handbrake cables

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

carrie

handbrake cables

Post by carrie »

how hard are these to change do you need to take the gearbox out? or are the cables over ?100. as i have been quoted ?200
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Handbrake cables

Post by ron »

Hi Carrie, You don't need to take the gearbox out.The job itself is a PITA to do as there is a fair bit to dismantle.From what I remember the cables were about ?30.00 each but check with Europarts/Motormec etc.It's a fiddly job as the rear discs and handbrake mechanism inside need dismantling.The cables run in conduits from the handbrake lever and are clipped to the radius arms.A reasonable mechanic should be able to do the job in about 3 hours ish!! Good luck.Ron.
carrie

Post by carrie »

thanks ron, i wasnt shure and wanted to check as most cars i have owned needed very little effort to remove/replace them.
i assume this mean they are not of the type that are in otuer coverings and are just exposed cables then.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Handbrake cables

Post by ron »

No they are not exposed cables.The inner cables run inside outer sheaths and you have to change the whole lot unfortunately.What's wrong with your existing cables? Ron.
carrie

Post by carrie »

apparently they are rusty.

thinks for a minute....
:idea:
where is my lighter, what was the agreed value :twisted:
carrie

Post by carrie »

great i live on a hill and my handbrake is now gone. life just gets better and better. i also have to hot wire it as the ign switch has gone. :evil: :evil:
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

It's really not your week this week, is it?
carrie

Post by carrie »

funnily enough my life has gone downhill ever since i got the 6, might call it christine
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

carrie wrote:funnily enough my life has gone downhill ever since i got the 6
Wait 'til you start getting the regular bills in.....

might call it christine
Damian would be better. Six Six Six. Geddit? :roll: