Cruise not cancelling

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Cruise not cancelling

Post by 86_6series »

Had this 86 for 33 years. Posting this after drinking Gentleman Jack so excuse my spelling.
Never installed the clutch switch with the 5 speed swap.
I felt I didn't need it because the switch and brakes always canceled.
Cruise control always worked with the auto box and the 5 speed swap.
So engaged the cruise going along no problem, went to cancel from switch no cancel.
Stepped on the brake no cancel. Holley shit, stomping on the brakes slowed me down but engine
was still pulling. No room on the Palisades Parkway to into shoulder to shut down engine.

I thought to shift to third from fifth to slow it down. I pressed the clutch and shifted to third
really quick and of course the engine revved to about 6300 and went to idle. Thank you
Harry Truman.(My favorite president).

Two days later, again down the Palisades Parkway I Tried it again. Engaged and cancelled the cruise several times
with both switch and brakes, worked fine. Left it engaged but when I went to cancel the same problem.
Heavy on the brakes, working the switch up & down no joy.
I again attempted to downshift to third from fifth, this time the engine only revved to about 4500
and the cruise cancelled.

Just for info, I have a stand alone Haltech, so the ECU is not an issue.
The Haltech does not give info to the OBC for mileage info. No fuel mileage left or average speed etc.

I searched Bimmerforums,Mye28, and Big Coupe--no joy.

I looked @ the ETM and will check the ground @ pin #9 and for a stuck cruise cable.

However, has anyone experienced this scenario that could give me a heads up on a known solution?

I'll also post on Bimmerforums and MyE28 for any info.

Time for another glass of the sweet nectar and a Parodi.

Thanks Bob V
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3