Going low - E24 coilover options

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jorge

Going low - E24 coilover options

Post by Jorge »

Hi there,

First post, I've taken a good search around before asking too, but sometimes the search terms never find what you are looking for.

I'm George from the UK, looking to buy some kind of E24 over the next couple of weeks, I'm a part of the whole 'Stanceworks' scene so I'm looking to get the car sitting low, like very low.

I'd read online that GAZ do a nice kit for them at around ?600 which was what I was aiming to spend but after emailing them they want ?725+VAT and a few other bits, so nearer 1k than the ?600 you hear people saying on forums.

What other options are out there, I don't want some ?200 ebay stuff, even though I have that on my E46 and I must say I am very impressed, but I don't want to get some ?1000 high performance coilovers when my goal is to get it sitting on the ground.

For anyone interested this is my current car, and I think it is too high haha.

IMG_9533 - Version 2 by Jorge-, on Flickr
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

if you lower an E24 that much you will wreck the front spoiler as the front overhang is much more than on an E46. If you want to lower more than normal, you can introduce a spacer into the front upright assy; this gives a better camber set-up.

You can get coil-over sleeves (e.g. rally design I think) added to the stock suspension components, and these give infinite spring and ride height permutations.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
ZROSSA

Post by ZROSSA »

I like low cars! I have lowerd my 79 635 so that the front crossmember sits about 110 mm above the road. The law in N.Z. states that 100mm clearence is the minimum. Anyway, It doesnt really look that low. The wheels are not tucked up in the guards in fact the tires have about 10 mm gap in the front and sit flush in the rear.

The springs are "modified" factory on the front with factory rear ones on adjustable purches. The result......Any slow speed bumps while cornering sharply rubs the front gaurds (they need to be rolled now), If I accelerate quickly in first or second and hit a bump the rear hits the bump stops, and getting into drive ways results in scraping the tow points in the front and probably the sump. I dont have a front spoiler, I suspect it would be gone now if I did. I have some coil overs in the shed which will be going on in time. The stiffer set up will obvoiusly make the car less compliant so hopefully will iliminate some of the problems. The springs will be in the 350 to 400 lbs/inch range.

If you go any lower you will need to be stiffer by a considerable amount, Get somebump steer spacers for the front like brucey sugested, and a camber caster kit for the rear. I would also make a sump gaurd!

Good luck! Look forward to seeing it done!

Cheers,

Douglas
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Thanks, I'm not too concerned with the issues of getting it low yet, it more just the case of how I do it.

I want coilovers really, and as you say the stiffer the better so I will be looking for some very tough spring rates when the time comes, but until that time comes I want to find out what coilovers are out there for sale.

This is the kit I've been pointed towards by other forums, http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... =674/CA=68
ZROSSA

Post by ZROSSA »

Unless you are going to make your own drop spindals then coil overs are the only way to go. I have ground control on my 260z. The sleaves are alumininium, I think i would prefer steel ones if doing it again. Have a look at the Ireland eng. ones as well. I am making my own from a set of mitsi evo ones I picked up for the right price.

Cheers,

Douglas
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is a little light reading ..... there will be a test after :shock: :mrgreen:

Ground Control Coil Overs:
Ground Control Aren't recommended, read Jon's Saga:
viewtopic.php?t=11364
More info: viewtopic.php?t=4216&

Ireland Engineering - Coil Overs:
http://store.nexternal.com/ireland/coil ... -p213.aspx
More suspension listings: http://store.nexternal.com/ireland/e24- ... -c140.aspx

NEX Coil Overs: Don't know anything about them. Try a Google search:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... ?t=1247834

And then there are the "GAZ Gold" coil overs in the UK. Don't know anything about them either. Try a Google search:
(Scroll to the bottom): http://www.gaz-shocks.co.uk/product.html

Some info from mye28.com about Lowering Spring Sets:

1. Stock .................................... - ~166 lb/in - 0mm drop (Stock height)

2. M-technik, BMW ..................... - ~193 lb/in - 20mm drop fr/rr

3. Dinan (Stage 1-4, #D100-0417) - ~200-220 lb/in - ~20mm drop fr/rr or 5/8ths to 3/4 in. drop (also Spring Set #D100-0442 - less expensive, for Euro M5/M635)

4. Ireland Engineering ................ - Supposedly duplicates the N/A Dinan springs but with just a bit stiffer front spring.

5. Suspension Technique (#60065) - ~200 lb/in - 20-25mm drop fr/rr

6. Bavarian Autosport .................. - ~200 lb/in - 32mm drop or 1.25 in. drop

7. Alpina .................................... - ~200 lb/in - ~20mm drop

8. Hartge ................................... - ~220-240 lb/in - 35mm drop

9. Eibach ................................... - ~220-240 lb/in - 30mm/35mm drop, or 1.2/1.4 in. drop

10. H&R Springs ........................... - ~220-240 lb/in - 32mm drop, or 1.25 in. drop

11. Racing Dynamics .................... - ~274 lb/in - 32mm drop, or 1.25 in. drop
___

Everyone seems to forget the Sway Bars, but they are probably among the first things to change when tightening up a street car:

Sway Bar Information:
viewtopic.php?t=10124&
viewtopic.php?t=4952&

And, of course, to control the alignment:

Caster / Camber Adjustment Plates.:
Front:
viewtopic.php?t=4883&
viewtopic.php?t=9144&

Rear:
Klaus - viewtopic.php?t=6997&
MWrench PDF - viewtopic.php?t=9322&
Longer slotted 2002 kit: viewtopic...=104739#104739
nomorebmws

Post by nomorebmws »

Jorge wrote:Thanks, I'm not too concerned with the issues of getting it low yet, it more just the case of how I do it.

I want coilovers really, and as you say the stiffer the better so I will be looking for some very tough spring rates when the time comes, but until that time comes I want to find out what coilovers are out there for sale.

This is the kit I've been pointed towards by other forums, http://www.ground-control-store.com/pro ... =674/CA=68
Cut the ones you have in the car, that's all you need to do, no need to buy expensive coil overs, :lol:
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

I like extensive replies. Everything I have been going on so far is from American members and owners, I've been getting advice from Mike Burroughs, you have probably seen his 6er around online?

that is the height I am looking for.

I will get reading your reply now and give a more detailed reply myself afterwards. I read a lot more into it last night, and was swaying towards the Rallydesign stuff, my only stumbling point has been finding appropriate shocks and where to buy them from. The cost was around ?180 for the kit, plus around ?70 for a full set of springs at a custom size then just need to find new shocks I think.

Spring wise, I am just waiting for Mike to get back to me on what spring rate he was running but it was like a 5" spring rather than the usual 7".
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

[quote="Jorge"]I like extensive replies. Everything I have been going on so far is from American members and owners, I've been getting advice from Mike Burroughs, you have probably seen his 6er around online?

that is the height I am looking for.

and was swaying towards the Rallydesign stuff, my only stumbling point has been finding appropriate shocks and where to buy them from. quote]

-well if that is the height you want, best lay in a big stock of front spoilers..... mind you I had a mad thought, why not spring load it and put a castor wheel under the sharknose?

-you can use stock shocks for a coilover experment, and different bump-stops to control wheel movement intially. Having set these things, I'd suggest getting a set of Bilsteins valved to match your springs. The UK Bilstein agent is in the midlands somewhere and they are just itching to give you a custom re-build, I am sure.

cheers
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Thanks, but again, it isn't for performance I am looking to do this, you may find it wrong or whatever to do this. The clearance in that picture looks more than enough for me to get around easily enough.

Bilstein UK are in the midlands you say? I'll drop them a message now.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

Jorge wrote:Thanks, but again, it isn't for performance I am looking to do this, you may find it wrong or whatever to do this. The clearance in that picture looks more than enough for me to get around easily enough.
'wrong'?? nooo, each to his own and all that, we're a broad enough church here..... but having said this most 6ers have a grazed snout underneath, and that is when it is twice as far off the road to start with.....

I think I have contact details for the tech bloke at Bilstein UK, so let me know if you have troubles getting in contact with the right man.

good luck with your project!

cheers
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Supply of spoilers, hell! You'll need a supply of oil pans! :shock:

Just an 1.25" drop and people are ripping out their oil pans! I realize that this is a "Look" so it is not a daily driver, just be forwarned and have fun. :wink: 8)
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

Haha, I'll be getting the sump reinforced I think, and if possible look at engine raisers, but those troubles can come once it is sitting low.

I'll just drive it at 20mph everywhere looking awesome instead.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Jorge wrote:Haha, I'll be getting the sump reinforced I think, and if possible look at engine raisers, but those troubles can come once it is sitting low.

I'll just drive it at 20mph everywhere looking awesome instead.
Here was a group buy on skid plates sometime ago:
http://forums.bimmerforums.com/forum/sh ... skid+plate

This guy has made skid plates:
http://www.666fabrication.com/

Val_C has one from 666:
viewtopic.php?t=5523&highlight=skid+plate*
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

666fabrication links are all dead :( ?

Might be viewing a 6er this week
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Jorge wrote:666fabrication links are all dead :( ?

Might be viewing a 6er this week
That is why I gave you a good one:

This guy has made skid plates:
http://www.666fabrication.com/

BTW, is that a Beech (Sundowner??) in your photo?
Jorge

Post by Jorge »

I couldn't tell you if I am honest, it was just at the airfield where there was a car show so grabbed a couple of pictures next to it.

Yeah I meant all the links to pictures/details of the E24 skidplate are all dead, wanted to see the design and work out if I could fabricate similar or not.
billy bee

Re: Going low - E24 coilover options

Post by billy bee »

I have posted here before about our E12-based E24 race car. We just got coil overs for it from Yellow Speed Racing. They are HQ'd in Taiwan but have an office in El Paso, TX. I thought the price for them was quite reasonable at $975US. The quality looks to be very good.

We are still in the process of fitting our new coil overs to the car. I will probably start a new thread about the process. So, keep an eye out. But I will say here that they are built to allow for a very wide ride height range. Actually, I am a little concerned that the rears will be too low, but we have not gotten to weighing the car and setting the ride height just yet. We are open to suggestions on a starting point for ride height if anybody has good information.

One more thing, the suspension geometry in the front gets a little wonky when you go really low. We will be taking a close look at that, too.

More to come,
Bill