Front discs (or rotors)

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:Yes, thanks Dave. Knew I could count on your support..... :roll: :wink:
Support - of course! Thought it quite obvious from James' post, mind you at times obvious is not always obvious - obviously...... :lol: :roll: :wink:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

UKDaveJ wrote:Support - of course! Thought it quite obvious from James' post, mind you at times obvious is not always obvious - obviously...... :lol: :roll: :wink:
*groan*

That reminds me of the sayings of one Donald Rumsfeld, e.g.

"As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know."

(?Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing)
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
UKDaveJ wrote:Support - of course! Thought it quite obvious from James' post, mind you at times obvious is not always obvious - obviously...... :lol: :roll: :wink:
*groan*

That reminds me of the sayings of one Donald Rumsfeld, e.g.

"As we know,
There are known knowns.
There are things we know we know.
We also know
There are known unknowns.
That is to say
We know there are some things
We do not know.
But there are also unknown unknowns,
The ones we don't know
We don't know."

(?Feb. 12, 2002, Department of Defense news briefing)
Classic quote there mate!!
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Front discs

Post by ron »

What brake fluid? Any preferences?
sohlman

Post by sohlman »

Dot 5:1 has the highest boiling point and is what i will be using on my six. I have some AP stuff.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

some say that DOT 5.1 isn't the best thing for ABS equipped vehicles because it foams more easily than DOT3 or DOT4.

Any comments anyone?

It may be a moot point as I've only had my ABS intervene once or twice, but I'd like it to work its best when I need it.

Cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
horsetan

Re: Front discs

Post by horsetan »

ron wrote:What brake fluid? Any preferences?
Just got back from a late night brake test on the M1. :wink: (A certain needle was seen to briefly touch "135" before coming back down in a hurry.)

I've used original-spec BMW DoT4 fluid to do a complete change, as that was the only thing I could get my hands on in a hurry.

As you know, my old fluid had gone very very brown. Even this simple change gives a noticeably sharper response from the brake pedal. :D

Euro Car Parts had plenty of ATE "Super Blue" fluid on the shelf, but couldn't find it in their database, so couldn't sell it to me! :(
horsetan

Two-week report on the new disc / pad combination

Post by horsetan »

I've now had the ATE Power Discs on for a fortnight, combined with Pagid "fast road" pads. New calipers were fitted this past weekend, as well as the complete DoT4 fluid change.

So far, we're doing OK. Things are that much sharper than before, which is as they should be.

Dust. Although we are in the middle of a WCUK winter (i.e. very damp and windy, and that's nothin' to do with what I have for breakfast every morning), and it may well be that some of the crap on the metric alloys is due to the crap on the road surfaces, plus horse-related crap from the stables, I really don't think the dust streaks left behind are that much lighter than what I was getting with the previous Textar pads.

The Textars would give you a liberal coating of grey powder after just one 16-mile round trip, most of it on the M1, to and from the stables.

I will clean the alloys off again this weekend, and see how much grey dust is deposited again in the week following.....
carrie

Post by carrie »

did you ever see the clarkson programme about motoring round the world. the guy in cuba making brakefluid with something like cooking oil, washingup liquid and sugar.
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

carrie wrote:did you ever see the clarkson programme about motoring round the world. the guy in cuba making brakefluid with something like cooking oil, washingup liquid and sugar.
*blurgh*

This is more detail than I really need....
carrie

Post by carrie »

hey some of us are on a buget. (not ruling anything out)
UKDaveJ

Budget brake pads....., any takers?!

Post by UKDaveJ »

carrie wrote:hey some of us are on a buget. (not ruling anything out)
Ask him nicely & I'm sure Ivan will save up his used brake dust so you can format your own 'budget' pads....... :wink: :lol:

!

Dave 8)
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

As I recall one of the major ingredients in the Cuban 'brake fluid' was shampoo.....

Nice clean brakes then.....

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
carrie

Post by carrie »

Brucey wrote:As I recall one of the major ingredients in the Cuban 'brake fluid' was shampoo.....

cheers
doh!! you were right :( now i have to make a new batch,
what is the compression value for the pads.
i have plenty of dust i'm going to use from my golfs wheel, thanks for the offer though 8)
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Brucey wrote:As I recall one of the major ingredients in the Cuban 'brake fluid' was shampoo.....

Yes, you just "wash and go"....
horsetan

Re: Three-week report on the new disc / pad combination

Post by horsetan »

horsetan wrote:...I will clean the alloys off again this weekend, and see how much grey dust is deposited again in the week following.....
The metric alloys (including Dave's one on the n/s/f!) are gleaming again, and the brake dust accumulation test has recommenced.....