steering shudder between 45 and 50 mph

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

fogleman

steering shudder between 45 and 50 mph

Post by fogleman »

Has anyone had a strong shudder in their steering wheel, only while going between 45 and 50 mph? The tires are balanced, the fluid is fine...don't know what it is. I have a 1989 635. Any help would be appreciated. thanks
KC Ron Carter

Hmm,

Post by KC Ron Carter »

The tire bounces and the suspension is weak and just keeps bouncing.

The pulsations are most likely the thrust arm bushings.
OE was rubber and if sags it can cause the steering wheel to pulse 2 inches on brake application. Most use eurothane bushings that never need replaced. BMW came out with the 750i bushings requiring the installer to grind the bushing down to fit the e24.

Here is a link to Paul Gray, Grunt, who makes a replacement for this bad deal.

http://www.gruntsbushings.com/index.html

Bad:

Thrust arms with new bushings installed.

There is also the steering gearbox mount.
The horizontal bolts have never been an issue.

BMW has done two recalls on the vertical bolts to replace them and inspect the loop mount. They know about it but will not pay to fix it.

The BMW fix is a new engine cradle.

The issue on the loop mount was that it had to move when the steering was at maximum deflection. The gear box is not square to the steering link so when at full throw the mount needs to move to compensate.

Many owners tried to make it rigid and the mount would fail again.

Here is a link to a Dallas site that has done many welded repairs, and he has redone those same mounts.

http://www.teamdfl.com/bmw/e28/frontsub ... frame.html

I sell a kit to correct this with no welding, for $26 plus $5 shipping in US, or $6 to UK.

What my kit does is move the load from the loop mount to the upper and lower side of the engine cradle. Even with the loop mount gone I have seen cars with my kit go for over 30k with no issues.

The real deal wear and tear is when the upper and lower link bushings need replace and the steering wheel jumps 1 to 2 inches at every pavement joint.

That is the rapid movement that will fail the OE loop mount and the welded repairs.

When the loop mount breaks the steering will develop a 3 inch side to side play in the steering making it not drivable.