in USofA history to be impeached, twice [-X

I understand that if we do want to restrict what's posted in the "Saloon", even though the heading states that politics is OK, that may be considered a form of censorship :-?

But PLEASE keep in mind here that we are not talking about the constitutional 1st amendment rights, we're talking about an automotive forum here =;

We want to promote unity, our common thread, our beloved 6ers =D>

In fact, I heard a clever acronym a while back, LOTS, which stands for "Love Of The Six" 8)

Folks, that's us, plain and simple, what unifies us \:D/

This is a very diversified group, world wide in fact, yet one of the most civilized boards on the globe, if not the most =D>

I removed the other thread as it started to get ugly and it was requested to be removed by several board members, inferring that these types of discussions be taken offline, I would be suggest using the PM feature to reach out to a specific member directly, or other more suitable forums [-X

So once again, PLEASE, let's try and keep it civil, and on track, LOTS :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Supporting Bobbo, and adding some thoughts of my own, I think the key issue here is that conversations about politics, especially in this current age are commonly aggressive, hostile, divisive, disrespectful, and even threatening. VERY few people can actually focus an argument on logic, legal precedent, and policy without devolving into name calling, throwing around loaded language, and displaying lots of hostility. It is those aspects of political exchanges in a turn based forum that cause so many problems for any discussion about politics online. I further believe that is why so many of us stay out of that kind of exchange on this forum, and why Bobbo will step in and say discussions are getting out of hand.

One thing I have ALWAYS liked about this forum, is that as a community we seem to agree that when any conversation turns personal, and hostile, it needs to end and become a one-to-one conversation, and NOT just an exchange of personal barbs. As members, we consistently work to pull focus back to our common appreciation for our 6ers, and what we can all do to help each other keep our prized vehicles on the road.

For the reasons above, I tend to agree that we shouldn't think about CENSORING this area, but remember/respect how we effectively moderate at both top, and member levels to keep this place a great forum to participate in.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

GRNSHRK wrote: Wed Jan 13, 2021 10:58 pm sharkfan, and everyone else for that matter, I've been thinking about my response to this thread, especially in light of the fact (also duly pointed out by sharkfan in another more recent thread) that Trump just made history, again, by being the only president in USofA history to be impeached, twice [-X

I understand that if we do want to restrict what's posted in the "Saloon", even though the heading states that politics is OK, that may be considered a form of censorship :-?

But PLEASE keep in mind here that we are not talking about the constitutional 1st amendment rights, we're talking about an automotive forum here =;

We want to promote unity, our common thread, our beloved 6ers =D>

In fact, I heard a clever acronym a while back, LOTS, which stands for "Love Of The Six" 8)

Folks, that's us, plain and simple, what unifies us \:D/

This is a very diversified group, world wide in fact, yet one of the most civilized boards on the globe, if not the most =D>

I removed the other thread as it started to get ugly and it was requested to be removed by several board members, inferring that these types of discussions be taken offline, I would be suggest using the PM feature to reach out to a specific member directly, or other more suitable forums [-X

So once again, PLEASE, let's try and keep it civil, and on track, LOTS :lol:
You have already censored the Saloon so that genie is out of the lamp.

I don't mind if Politics and speaking your mind is barred from the saloon - there are many other places to have discussions about anything you want online, but let's not say The Big Coupe Saloon is a place to discuss politics et al and then start censoring it because the subject is Donald Trump.

Like a few others I have been around this place since it began in 2004 and many, many discussions have been held on various politicians over the years without the need to censor or delete them, but deleting discussions on Donald Trump is exactly what he and his supporters want because it removes facts from the equation.
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

Sharkfan

You still don't get it--

"but deleting discussions on Donald Trump is exactly what he and his supporters want because it removes facts from the equation."

This is what we're talking about. You just demonized 75 million Americans because they don't see your facts.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

86_6series wrote: Thu Jan 14, 2021 12:25 pm Sharkfan

You still don't get it--

"but deleting discussions on Donald Trump is exactly what he and his supporters want because it removes facts from the equation."

This is what we're talking about. You just demonized 75 million Americans because they don't see your facts.
I think demonized is a little strong; the point I am making is that Trump has told lies about the election result and his supporters, not you should note all the 75 million who voted for him, but those supporters who still perpetuate the lies about the Election result and do not wish to engage in facts about the way the Election was conducted, the way the votes were counted and the totals of those vote counts.

Put simply, whether you have voted for Trump, Biden or any other Presidential candidate it does not matter as long as you accept the Election result and do not believe in Donald Trumps lies.

There was no evidence delivered under oath to any Judge of any widespread fraud that Trump speaks of and continues to lie about - the Judges have said so, including many that were appointed directly by Trump just weeks or months before.

I wholly accept I might have demonised anyone who still believes Trumps lies about the Election result but they themselves have been taken in and demonised against American democracy and the rule of law in America which culminated in the events of the 6th January 2021.

Without Trumps continued lies about the Election result the events of 6th January would not have occurred - there would have been no rally for Trump, no march up Capitol Hill and no insurrection upon American Democracy, no deaths in the Capitol, no impeachment hearing, no impeachment.

It's that simple.

What I am asking is does anyone believe that Trump will ever believe the Election result, stop telling lies about it, and become part of the way ahead to heal the divisions within America?
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

"I think demonized is a little strong; the point I am making is that Trump has told lies about the election result and his supporters, not you should note all the 75 million who voted for him, but those supporters who still perpetuate the lies about the Election result and do not wish to engage in facts about the way the Election was conducted, the way the votes were counted and the totals of those vote counts."

You can't dismiss some of the unusual last minuet changes in state voting procedures that favored Biden.
I agree there were not enough votes to overturn the election, but not good for trusting Democratically
or anti Trumpster Republican controlled State officials. I agree that they pushed way to hard on the
stealing but I also think that Trump really believed it. Also, he had a consistent embellishing message
on any number of topics. However, I paid attention to the policies and ignored the rhetoric.

"Without Trumps continued lies about the Election result the events of 6th January would not have occurred - there would have been no rally for Trump, no march up Capitol Hill and no insurrection upon American Democracy, no deaths in the Capitol, no impeachment hearing, no impeachment."

I agree, but when he spoke just before the march he did state "peacefully and patriotically" but by then it was too late.

"What I am asking is does anyone believe that Trump will ever believe the Election result, stop telling lies about it, and become part of the way ahead to heal the divisions within America?"

No--I don't think so. He's too stubborn to admit his mistakes and the media won't admit to his successes.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Thanks for replying and your points of view.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

You have already censored the Saloon so that genie is out of the lamp.
sharkfan, duly noted, again this was done because it was getting ugly and we really don't want to see any infighting, as unity is and has always been our goal on this board [-o<

One comment that I do want to make is that I think we are aren't really debating politics here, but the actual politician, if you can call him that :roll:

I also find it interesting that members from other parts of the world are so in-depth in US politics :shock:

For instance, I have been following the Brexit story as it unfolded, but nowhere near this level :-"

And just to add a little levity, maybe we need a joke to put a positive spin on all of this [-o<

It's been said that the word "politics" comes from Latin, "poli" meaning many and "tics" inferring to blood sucking insects #-o

Now back to our usual programming \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black