E12 based e24 take same struts as 5er? and Koni help needed

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jriviera

E12 based e24 take same struts as 5er? and Koni help needed

Post by jriviera »

Hello,

Are the strut inserts for an e12 5er the same as the ones for an e12 based 6er? I think I found some Koni's listed for an e12 but want to verify. Also, does anyone have an old Koni catalog that can verify what the e12 Koni part # is?

Thanks!

John
Klaus

Re: E12 based e24 take same struts as 5er? and Koni help needed

Post by Klaus »

Yes, E12 based 5 and 6 series uses the same red Koni's.
Part numbers are as follow:
Front E12 based: 86 2017
Rear E12 based: 82 2161

Just a piece of advise, I was not happy with them, even at the hardest setting. They were soft enough to bottom out with stock springs and almost undrivable with lowering springs. I went to a set of Bilstein Sports and while the E12 ones are out of production the E9 ones were still available and a perfect fit. Lower perch needed to go 2 grooves down for ride height.

I hope this helps
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: E12 based e24 take same struts as 5er? and Koni help needed

Post by bpoliakoff »

I have a set of early car front sports with less than 7K miles on them. A friend trashed his E12 years ago and been on my shelf since

As to the Konis, I am running ing oil filled fronts and gas rears. The fronts were rebuilt in total with valving the re builder designed, and I didn't use the rears that came with them and are rebuilt as well . The car is lowered about1 1/2 inches and rides great
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.