E24 M30B34 Supercharger project

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Re: E24 M30B34 Supercharger project

Post by ZesCoupe »

Well yesterday (Sunday) I spent some time composing this next part only to find that when I tried to submit it the BB server had crashed with an SQL fault - lost everything - multiple expletives :evil: . Shame I had no access otherwise I probably could have fixed it. But anyway, glad that the forum is back up - next attempt....

Part 6: Intake

This was part of the project that I found particularly interesting as it involved some 3D drawing and CNC machining. The original Jaguar setup included an adapter sitting between the intake (back-end) of the blower and the throttle body. I did toy with the idea of reusing the Jaguar throttle body but as i wanted to keep costs to a minimum (it was already growing disproportionally) I planned to re-use the Bimmer Motronic parts as far as possible. This was because the Miller WAR chip is basically a piggy back and uses all the original Motronic sensors. Anyone who has seen the M90 blower knows that the intake at the back end is more or less rectangular. The throttle body conversely is round so an adaptor is necessary to fit one to the other. The Jaguar part also includes a fitment for a relief valve to (as far as I understand it) stop the blower creating an internal vacuum when the throttle body is closed. There are also a number of small fittings for vacuum pipes necessary for various functions. The Motronic system also uses vacuum pipes so these would need to be incorporated in any design. After some serious measurement and calculation as to eventual placement I got a 3D drawing finished which we then transferred to the CNC mill for machining. My neighbours CNC machine is a rather old Fadal but does the job OK.

https://youtu.be/WWf2HtS_iDg (right click to open in new window or tab)

The machining process takes quite a while of course but the resulting finished parts always brings a smile to my face.

https://youtu.be/JpohOk8TTSs (right click to open in new window or tab)

"Will it fit?" I was asked by someone in the family. Course it will fit :roll: , it was precisely drawn in Autodesk and machined on the CNC mill, as you can see in the next photo.You will notice the extra fitting on the left, this is the Jaguar relief valve which will ultimately attach to the aluminium duct on the high pressure side of the blower.

IMG_1668.jpeg
IMG_1668.jpeg (134.14 KiB) Viewed 5574 times

Next up is the throttle body which also needed to be adapted as it sits with its fresh air side towards the cables, opposite to the normal fitment on the oem intake manifold. As you'll see in the next photo the butterfly arm has been modified to work in the other direction. Some accurate measurement, calculation and a spot of welding and it matched up nicely with the movement of the pedal.

IMG_1588.jpeg
IMG_1588.jpeg (91.68 KiB) Viewed 5574 times

Ok - but it needed somewhere to mount the cable adjusters, so a support bracket was fabricated from yet more steel sheet. and after installing another section of the project was finished

IMG_1593.JPG
IMG_1593.JPG (100.06 KiB) Viewed 5574 times

IMG_1595.jpeg
IMG_1595.jpeg (91.3 KiB) Viewed 5574 times
"If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" My Dad (1921-1995)

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

That is so pleasing. I think I'd have to keep removing the adaptor just to look at it!

I've been accumulating bits for my M62 project and have an adaptor to fit the rounded rectangle of the inlet to standard round pipe bought at some expense from rankone performance. It's fine,but the quality of the welds leaves an enormous amount to be desired!

Still waiting on the custom pulley.
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

Great stuff :-)
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
wattsmonkey
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by wattsmonkey »

I wish we'd got more on this project - I was hooked!
"Most of it necessary; all of it enjoyable." LJKS
'84 635CSi, dogleg...itbs and supercharger????? Eaton Mess
dlvad
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by dlvad »

Greetings Martyn,
I have thoroughly enjoyed following your M30/e24 Jag SC project progress thread as well as the many mounting bracket solutions you have fabricated along the way.

Brilliant Work!!!
DV
Motorsport & Vintage Coupes
ALPINA Oldtimers of Course...
BMW-Classic CCA
ZesCoupe
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by ZesCoupe »

Hello all,

Just read the last response from Wattsmonkey. I had promised a (now) lo...ng time ago to add some more to the topic in order to eventually finish the story, unfortunately I just haven't got around to it. I have some half finished text on the PC together with selections of photo's which I also need to add to my own website. The last couple of years has been a bit chaotic, what with Covid and the whole situation around it. I have also had some health issues but am back to pretty good health now. As I earlier mentioned (I think) the shark is no longer in my garage, it was sold a couple of years ago to a guy who previously owned one, sold it and then regretted it. He told me he'd been looking for over a year but couldn't find anything that wasn't a basket case and was thus willing to pay top dollar (euro) for mine. I'm now spending my time working on a Harley from '78 which always seems to need attention, but that's for another forum. I'm also kept busy with commercial website administration for a growing list of friends and I sometimes wonder if my life was less busy before I retired :roll: . Another interesting project (for yet another forum maybe) keeping me busy has been my conversion of an import milling machine to CNC using LinuxCNC as machine control. Now I don't need to hassle my neighbour to get designs machined unless it's somewhat larger.

Oh - yes - and don't forget - as I mentioned earlier the whole supercharger project is for sale as the shark was sold in a (more or less) original state. I will have to make a separate post, I guess, in the for sale section - of course "when I get around to it". Apologies to all awaiting new instalments.

Greetings from NL,
Martyn
"If a job's worth doing, it's worth doing well" My Dad (1921-1995)

1986 635CSi (Sold)
www.automotivelife.nl