Help Support Bigcoupe.com

Where to buy a parallel flow condenser?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: ron, bfons, GRNSHRK

mark22

Where to buy a parallel flow condenser?

Post by mark22 » Mon Jul 12, 2021 2:56 pm

Hello to all. I am rebuilding my AC system, all parts are original to the car. It 's an 87 M6. I have searched endlessly on the forum to find where to get a new condenser. I called Original Auto Car, Classic auto air, American Air, and all the other listed placed members have gotten condensers before. None of them produce them anymore. Is there a place where I can buy a "plug and play" unit, or should I should remove my current one and take it to a radiator shop to be cleaned?

Thanks
1987 M6 pre 6/87

635sharknose
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Re: Where to buy a parallel flow condenser?

Post by 635sharknose » Mon Jul 12, 2021 4:47 pm

Do you now have a parallel flow condenser on your car? The OEM ones are serpentine condensers.
I read about that there where plug and play units available in the past but to my knowledge they no longer exist.
You could surely re-use your original condenser, but if this is the OEM serpentine condenser I would rather switch to a bigger more efficient universal fit parallel flow condenser if I where you, especially as you live in TX where the temperatures can be high.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige

hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:14 pm

Used the search function? MANY threads about it. Song's thread is particularly helpful.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann";'87 325is "Odette"; '93 325is "Elvira"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"; '95 318is "Bebe"

GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK » Mon Jul 12, 2021 6:58 pm

Plus 1 with Ken, and I'm going to move your thread to the mechanical forum, likely to get more replies there [-o<

Song's very lengthy thread is in the "Projects" forum :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black

Jubilados

Post by Jubilados » Mon Jul 12, 2021 7:52 pm

I’ve done a search, but haven’t seen the answer to his question.
Song’s excellent thread, which I’ve read start to finish, has great info on adapting a universal parallel flow condenser, making the brackets, new hoses etc.
And it references possibly buying a “plug and play” condenser that will drop in, but it doesn’t say where one could buy that.
I’ll probably be replacing mine in the next year, so I’m also interested.
Is there a plug and play, drop in parallel flow condenser available for our cars?

mark22

Post by mark22 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 2:52 pm

Yes, I have done an exhaustive search including calling the businesses listed in the threads. I have called each of the aforementioned businesses as well and nobody has any knowledge or recall of the parallel condenser. One company denied ever having made one, even though I provided them with a part number which I found on this forum. So the answer to the question is yes, I have used the search function on this forum and I've also done the work to reach out to these places. I'm just looking for a little help.
1987 M6 pre 6/87

Jubilados

Post by Jubilados » Tue Jul 13, 2021 4:00 pm

My conclusion is that we’re stuck with using a universal and making new hoses to make it work.
Along those lines, I plan on buying a hose crimping kit and making my own hoses.
I think it’ll end up being less $$ than paying to have hoses made, and certainly save hassle and time driving back and forth to hose shops.

mark22

Post by mark22 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:45 pm

Update. After no luck finding a parallel flow condenser, I decided to go with Genuine BMW. One problem. BMW no longer makes a condenser for the car it appears as told to me by the parts agent. I guess I'll be reusing my old one and will try to do a flush and hope for the best.
1987 M6 pre 6/87

635sharknose
Bigcoupe 100 Post club

Post by 635sharknose » Wed Jul 14, 2021 3:20 pm

As mentioned in my previous post, you could surely re-use your original condenser, but as this a serpentine condenser I would rather switch to a bigger more efficient universal fit parallel flow condenser if I where you, especially as you live in TX where the temperatures can be high.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige