Noise from the steering pump

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ElectricSix

Noise from the steering pump

Post by ElectricSix »

Hi gang,
Noticed that since the weather has turned chillier over the last few weeks, the steering pump on my 6has been making odd complaints on start up after an overnight cold soak. Once I've done a few miles on the way to work, things seem to settle and she's as right as rain. Steering does feel stiff until it settles. Is there anything I can do to improve matters? Or is it time for a new pump?

Any advice greatfully received
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Steering noise

Post by ron »

Check condition and tension of belt first.
UKDaveJ

Re: Noise from the steering pump

Post by UKDaveJ »

ElectricSix wrote:Hi gang,
Noticed that since the weather has turned chillier over the last few weeks, the steering pump on my 6has been making odd complaints on start up after an overnight cold soak. Once I've done a few miles on the way to work, things seem to settle and she's as right as rain. Steering does feel stiff until it settles. Is there anything I can do to improve matters? Or is it time for a new pump?

Any advice greatfully received
Interesting point, the answer to your problem will hopefully help another 6 owner.
My brother-in-law (non pc-owning person, so doesn't do forums etc) has a 1989 Highline & he has been experiencing 'noise' from his steering pump in the morning, which then quietens to the point of disappearance as the engine warms up......

We both think it is a failing/failed bearing, but are not 100% sure.

Look forward to hearing others' thoughts.

Dave 8)
craigt

Post by craigt »

Had this on mine,

Tensioning the belt correctly should solve it (unless it genuinely is the bearings, you can check this by loosening the belt off completly and spinning the pulley by hand, you should be able to 'feel' any play or roughness in the bearing).

If tensioning the belt works but only for a little while then replace the belt (they loose there elasticity with age).

Hope this helps
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

Thanks Craig & ron, I'll pass this on!

Dave 8)
Particle

Hello!

Post by Particle »

Hello everyone!
I'm Particle from the e24 roadfly forum.

I was browsing through here when this topic caught my eye. I basicly have the same problem with my pump. It randomly makes obscene noises when the engine is at low rpms. When I go in a turn I MUST have my foot on the throttle or the wheel starts to sease up.

I took out my pump (i have pictures if anyone wants to know what it looksl like) along with other parts to do some learning and cleaning. As far as I can tell the bearings are good. the unit is a newer referb ~1996. There is no play side to side. There is 1-2mm in-out play. I think the unit is okay and it must have been the belt.

/particle
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I agree the belt is the #1 suspect.

However there is another possibility; the fluid reservoir filter. This sits in the bottom of the PAS/brake booster fluid reservoir. If it should become clogged, as is common with age, then the pump will be merrily trying to suck fluid through it. This will cause cavitation in the oil which is both a foul noise and is going to wear the pump prematurely.

A considerable quantity of oil has to flow through the filter shortly after startup especially if the brake 'bomb' discharges slowly through a leaky valve or something overnight.

Once the car is warm, so is the oil and it will flow more easily through the filter; the problem mysteriously goes away.

I think there were some posts on this topic a while back on bcg, but I don't think the noise was described in detail.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horsetan

Re: Noise from the steering pump

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:....My brother-in-law (non pc-owning person, so doesn't do forums etc) ....
...thereby saving a lot of money on internet access, PC upgrades, etc....

...therefore more money to spend on car.... :D