1984 633CSi Rises again!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Refreshing the interior leather

Post by songzunhuang »

I am trying to make my original leather last as long as possible. I noticed the dye was wearing a bit so I decided to re-dye and treat the interior. I'll used Kiwi shoe polish for the dye and Groits conditioner afterwards. Here's the result.

First I had to dye all the seats. You can see the before (in the front of the bottom cushion) and after (past the Kiwi dye position toward the rear of the bottom cushion) in this picture.
Dye for the seats.
Dye for the seats.
BLackDye.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 11541 times
Here's the seats after a few hours work. First the front seats.
Front seat refresh.
Front seat refresh.
FrontSeat.png (1.43 MiB) Viewed 11541 times
The back looks good, but look closely at the edge of the left seat in the picture. The leather is shrinking and making the leather seam raise up. Not good. I'm trying to feed it a lot and have it relax. Probably not gonna happen, but I'm trying.
Back seat after refresh.
Back seat after refresh.
BAckSeat.png (1.28 MiB) Viewed 11541 times
So that was it for this weekend. Not much else to do mechanically.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383
olympia57
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: 1984 633CSi Rises again!

Post by olympia57 »

Looks good Song , a marked difference .
I'm intrigued though , doesn't the shoe polish transfer onto your clothes ?

Don
1981 635 series 1
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

olympia57 wrote: Thu Apr 16, 2020 9:42 am Looks good Song , a marked difference .
I'm intrigued though , doesn't the shoe polish transfer onto your clothes ?

Don
No, it dries quite nicely. After it dried, I used the Groit's leather treatment wiped on and off with a clean cloth. No dye on the cloth.
I've done this before and it works fine.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
There,are a few long posts on redying the seats with an airbrush. Some recommend using Leatherique BEFORE the spray on dye. I am using Leatherique on two BMWs as a maintenance item, but have no personal experience with the redye process.
Ken
Sansouci
84 E24 633Csi Auto, Bronzit/PearlBeige 6997510
93 E32 740il M60 Auto, Alpenweis/Ultramarine
60 528i M30 5-speed Green/Beige (crushed)
71 240Z 4-speed White/Blue (rusty & sold)
65 396 Chevelle 4-speed, Marina Blue/Black (stolen)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote: Sat Apr 18, 2020 9:57 am Song,
There are a few long posts on redying the seats with an airbrush. Some recommend using Leatherique BEFORE the spray on dye. I am using Leatherique on two BMWs as a maintenance item, but have no personal experience with the redye process.
Ken
I have a Volvo Wagon with light tan seats. I have redone those seats so many times with something very similar to Leatherique. Light tan is a terrible color for longevity. After refinishing the leather about 4 times, I just bought some nice covers. It's my kids car now and has over 258,000 miles!

Here's the link to some of the original attempts in my personal blog, created such a long time ago...
The first one in 2010: http://thehuangs.com/?p=219
Again about a year later: http://thehuangs.com/?p=300

Yes, I had to do this almost yearly to keep it "nice".

My S2000 has red seats. Looking good still, but starting to get a bit "used" looking. I have concluded that for longevity - black leather.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

ATF Leak - Where's it coming from!?

Post by songzunhuang »

So it's been close to a month that we've sheltered in place. The car has barely moved anywhere, except backed up so I could wash it and then back into it's parking place again. It just sits there ... leaking ATF now. I crawled under and checked the tranny pan seal area and the fittings going to the pan area. They were not loose.
Does anyone know any common leak points after the following clues below?

The leak looks like it coming from the middle of the car right behind the front tires. It looks to be a significant leak.
ATF leak area under the car.
ATF leak area under the car.
ATF drip under car.png (1.41 MiB) Viewed 11284 times
I crawled under the car looking for telltale signs of leaks. Here are the spots I saw. It looks to be coming from above the area above the fittings.
Drip area around the tranny pan.
Drip area around the tranny pan.
ATF drips.jpeg (1.05 MiB) Viewed 11284 times
This weekend I'll crawl under and look more, but I am hoping someone can provide some guidance. Thanks.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Hello Song. Check your transmission cooling lines. Old, hard, no flexibility and typically leaks at the crimped ends first

Another area of leakage is the selector shaft seal. PITA to remove and be careful on install as the slotted shaft can damage the new seal. Wrap the shaft in electrical tape, or plastic sleeve like a straw, prior to installation then pull off carefully after the seal is seated

I think the cooling lines are still available at the stealers but for lots of $$$. The ones in your picture are looking wet!!

I have carefully cut off the crimped collar and reused the ends with new locally purchased transmission cooling/power steering hose and hose clamps. Works well

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Ralph in Socal wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 pm Hello Song. Check your transmission cooling lines. Old, hard, no flexibility and typically leaks at the crimped ends first

Another area of leakage is the selector shaft seal. PITA to remove and be careful on install as the slotted shaft can damage the new seal. Wrap the shaft in electrical tape, or plastic sleeve like a straw, prior to installation then pull off carefully after the seal is seated

I think the cooling lines are still available at the stealers but for lots of $$$. The ones in your picture are looking wet!!

I have carefully cut off the crimped collar and reused the ends with new locally purchased transmission cooling/power steering hose and hose clamps. Works well

Ralph
Thanks for the input Ralph. I'm going get under the car today and investigate more. It's the unknown that's the most distressing. What I've noticed is that once I know what it is, it's not a big deal to get it done! I'll study up on the selector seal as well. If I decide I don't want to deal with it, I'll take it to my friendly local shop again. Have a great weekend.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

songzunhuang wrote: Sat May 09, 2020 5:39 pm
Ralph in Socal wrote: Fri May 08, 2020 9:35 pm Hello Song. Check your transmission cooling lines. Old, hard, no flexibility and typically leaks at the crimped ends first

Ralph
Thanks for the input Ralph. I'm going get under the car today and investigate more. It's the unknown that's the most distressing. What I've noticed is that once I know what it is, it's not a big deal to get it done! I'll study up on the selector seal as well. If I decide I don't want to deal with it, I'll take it to my friendly local shop again. Have a great weekend.
It's so annoying when you want something to leak, but it won't! I cleaned up the area around the tranny pan and the hoses and waited for signs of the leak. I drove the car around about 1/2 hour a few times and parked it. Every day, I jack the car up and peer under for signs of a leak. It's been almost a week now. Still no leak. I guess that's good? I don't have any more information where it's all coming from. The short transmission cooler hose is so far up there I could only get it cleaned up so much, but I did notice moisture from around the crimp.
Moisture way up by the crimp!
Moisture way up by the crimp!
TrannyLeak.png (1.27 MiB) Viewed 10986 times
So the saga continues. I keep peering at the underside of the car every so often, hoping for a sign of a leak.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Computer Head Unit Replacement

Post by songzunhuang »

So many many months ago, a segment of the red LED of my on-board computer head unit stopped lighting up. I bet it's a bad solder joint as sometime it will come on, but then most times it doesn't. I thought I could live with this, but it just kept bugging me, staring me in the face every time I got in the car. This will not do!
The lower right segment in the center digit is out!
The lower right segment in the center digit is out!
BadSegment.png (1.19 MiB) Viewed 10842 times
So I put a watch for this part on eBay and finally one came up that looked to be in pretty good shape. $107.00 later, it was at my house. It's been a while since I took apart my console, but I was pretty sure I cold figure it out. The trick was to disassemble as little as possible to get to the back of the computer head unit, where I recall 4 fine threaded screws secured this part. After about 30 minutes, I finally got the to the point where I could get behind the console, through the glove box area, and get the old unit out.
Not too hard, but a little frustrating.
Not too hard, but a little frustrating.
ConsoleOut.png (1.58 MiB) Viewed 10842 times
After getting the old unit out, I looked at them side by side and noticed that the "New" unit's lettering was a bit yellowed. Oh well, hope I can't tell once it's in.
Old vs. New Head unit.
Old vs. New Head unit.
OldvsNewHead.png (1.21 MiB) Viewed 10842 times
After a little over an hour, I was able to get it all back together again. Thank goodness all the segments in the new unit worked just fine. It would have been very annoying to discover that it was faulty. Also, it was surprisingly hard to take a picture of the red LED lit up. I guess it pulses at some frequency that may be slower than the camera on my iPhone. I kept getting blank segments in the picture. I was finally able to get this picture.
New Computer Head unit.
New Computer Head unit.
AllGood.png (1.51 MiB) Viewed 10842 times
So that takes care of this sniggling issue. I may take apart the old one again and try to repair the segment (if it's a bad solder joint). Anyone ever mess with one of these before?
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Darn non-existent ATF leak!

Post by songzunhuang »

If you followed my thread, you know that about a month ago a bunch of ATF dumped on the driveway. I have been trying to track this down for a month now. I cleaned up the area and then drove the car around several times. I've crawled under my car at least 6 times looking for a leak. I just can't find one. It's driving me batty. I may just replace one of the transmission hoses as a precautionary measure. The hose most suspect is the one attached to the side of the tranny and dropping down to eventually meet up with the metal hoses to the cooler. Here's the origination point on the tranny.
Hose to replace?
Hose to replace?
TransHose.png (1.32 MiB) Viewed 10834 times
Ralph tells me these leak at the crimp and I do see some moisture at the crimp.

While I was poking around with a light looking for a sign of a leak, I came across this bolt with fluid around it. Anyone know what it's for?
Fluid around this bolt
Fluid around this bolt
MysteryBolt.png (1.83 MiB) Viewed 10834 times
I don't know if it's the origin of the leak or just in an area I couldn't clean up well, but I thought I'd ask. I guess it's good that it isn't leaking, but it sure bugs me that I know it could happen again. The leak search continues.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Anyone have this hose part number?

Post by songzunhuang »

So I think one of my transmission hoses is seeping fluid. I can't seem to locate the part number to order it. I contacted FCP Euro and they sent me the following diagram that appears to have the right hose (#2) but there's no detail. They don't have the hose part number. I can't find this on REAL OEM. Does anyone in this forum have any leads?
ATF hose diagram.
ATF hose diagram.
Screen Shot 2020-07-13 at 11.35.17 PM.png (343.22 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
I purchased a special 22mm 14" long ratcheting wrench to loosen the banjo bolt that fastens this hose to the transmission.
I've tested the tool out and it works well.
Long 22mm wrench
Long 22mm wrench
22mm wrench.png (927.69 KiB) Viewed 10329 times
Now if I could only get the hose...
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Heater Fan Power Transistor - again!

Post by songzunhuang »

Wow, replacing my power transistor is getting old. I believe this is the 4th time I have had to replace this in 5 years. If your heater fan only works on the high setting, the odds are good that the power transistor is dead. This is about a $7 transistor, but if you call BMW they will charge you upwards of $125 for the entire assembly. Break out a soldering iron and it'll be done in 1/2 hour.
Replace power transistor.
Replace power transistor.
Transistor.png (1.82 MiB) Viewed 10329 times
In my curiosity about why my transistor keeps dying, I discovered that there are actual "knock off" versions of power transistors! They look like the real thing, but are not able to handle the rated current and voltage. Maybe I've been getting knock offs? Look on YouTube and there are folks who have actually cut one open and the difference is clear.

Anyway, It's not a super hard job to replace it. So I've done it again.
Some folks tell me to change out the motor, but my motor seems to spin freely and work fine when the transistor is doing its job. Oh well.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Song, I went to BMWFANS website and located this part # 17 22 1 707 538.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E24/E ... #1707538_2
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
After a prolonged, Covid-19 induced sleep, I found some ATF on my garage floor. Not to the extent in your PICS, but concerning nonetheless, so I'm going to put the car on ramps and squirt Brakleen everywhere to give me a clean field of view. I may be in the same spot as you, replacing the ATF soft lines and doing a filter/screen and fluid change. Were you able to order all the hoses needed?
--Ken
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

rhanley 635csi89 wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 11:53 am Song, I went to BMWFANS website and located this part # 17 22 1 707 538.

http://bmwfans.info/parts-catalog/E24/E ... #1707538_2
I appreciate the feedback, but every picture I see of that part doesn't match what I see.
Here's a link to that part number at ECS Tuning. https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 221707538/
Note that the end doesn't have a loop to fasten with the hollow banjo bolt. It's clearly different.
Here's exhibit #1.
Part number matches, pictures do not.
Part number matches, pictures do not.
Wrong hose.png (202.05 KiB) Viewed 10290 times
The receptacle on the transmission is for a male fitting. The part from ECS and others are female, meaning it needs a male fitting coming out from the tranny. So I can't see this part working. The search continues.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote: Tue Jul 14, 2020 1:13 pm Song,
After a prolonged, Covid-19 induced sleep, I found some ATF on my garage floor. Not to the extent in your PICS, but concerning nonetheless, so I'm going to put the car on ramps and squirt Brakleen everywhere to give me a clean field of view. I may be in the same spot as you, replacing the ATF soft lines and doing a filter/screen and fluid change. Were you able to order all the hoses needed?
--Ken
Ken, I haven't been able to find the hose yet. You can see that in my previous post. Part of me wonders if my local hose shop can rebuild that hose. These are the same guys that custom made my a/c hoses. They aren't cheap, but then again, every website I see lists that short hose at over $100. Of course this also means draining the fluid and removing the current hose, immobilizing the car. But hey, I never drive the car these days anyway. Maybe it'll work.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Updated short transmission hose - solution?

Post by songzunhuang »

So after some investigation, I think BMW may have changed to a different fitting for that short transmission hose. In a previous post, I mentioned that the new hose could only work if the fitting on the transmission was a different gender.

Then I came across this at FCP Euro. BMW Engine oil line fitting - https://www.fcpeuro.com/products/bmw-en ... PUQAvD_BwE

It's a gender changer. Hm, could this possibly be an adapter for the new style hose?

Finally, expanding the link that rhanley 635csi89 sent me to BMW fans I came across this.

Hose: 17 22 1 707 538
−Info
Only in conjunction with
(#11) Threaded pipe joint
17 22 1 707 533
from Nov '82 4HP22

Hm, could this little adapter be the key? The weird thing is that is says that this happened from Nov'82, and my car is an 84 so it should have the new arrangement.

Then I went to AutohauzAZ and I found all these parts. Could this be the solution?
Parts for the new hose?
Parts for the new hose?
AZAuto.png (163.09 KiB) Viewed 10287 times
I don't even know if this is the actual source of the leak. I thought I'd get feedback from the forum before I take the leap.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
rhanley 635csi89
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by rhanley 635csi89 »

Song, on BMWFAN website I scrolled down and click on the part below, If your car was built between the dates listed, I would say you figured it out. Roger

17 22 1 707 533
Automatic

M16-M18X1,5

from Nov '82 to Sep '84
89 635CSiA (11/88 build)
AlpineWeiss II (218)/Natur(0200)
87 L6 635CSI Sold
87 MB 560SL Sold
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

rhanley 635csi89 wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 11:41 am Song, on BMWFAN website I scrolled down and click on the part below, If your car was built between the dates listed, I would say you figured it out. Roger

17 22 1 707 533
Automatic

M16-M18X1,5

from Nov '82 to Sep '84
Yes, I believe my car was built in July of 84, so that's in the range.
Also, I sent all my investigations to the folks at FCP Euro and they finally got back to me confirming the same.
So, I'll crawl under the car again to convince myself and then I'll go for it.
Thanks for the lead on that BMWFan site. It definitely helped to track this down.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Song,
It looks like it will be a snug fit.
Do you use teflon tape, plumbers' pipe dope or just dry on the adapter threads?
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote: Wed Jul 15, 2020 8:51 pm Song,
It looks like it will be a snug fit.
Do you use teflon tape, plumbers' pipe dope or just dry on the adapter threads?
These are usually dry fit with copper washers. These fittings shouldn't need any additional assist for a seal. If you look how the taper is compressed into the fittings, it's usually enough to get a good seal. I haven't done this Tranny hose yet, but I have a feeling it's in my near future. I looked under my car again and there is a drop forming. Small, but it's there.

Here's something different. I used my iPhone, turned on the light, and made a video of the underside of the car. Enjoy my rambling while I recorded.
https://photos.app.goo.gl/UGQfv4Z2cggyfQnT9

Yes, it definitely looks like the short hose needs service.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
sansouci
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sansouci »

Great to hear your voice-over. When you get after this leak, are you going to do a filter/fluid change? I am thinking of getting ambitious and changing all the trans flexible hoses (they are all original and 37 years old). Any clue on the quality of Cohline products? I am going to do a little research on having the OEM hose ends rebuilt with known quality Gates hoses.
Sansouci
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

sansouci wrote: Fri Jul 17, 2020 1:02 pm Great to hear your voice-over. When you get after this leak, are you going to do a filter/fluid change? I am thinking of getting ambitious and changing all the trans flexible hoses (they are all original and 37 years old). Any clue on the quality of Cohline products? I am going to do a little research on having the OEM hose ends rebuilt with known quality Gates hoses.
I looked in my records and I had the tranny filter and seal changed back in 2017 when I had the head gasket fixed. I guess it's been 3 years but I'd be surprised if it was leaking again so soon. As for the Cohline hose, I looked at a lot of websites and they all seemed to have that same hose priced from $75 - $120. AS you can see from my post earlier, I ended up ordering from AutoHausAZ and all the bits came to right around $111 after tax. Anyway, it seems like the hose will arrive next Friday and then I'll do the update. If I still get leaks, then I'll go after the tranny pan seal.

While I was at it, I got the selector shaft seal that Ralph mentioned. I figured I may as well have it on hand just in case. One step at a time.
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

More ATF Leaks!

Post by songzunhuang »

Well, be careful what you ask for. After trying to track down my leaks and not finding any for weeks. I finally ordered a replacement short hose for good measure. Then yesterday I moved my car (after the battery was recharged from not moving my car in months) for our garderner's truck and parking on the driveway later in the evening, I looked underneath and I see 3 new spots. I guess I shouldn't have complained about the leaks not returning. My car has obliged.

In addition to the drip by my short hose, I now have these little gems to contend with. In the picture below, the front of the car is towards the top.
More ATF leaks.
More ATF leaks.
More leaks.png (1.42 MiB) Viewed 10097 times
So, my short hose will arrive this week and I'll go ahead and install that over the weekend. Then, I'll just keep an eye on this and try and figure out where the next spots will be. If anyone knows of likely culprits that would result in leaks in these areas, please do let me know. The fun never stops. 8-[
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi