1981 635csi E12 based standard shocks and springs

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

smeats

1981 635csi E12 based standard shocks and springs

Post by smeats »

Hi, sorry if this has been asked before but I can't find a definitive answer. At the risk of sounding like an old fart, I would like to replace the shocks and springs on my series 1 635csi as close to stock height and comfort as possible. Springs don't seem to be too hard to get but the OME Boge are no longer available the only decent option for an early 6er like mine are Bilstein B6 shocks. I'm concerned that the ride will be a bit harsh with them and weather they will work well without lowering springs?last time I bought a mish mash of E12 suspension in a hurry from ebay to get it through it's MOT! It has Gabriel rear shocks, Monroe front shocks and standard height Bilstein springs all round (not sure what rating the springs are but they seem stronger and a little more harsh than I'd like)
Thanks for reading! In short what would you recommend to get my early E12 based 635csi as close to stock height and comfort as possible?
1981 635CSI series 1
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1981 635csi E12 based standard shocks and springs

Post by bpoliakoff »

Bilstein B4 sometimes referred to as Touring are replacement for OEM and available at Shock Warehouse or so there website says. Way better way to go than Boge. As to springs, if you are really concerned, go to the dealer and buy OEMs B6s are fine without lowering springs but not a good choice if using lowering springs They have the same valving as B8s so a bit harsher ride with stock springs. The B4s will give you a stock ride. B6s for a tiny bit of performance could be considered by you other wise B4s as I said. DO NOT ORDER BILSTEIN SHOCKS FROM ANYONE UNLESS THEY TELL YOU THEY HAVE THEM ON HAND. Many places will take your money and tell you they are coming in a few weeks. Basically BS Any known dealer will issue a refund if they don't but try to stay away from that scenario
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
smeats

Post by smeats »

Thanks for taking the time to answer, I haven't been able to find any place that stock Boge shocks that fit my car and when I tried Shock Warehouse I got no results for 1981 635csi but as it's a US company I tried 1981 633csi it gave Bilstein B6 and KYB as options! I tried Bilstein UK website and B6 was the only available product for my year of model so it looks like The Bilstein B6 is the way to go especially as you and others have let me know they're suitable for standard height springs! Thanks again for the advice 👍
1981 635CSI series 1
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

Absolutely make sure the shocks are for an E12 chassis when ordering. Did you trry looking for B4s? I think the B6s will be satisfactory
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
smeats

Post by smeats »

Yeah I tried, B4 Bilsteins were available for later 635s but not the earlier E12 based models like mine cheers
1981 635CSI series 1