Flasher relay

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Iznod

Flasher relay

Post by Iznod »

New owner of a 1979 635csi Euro. Having blinker issues. Blinkers just turn solid and do not flash when I use my turn signals. I thought the flasher relay was in the steering column, and it is on later models. Can someone point me in the right direction on a 1979? Thanks!!!!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Flasher relay

Post by bpoliakoff »

On the early Euros the turn signals route through the warning blinker switch. Check to see if that will "flash". If not check that switch.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Iznod

Post by Iznod »

Thanks for the help. The hazard switch was broken, I fixed it and now hazards work, but blinkers do not. They just turn a solid red.
Iznod

Post by Iznod »

I also do not know if the Euro version used the red lights as turn signals or the yellow ones. The hazard switch turns on the yellow ones but the turn signal lever turns on the corresponding side solid red.

btw, It seems these switches fail because the spring is too stiff. I cut off a couple of wraps of spring, bent pin out and works great.

Is there access to an owners manual for that year on here? Would love to see one just to get to know the car. For example, the whole dash and controls are in German, be nice to know what they do...lol
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Checkcontrol: Top 3 - L->R Oil, Brake Fluid, Brake Light 2cd row: Coolant, Windshield Washer Fluid, Rear Light, One Next to TEST Brake Pads
OBC: Top l->r Clock-Date, Speed, Limit(Not sure what it does - speed warning?) Row 2 Gas Mileage, Range,Time

Hope this helps.
85 635CSi Bronzit
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Jlc, there isn't an OBC in the early series 1 cars :-?

Iznod, according to "the big blue book", the hazard warning flasher relay is under the drivers side knee panel beneath the steering wheel :-"

It appears to be rather large compared to the other relays, I can scan and post that page out of the manual, if that would help [-o<

And I should also mention that there is something seriously wrong with the wiring, if the red side marker lights come on, solid and not blinking no less, when you activate the accompanying turn signal [-X

Euro version 6ers had to go through a DOT compliance process in order to be registered, and that process varied greatly depending on the quality and knowledge of the shop, sad to say :(

The rear blinkers are the amber corners of the taillight assemblies, while the red side markers should come on solid when the headlight switch is in either of its 2 positions, park lights or headlights.

Hope this helps, again lemme know if you want that scan \:D/
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
marc79euro645

Post by marc79euro645 »

My 79 euro 635 has obc.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hi Marc, do you mean this check panel :-k

Really not an OBC, at least the newer ones calculate MPG and stuff like that, I think :-"
Attachments
Euro check panel.JPG
Euro check panel.JPG (1.01 MiB) Viewed 1714 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Wasn’t sure. Just pulled pics and translated. finally my German was useful.
That was the first set I did. What are the top 3 red light labels?
IIRC, from my 84 e30 the Limit on OBC let you set a speed warning.
JLC
85 635CSi Bronzit