Ride height

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

craigt

Ride height

Post by craigt »

Can anybody verify what the unladen ride height should be with standard springs on my 88 highline.
The car is running 17" rims with 215/45/17 tyres
I'm trying to determine if my springs are on their way out

Cheers
craigt

Ride height

Post by craigt »

Come on guys, someone must be able to help.
Just need a figure from the ground to the lip of the wheel arch front and back, get your tape measures out.
First time i've posted and got zero replies ! Not like this board.

Cheers
feck

Post by feck »

Craig, I've just had all my suspension replaced with standard Highline gear, the ride heights on my car (89 Highline) are;

Front 67.5cm

Rear 68cm

I measured from the ground across the centre of the wheel up to the underside of the wheel arch.

Hope this helps,
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

feck wrote:Craig, I've just had all my suspension replaced with standard Highline gear, the ride heights on my car (89 Highline) are;

Front 67.5cm

Rear 68cm

I measured from the ground across the centre of the wheel up to the underside of the wheel arch.
Ah, this must be the stuff I sent down..... :wink:
craigt

Post by craigt »

Craig, I've just had all my suspension replaced with standard Highline gear, the ride heights on my car (89 Highline) are;

Front 67.5cm

Rear 68cm

Hope this helps
Thanks Feck.

Do you have wheel arch extensions on as my readings are about 1cm lower at the front and nearly 2.5cm lower at the back. Do you have the same wheel tyre combo ?

This plus a margin for error may account for the difference.

Anybody else got a reading for comparison ?

Cheers
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

craigt wrote:...Do you have wheel arch extensions on...
All "Highlines" had the plastic wheelarch extensions. Perfect for hiding those embarassing little rust patches.....
UKDaveJ

Post by UKDaveJ »

horsetan wrote:
craigt wrote:...Do you have wheel arch extensions on...
All "Highlines" had the plastic wheelarch extensions. Perfect for hiding those embarassing little rust patches.....
:idea: :idea: ....can you still get the extensions.....?! :roll: :wink:

I'll do some measuring CraigT, but recall my highline being some 35mm (if not 45mm - i forget) lower than my '84 635. As the cars were parked side by side on my drive when I did it, I noticed the visual height difference anyway - it was that visual that prompted the measure.

My highline has to be driven onto pieces of 6" x2" just so I can get a trolley jack under the diff! No such problems with the 84 car.
Don't know whether the 6 susp is standard, uprated or what, but it's considerably firmer than the 84 car.

Dave 8)