Two Sixers, what to do!

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Fedaykin633csi

Two Sixers, what to do!

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

Hey Y'all,

After 5 e28's of various denominations, I've finally gotten into e24s. Two to be exact. We recently relocated to PDX from NYC in a 535is, which promptly got rear-ended upon our arrival. I've been itching for a project and despite not having off-street parking of any kind, here we go.

The cars are a green over beige 1979 Euro 635CSi auto (with the 2.8, inexplicably) and a burgundy over beige 1983 633CSi manual:

The green car had a wee fire under the passenger side of the dash, cracking the windshield, crisping up everything under there, melting hoses and wiring and even the shock mount under the hood. The top side of the dash is perfect except for a crispy bit right over the fire. It has not been turned over since the incident. The car has 200k+ on it and is in fair shape for that in and out. Paint's great. Manual sport seats! There's a bit of rust and some rot - won't know the full extent until I really get into it.

The burgundy car is 100% totally rust free (I'm thrilled by this, coming from the NE), and runs very well relative to my expectations. I'm in the process of refreshing the ignition system and checking for vacuum leaks. There seem to be a bunch of new parts including starter and alternator, I haven't cracked the valve cover yet. The interior on the other hand is in pretty sorry shape. Canyonlands-grade dash, f'd front seats (comfort), needs cleaned, cracked and warped door handles/arm rests, grimy cluster, missing trim here and there.

So I have a mechanically good B32 powered, cosmetically eh US car, and a less-than-ideally powered and rusty and melty Euro car. My current plan is to swap the bumpers and what I can of the interior into the US car and use that as the basis of a project (I'm daydreaming of M102 kits and snazzy resprays, Billie sports and shifter bushings). I can take the e28 apart and put it back together, but the e24 it's already clear is a slightly different animal, for a more discerning consumer.

I'm happy to finally have a reason to post on Bigcoupe, and please excuse what I'm sure will be an annoying amount of WTB posts. Cheers!
1983 633CSi 5-speed Burgunrot, a slow burn 645CSi project
1984 528e Saphirblau
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Two Sixers, what to do!

Post by hornhospital »

Welcome!

From someone who has 2 E24s and only half enough time to work on them, good luck!
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

welcome aboard! First the good news; you have a couple of nice cars there. Now for the bad news; builds after 5/82 are (mechanically) E28 based and builds prior to that date are E12 based; the cars may look the same but nearly every part is different and I think you have one of each. Actually you may find that you can swap the front bumper assy over and the glass between the two cars, but after that it is a bit of a struggle to find parts that fit either car. Most of the trim, the instruments, all the suspension, the diff, the subframes etc are all different. Even the seat mountings are different on early E24...

Personally I'd use the '83 as a 'runner' (in more or less standard trim) and use the '79 as a project car. You can strap a turbo or a supercharger on a 2.8 and make it really fly.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Fedaykin633csi

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

Hi Brucey,

Oh yes, I'm well aware. I'm already picking over my e28 parts car for the red one - I've got an LSD, Moosehead UCABS, etc that I'd transfer. My dilemma is the rust and the fire make the euro car less than enticing for the basis of a project. I've read that the rear bumper on the mk 1 models will more cleanly swap to the e28-based models than the later item. Plus who says you can't turbocharge a M30B32?

Oh no on the seat mountings, I thought I had read that they do swap cleanly with the corresponding rails. We shall see this weekend.
1984 528e Saphirblau
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Hey welcome and congrats on the cars. I actually tried to buy that green one as a body donor for my rusty 79 euro. I was out of town when it came up for sale and it went quick. Good for you. Love that green. If I'm not mistaken that car also has Recaros which are even more rare that sport seats so you've got a real winner there.
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Fedaykin633csi

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

Thanks! As it turns out, the Cypress car has a bunch of rot, covered by a decent respray. I'm retaining the Recaros (v. comfy!) and bumpers. I'm extremely pressed for space, so need to sell the remainder pretty quick if you're still interested in it. Plenty of bits and bobs left in decent shape.
zinnocoupe wrote: Tue Dec 10, 2019 8:03 pm Hey welcome and congrats on the cars. I actually tried to buy that green one as a body donor for my rusty 79 euro. I was out of town when it came up for sale and it went quick. Good for you. Love that green. If I'm not mistaken that car also has Recaros which are even more rare that sport seats so you've got a real winner there.
1984 528e Saphirblau
zinnocoupe

Post by zinnocoupe »

Thx for the offer but I'm overflowing bits and bobs at the moment. I've had to build another shed in my backyard to handle the overflow. I'm really after a rustfree( as much a s possible anyways) euro shell. I'm not holding my breath for one thats for sure. Good luck the swapping over etc
1979 Euro 635ci no longer a basketcase, just a running rust bucket!
1977 530i Partially restored and running now!
1987 635csi 60K KM Garage Queen
Fedaykin633csi

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

I have to pull parts off the '79 this weekend before the temporary tags run out - turns out no one on CL is interested in a bumperless non-running rusty euro, who would have thought.

What are some bits worth saving? I have on my list:
  • LSD
    Window motor/regulators
    window switches
    cluster
    power mirrors
Any ideas/requests?
1984 528e Saphirblau
Fedaykin633csi

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

So the ‘79 is gone, I am still working on posting what I pulled for sale. Sadly I was mistaken, it’s an open diff.

However, I sourced a M102 from a member with the generous help of another. I’m planning a turbo build, a slow burn as time and space allow.

The engine, euro bumpers, a black interior, and fresh paint should be pretty slick.
1984 528e Saphirblau
Fedaykin633csi

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

The ‘83 got a working FPR, CTS, fuel filter, and valve adjustment this weekend and is running much better.

This is on top of plugs, wires, cap and rotor, TPS adjustment.

My new spark plugs were gunky with burnt residue, I’m hoping that was from running incredibly rich, and not rings or valve seals...

Gotta get an engine stand to start tearing into the M102.
1984 528e Saphirblau
Fedaykin633csi

Post by Fedaykin633csi »

Quick update: life is busy, not much progress. Hopefully going to replace the injectors this weekend, I'm still chasing a surging under throttle.

I have a lead on a second euro front bumper but with the non-fog air dam, which will be ideal for hiding an air-to-water intercooler.

Hope everyone's hanging in there with this Pandemic situation. Photo for your time:

1984 528e Saphirblau
songzunhuang
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by songzunhuang »

Fedaykin633csi wrote: Fri Apr 03, 2020 5:53 pm Quick update: life is busy, not much progress. Hopefully going to replace the injectors this weekend, I'm still chasing a surging under throttle.

I have a lead on a second euro front bumper but with the non-fog air dam, which will be ideal for hiding an air-to-water intercooler.

Hope everyone's hanging in there with this Pandemic situation. Photo for your time:

I really like that color. It's different.
Best of luck and I look forward to seeing your progress!
-----
Song Huang
1984 633CSi
Last 7 of VIN: 6997383