Fuel hose questions

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Candycj1

Fuel hose questions

Post by Candycj1 »

Hi all

I'm replacing the fuel lines & hoses on my 11/87 euro highline and am now in the engine bay. RealOEM gave me two part numbers for the hoses that connect the fuel lines from under the car to the rail (supply) and pressure regulator (return). I got both parts from the dealer but they're a little different to mine so wanted to check with others here whether mine was a user mod or original (RealOEM is occasionally wrong, possibly as mine is a changeover year).

So - the return hose i had on mine was actually in two sections - there's a coupler joining the two pieces together just under the manifold; the replacement from BMW is a single piece. The top part of the replacement looks identical to what came off the car. Anyone know if at some point BMW did split this hose? I can't think of an obvious reason to do so - maybe a PO was doing some pressure tests or maybe part of the original hose was damaged so they replaced with regular 8*13. The picture below shows the part that was on mine and the replacement. I've put the new one on the car as its the same length / routing and other than not being in two sections like the one thatv was on the car, it looks 'right', even having a nice gap in the protective sleeve for the manifold clip.

The supply hose however is quite different, in length as well as orientation / routing. The one on the car comes straight out of the rail, across the top of the inlet manifold then routes down through the middle of the manifold, essentially then meeting up with the return hose underneath and routing to the lines from there. It is again in two sections with a coupler in the middle - in fact it looks identical to the return hose that was on the car. The replacement from BMW has a right-angled bend at the end and is shorter - it looks like its supposed to route down through the manifold almost immediately it exits the rail rather than in the middle - and there is a convenient gap there where it would go - though i'm not sure where its supposed to route from there, although it is certainly long enough to reach the fuel supply line. Here's a pic of what's on the car (you can also see the new one that i was 'trial fitting' next to it):
and here's the BMW replacement viewed out of the car - its not on the car yet pending your input guys...

The supply looks to me more like an owner mod - the hose routing over the top of the manifold looks clumsy and it looks like someone has simply used a return hose as a supply.

Can someone out there with a late euro highline confirm what the hoses should be like and how the supply hose particularly should route from the line to the rail?

Thanks
Candycj1

Re: Fuel hose questions

Post by Candycj1 »

Nobody able to give any advice...?
anchored

Re: Fuel hose questions

Post by anchored »

I recently replaced mine with 5/16 fuel hose. and cut it to size. I needed to do it ASAP so I did not bother with the dealer and OEM.
SHRKATK - Red 87' 635csi