Where to buy a parallel flow condenser?

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mark22

Where to buy a parallel flow condenser?

Post by mark22 »

Hello to all. I am rebuilding my AC system, all parts are original to the car. It 's an 87 M6. I have searched endlessly on the forum to find where to get a new condenser. I called Original Auto Car, Classic auto air, American Air, and all the other listed placed members have gotten condensers before. None of them produce them anymore. Is there a place where I can buy a "plug and play" unit, or should I should remove my current one and take it to a radiator shop to be cleaned?

Thanks
1987 M6 pre 6/87
635sharknose

Re: Where to buy a parallel flow condenser?

Post by 635sharknose »

Do you now have a parallel flow condenser on your car? The OEM ones are serpentine condensers.
I read about that there where plug and play units available in the past but to my knowledge they no longer exist.
You could surely re-use your original condenser, but if this is the OEM serpentine condenser I would rather switch to a bigger more efficient universal fit parallel flow condenser if I where you, especially as you live in TX where the temperatures can be high.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Used the search function? MANY threads about it. Song's thread is particularly helpful.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Plus 1 with Ken, and I'm going to move your thread to the mechanical forum, likely to get more replies there [-o<

Song's very lengthy thread is in the "Projects" forum :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

I’ve done a search, but haven’t seen the answer to his question.
Song’s excellent thread, which I’ve read start to finish, has great info on adapting a universal parallel flow condenser, making the brackets, new hoses etc.
And it references possibly buying a “plug and play” condenser that will drop in, but it doesn’t say where one could buy that.
I’ll probably be replacing mine in the next year, so I’m also interested.
Is there a plug and play, drop in parallel flow condenser available for our cars?
mark22

Post by mark22 »

Yes, I have done an exhaustive search including calling the businesses listed in the threads. I have called each of the aforementioned businesses as well and nobody has any knowledge or recall of the parallel condenser. One company denied ever having made one, even though I provided them with a part number which I found on this forum. So the answer to the question is yes, I have used the search function on this forum and I've also done the work to reach out to these places. I'm just looking for a little help.
1987 M6 pre 6/87
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

My conclusion is that we’re stuck with using a universal and making new hoses to make it work.
Along those lines, I plan on buying a hose crimping kit and making my own hoses.
I think it’ll end up being less $$ than paying to have hoses made, and certainly save hassle and time driving back and forth to hose shops.
mark22

Post by mark22 »

Update. After no luck finding a parallel flow condenser, I decided to go with Genuine BMW. One problem. BMW no longer makes a condenser for the car it appears as told to me by the parts agent. I guess I'll be reusing my old one and will try to do a flush and hope for the best.
1987 M6 pre 6/87
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

As mentioned in my previous post, you could surely re-use your original condenser, but as this a serpentine condenser I would rather switch to a bigger more efficient universal fit parallel flow condenser if I where you, especially as you live in TX where the temperatures can be high.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

In my thread below you can see how I bought an aftermarket and fitted it quite easily. I did make some custom hoses, but you could have them made, and buy adapters to use original stuff too.

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=21047

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

mark22 wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 1:45 pm Update. After no luck finding a parallel flow condenser, I decided to go with Genuine BMW. One problem. BMW no longer makes a condenser for the car it appears as told to me by the parts agent. I guess I'll be reusing my old one and will try to do a flush and hope for the best.
Did you try eBay? They are all over the place there and you just have to get one with the right dimensions. I think that's where I got mine. It's performed extremely well over the years. Just used it yesterday on a 90 degree day (very unusual where I live) and the A/C was fine.

Here's a link to a search for "Universal Parallel flow condensers".
https://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R ... &_osacat=0
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I bought my after market condenser, exact bolt in, from my local a/c shop several years ago for about $175. It was a direct bolt in and all fittings in their proper place.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

I ended up doing a full redo of the AC on my car.
For the condenser, I used a 16x20 universal parallel flow.
It was a very tight fit on the 20” width, I had to use short drop fittings and it was still close.
That 16x20 was the biggest surface area universal that I could find that would fit.
Ideal would be 20x20 or 20x21, but I couldn’t find that.
It’s easy to adapt. It’s just a matter of making a couple of hoses and fabricating some simple mounts. I did something similar to what Song did. There’s many ways to do it.
I think with R134a (or any refrigerant, really), condenser size is key.
If I were doing it again, I’d might be tempted to try a 21x21 condenser.
Like this one on Amazon.
CNFP2121 AC A/C Universal Condenser Parallel Flow 21 x 21 O-ring #6 & #8
It would have to be modified so the inlets faced the front of the car, rather than the side. But I think a shop could do that pretty easily.
That would give quite a bit more surface area.
21x21 = 441 sq inches
16x20 = 320 sq inches
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

bpoliakoff wrote: Mon Sep 27, 2021 11:15 pm I bought my after market condenser, exact bolt in, from my local a/c shop several years ago for about $175. It was a direct bolt in and all fittings in their proper place.
Unfortunately I don’t think anyone makes an aftermarket bolt in PF condenser any more. At least I couldn’t find one, after a lot of searching.
TimU

Post by TimU »

Finally found one for a reasonable price, shipped to Australia!
Arrived today.

19x16" UAC 20015XC Universal Parallel Flow Condenser.
https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B0100721JA

The Amazon product dimensions are wrong.

Actual dimension are:
490mm (19.2") bracket width, from one edge to the other.
500mm (19.68") overall width, from edge of bracket to pipe thread.
405mm (15.94") overall height, from top to bottom brackets edges.

Does not include any mounting bracket hardware other than what is fixed to the unit.

Another step closer to my A/C system rebuild :)
715pklcIdcL._AC_SL1500_[1].jpg
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha Tim,

Got my new condenser and fan a few days ago. Getting ready to order the fittings and hose. Was looking at the reduced barrier but it appears that not very many people are using it let alone carrying that particular type and/or fittings.

My question is, the parallel condenser has#8 (top) and #6 (bottom). The top of the condenser to the drier both use #8 fittings so that’s easy.

However my rebuilt (original) compressor is still using #8 fitting but the bottom of the condenser where it connects is #6. Is there a conversion adapter that reduces #8 fitting to a #6 if that’s possible?

Placed a call to cold hose (6 hour time difference so hope they back to me quickly) about such an item. Or maybe there is an #8 fitting, to #8 standard barrier hose to an #6 fitting with o-ring?
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
TimU

Post by TimU »

Aloha John,
I'm having my hoses measured and made up by the AC shop who is doing the final refrigerant fill and leak test.

But check out this thread on MyE28 - It includes a Coldhose invoice with all the part numbers and pictures.
https://www.mye28.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=157445

Good luck!
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

KINGJOHN808 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:38 am Aloha Tim,

Got my new condenser and fan a few days ago. Getting ready to order the fittings and hose. Was looking at the reduced barrier but it appears that not very many people are using it let alone carrying that particular type and/or fittings.

My question is, the parallel condenser has#8 (top) and #6 (bottom). The top of the condenser to the drier both use #8 fittings so that’s easy.

However my rebuilt (original) compressor is still using #8 fitting but the bottom of the condenser where it connects is #6. Is there a conversion adapter that reduces #8 fitting to a #6 if that’s possible?

Placed a call to cold hose (6 hour time difference so hope they back to me quickly) about such an item. Or maybe there is an #8 fitting, to #8 standard barrier hose to an #6 fitting with o-ring?
Yes, you can get a hose made that has a #8 on one end and a #6 on the other. Coldhose will help you.
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Jubilados wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 1:25 pm
KINGJOHN808 wrote: Tue May 17, 2022 6:38 am Aloha Tim,

Yes, you can get a hose made that has a #8 on one end and a #6 on the other. Coldhose will help you.
Mahalo’z for the reply. Have another question. My condenser has #8 fitting on top and #6 fitting on the bottom so is it safe to assume that is the installation orientation?

Also, according to REAL OEM, the drier connects to the top fitting on the OEM condenser (#8 fitting) and the compressor connects to the bottom fitting on the OEM condenser (also a #8 fitting).

I was told that the orientation doesn’t matter when using a parallel flow condenser meaning the compressor can be connected to either the bottom or top? I can’t find a image or diagram that shows this.

So….do I install the hose from the drier to the top (#6 fitting) IF the #6 fitting is indeed on top and the compressor connected to the #8 fitting on the bottom as shown per REAL OEM.

OR, do I put the #8 fitting on top coming from the compressor and the #6 fitting on the bottom coming from the drier as per diagrams that I have found?

Is it because the serpentine condenser didnt have a specific direction of flow so the hoses per the diagram didn’t matter or not important? Now that I’m using a parallel flow condenser, routing of fluid versus gas becomes vital/more important?

Only want to do this once and can’t seem to find a consensus on “top versus bottom” orientation AND if the compressor is connected to the top fitting OR the bottom fitting of the condenser. I’ve attached several images for reference.

Mahalo’z again.
Attachments
33DEF841-3B50-4F8B-8BAC-DB8CCFE25790.jpeg
33DEF841-3B50-4F8B-8BAC-DB8CCFE25790.jpeg (35.88 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
EE54F442-0414-4202-87D8-B3E319303D5D.jpeg
EE54F442-0414-4202-87D8-B3E319303D5D.jpeg (35.33 KiB) Viewed 2552 times
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

TimU

Post by TimU »

KINGJOHN808 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:25 am I was told that the orientation doesn’t matter when using a parallel flow condenser meaning the compressor can be connected to either the bottom or top? I can’t find a image or diagram that shows this.
Hi John,
I'm keenly watching for other replies too, but just to clarify what my AC guys said:
- The orientation of the condenser ports does not matter from a technical / flow point of view.
- The condenser ports should be oriented and located in whichever way makes it easier to connect the hoses to/from the other components.
- Avoid sharp hose turns and hose pinch points that can't be addressed with a 90, 45 or 180 degree port fitting on either end of the hose.

Tim
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

TimU wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:37 am
KINGJOHN808 wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 2:25 am I was told that the orientation doesn’t matter when using a parallel flow condenser meaning the compressor can be connected to either the bottom or top? I can’t find a image or diagram that shows this.
Hi John,
I'm keenly watching for other replies too, but just to clarify what my AC guys said:
- The orientation of the condenser ports does not matter from a technical / flow point of view.
- The condenser ports should be oriented and located in whichever way makes it easier to connect the hoses to/from the other components.
- Avoid sharp hose turns and hose pinch points that can't be addressed with a 90, 45 or 180 degree port fitting on either end of the hose.

Tim
Aloha Tim,

That’s what I’m hoping for, is just a standardized answer. Some I’ve spoken with state that it’s important for the the compressor to feed from the top, allowing the condenser to convert into a gas into a liquid form, then feed into the drier to remove moisture (water I’m assuming) then finally onto the evaporator (producing the cooling affect). Others have stated that connecting to the top from the drier (as shown in REAL OEM) was “probably” due to the way the system was designed using R12 AND the serpentine condenser.

I’m not trying to recreate the wheel, just want a known working diagram that all agree on and why we/they agree. “Probably’s” have cost me a ton of money in the last 2 years. 🤣
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

The standard answer, from every reliable thing I’ve read, is the line from the compressor should be at the top. Don’t do it the other way.

Example, which makes perfect sense (can’t escape gravity!):

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0702s ... nditioner/

“ When installing a parallel flow condenser, the tanks should be vertical, and the tubes horizontal. It is also critical that the gaseous refrigerant pumped from the compressor (the larger #8 fitting) be on top, and the liquid line (smaller #6 fitting) on the bottom. As a gas is being condensed into a liquid, the system will work more efficiently if it's not trying to push a liquid up through the condenser.”
TimU

Post by TimU »

^ Sounds logical to me!
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Jubilados wrote: Thu May 19, 2022 3:48 am The standard answer, from every reliable thing I’ve read, is the line from the compressor should be at the top. Don’t do it the other way.

Example, which makes perfect sense (can’t escape gravity!):

https://www.motortrend.com/how-to/0702s ... nditioner/

“ When installing a parallel flow condenser, the tanks should be vertical, and the tubes horizontal. It is also critical that the gaseous refrigerant pumped from the compressor (the larger #8 fitting) be on top, and the liquid line (smaller #6 fitting) on the bottom. As a gas is being condensed into a liquid, the system will work more efficiently if it's not trying to push a liquid up through the condenser.”
Mahalo’z! That’s the definitive answer I was looking for including a reference site. Still confused by REALOEM, but nonetheless, going to start making up the brackets when the hose and fittings arrive.

Have a great day.
Attachments
9FDB5B9B-FD4A-41FE-95BC-724DA5967F35.jpeg
9FDB5B9B-FD4A-41FE-95BC-724DA5967F35.jpeg (558.54 KiB) Viewed 2524 times
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I am in the middle of my AC upgrade as I type. My Condenser is a 16 x 19 amazon unit. I'd have done a 20 had I found one at the time, I thought one would fit.

Based on the MT screen shot, I'm curious if insulating the receiver/dryer would improve efficiency. With the dryer mounted on the passenger fender, not too far from the exhaust manifold and turbo it seems every little bit would help.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo