songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by songzunhuang » Thu Oct 28, 2021 1:45 am

sansouci wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 3:04 am
Song,
You may also want to refresh your engine, body and chassis ground straps.
Hmm, these are one of the things that I always check and can never find issue. Good news is that they are easy to check again.
I'll do some poking around and see what I should look for.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383

sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci » Thu Oct 28, 2021 8:49 pm

I should have known an engineer would be on top of it.
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:32 am

hornhospital wrote:
Thu Oct 21, 2021 8:33 pm
Wiggle it from the top and bottom or front and back? Or both? If both, wheel bearings. If top and bottom but not front and back, suspension bushings. If front and back but not top and bottom, tierod ends or steering box.
Ken, your advice is spot on. I put the car up this weekend and did what you said. I'm glad to report it's not my wheel bearing. After detecting that the issue was top to bottom. I crawled under and looked a little closer. Sure enough, I could see play in the tie rods. I found this kind of annoying as the tie rods were changed about 2 years ago. They should last longer than that!

So I hopped on to FCP looking for tie-rods. They have NONE! To my dismay, I found that the brand I usually look for, Meyle, looks to be backordered everywhere. BMW OEM was available for a ridiculous $200+ per side! Luckily I finally tracked down some Lemforders for about $58. I've got some weekend work coming. I'm hoping this will solve my vibration coming from the driver's front wheel.

Anyhow, thanks for the tip.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Loose sideview mirror repair

Post by songzunhuang » Tue Nov 16, 2021 4:48 am

The past weeks I have noticed that my passenger door sideview mirror is flopping around. I can see it and hear it as I go over rough patches of road and also when I close the passenger door. It seemed like something is loose inside, but what?

After much searching, I came across the "Mirror Mangulation" thread and also a video on YouTube of someone using a hair dryer and a butter knife to break the glue holding the mirror onto the power adjustment base. Getting inside the mirror didn't look fun. Hey that never stopped me. I was just worried about breaking the mirror and having to buy a new one. So, here it goes.

As indicated, the mirror is glued onto the power adjustment frame. Luckily for me, I think the glue had gotten so brittle over time that heating it with a hair dryer and gentle prying eventually got it loose without breakage. One thing though, the rubber sheath protecting the power mirror motors was impossible ti keep intact. It ripped.

In the picture below, you can see how it looked when I was able to pry it slowly from the top. I put the knife blade in and heated the mirror with a hair dryer why gently twisting the knife at the point where I expected glue. You can see the 4 plastic protrusions (bottom one is a bit hidden by the rubber sheath) on the back of the mirror that was glued to the base. You can also see that part of the rubber sheath is still glued to the mirror.
Back of Mirror.png
Back of the mirror.
Back of Mirror.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 95 times
After getting the mirror off, I could see that the white power mirror assembly was held onto the metal outer rearview mirror housing by 2 screws. I'm not sure how, but the white housing was very loose flopping around inside. It was odd as the screws didn't seem that loose. In the picture below you can see the white housing and one of the holes for mounting it onto the metal housing. I ended up having to add a washer to get the screws to hold the white housing securely. Also, the white housing had split a little and I re-glued that.
Inside Mirror.png
Not the best lighting, but you can see the goods.
Inside Mirror.png (993.45 KiB) Viewed 95 times
Ok, that's not the best picture but you can see the mounting point in the outside housing and the hole the screw goes through to mount the white case housing the power mirror motors. At the end of the day, I fastened it all back together and then re-glued the mirror using some black silicon adhesive. I checked it the next day and it seems secure. Time will tell how long it'll hold.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi