Fuel line replacement

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

Fuel line replacement

Post by Jlc »

I recently noted a fuel smell and small puddle near fill side when parked after a fill up and am troubleshooting. The puddle only was there for a short while and did not reappear but I have not filled up recently, nor is the smell there anymore.

I am thinking:
Filler tube leak?
Overfill and leak?

My plan is to replace the old fuel lines, any suggestion on source / what to use? Other ideas as to cause?
I also plan to have the tank checked, cleaned and coated as well in case it's not the lines and as a preventative. Fuel filter will be replaced as well.

Did a search on site but didn't find anything - any place to look for tips?
85 635CSi Bronzit
Tommys 89 635

Re: Fuel line replacement

Post by Tommys 89 635 »

I experienced this years ago, the problem was an overfill and also the road was not level. Now when the pump stops, I tend not to top off. Best to take a look, check the connections and the rubber lines. As you mentioned, probably a good idea to change the fuel lines and filter. I had my fuel lines (from tank to engine) changed 1 1/2 years ago, it was the original set from 1989. Good luck.
Tommy
1989 635 CSI (Second owner since Jun 1995, driven daily and retired in 2013 with 295k to occasional driving)
2011 335D (Daily driver) with 103,550
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Thanks. What did you use to do the replacement?

Jim
85 635CSi Bronzit
GAflyer

Post by GAflyer »

Jim,
I had the exact same thing happen a few years back. Filled tank, put the M6 in garage and later smelled fuel and observed a small puddle on the floor below the filler door. Probably slightly overfilled, because it never happened again. Got my attention though, and I watched carefully for any recurrence.

Your plan to renew any original fuel lines etc is no doubt a prudent idea regardless, but the problem could be an isolated instance. I have not replaced mine, but probably should.
Rob Welch

1988 M6 Black/ Lotus
2000 528i Orient Blue/ Tan
1981 911SC Targa Wine Red/ Gray
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

There are 3 vent lines running from the fuel filler neck to the expansion tank, visible below the rubber splash guard which is easily removed. Check these first s the most likely cause. Else fuel cap gasket or tank filler neck to tank connection.

If none of these the external fuel pumps can and do suddenly leak leaving a puddle under the car (mine did).
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Thanks I assume standard fuel lines will work
85 635CSi Bronzit
jps635
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by jps635 »

I assume you mean the flexible lines. Most are 6x11mm so no, not standard and not imperial. Look on realOEM under fuel supply for your particular vehicle. Those connecting the fuel pump and filter are larger. I found fuel injection hose clamps don't cut into the hose like iubilee clamps
'85 635csi JPS (RA2-66)
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Thanks
85 635CSi Bronzit