Queens Birthday Weekend Postponed

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Paul Humpage

Queens Birthday Weekend Postponed

Post by Paul Humpage »

Sorry boys and girls, see.....

viewtopic.php?p=88701#88701

Regards
Paul
Last edited by Paul Humpage on Mon May 24, 2010 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Sounds like a good plan, though I'm not surprised that a British hard man such as yourself chooses to celebrate HRH's birthday.

I should be good with the camping, just so long as I get to pitch my tent upwind of Hoadie.

Regards,
Ellis.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

In honour of our Queen I shall be there on the proviso that Paul "Morris Dancer" Humpage demonstrates how to dance gaily around a maypole.

Note: it's also dependent on my buying new tyres.

Further note: I will have this song on constant repeat on my MP3 player : http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MeP220xx7Bs
Last edited by hoadie on Thu Apr 29, 2010 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

So as per my earlier suggestion whilst we were conversing over electronic mail, my suggestion/recommendation is the Myall Lakes National Park

All of the campsites listed have toilets, and are available on a first in first served basis. I believe it can be busy on long weekends. I might call the NPWS folk in the coming weeks to gauge activity there over this Queens Bday holiday. Apparently there are 300+ campsites across what's a largish area.

Cost is $7/vehicle/day entry, $5/person /night camping. Gas cooking preferred, firewood and water are not supplied.

Oh and there may be dingos.
StuM5

Re: Queens Birthday Weekend Jamboree Up North 14th June 2010

Post by StuM5 »

Paul Humpage wrote: Comments and questions welcome but to bung it all in bold caps for hard of hearing and seeing and slightly senile.

SATURDAY THE 14TH OF JUNE, 9.00 A.M FOR A 9.30 DEPARTURE AT THE TOURIST CARPARK OPPOSITE THE RICHMOND AIRBASE.

Regards
Paul.
Paul,
mate you must be the wise monkey that finds it hard to see, as my calander shows 14 June as a Monday

Are better halfs allowed?

cheers
Stu
Paul Humpage

Re: Queens Birthday Weekend Jamboree Up North 14th June 2010

Post by Paul Humpage »

StuM5 wrote:
Paul Humpage wrote: Comments and questions welcome but to bung it all in bold caps for hard of hearing and seeing and slightly senile.

SATURDAY THE 14TH OF JUNE, 9.00 A.M FOR A 9.30 DEPARTURE AT THE TOURIST CARPARK OPPOSITE THE RICHMOND AIRBASE.

Regards
Paul.
Paul,
mate you must be the wise monkey that finds it hard to see, as my calander shows 14 June as a Monday

Are better halfs allowed?

cheers
Stu
Oops :oops:

Many thanks, it's now correct and i'm back on the wagon. Better halfs are indeed allowed and more than welcome
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Myall Lakes looks the go Ben. Do you think that the Queens Birthday weekend would be a busy one being rather chilly and all that?

What kind of entertainment do they have at the park auditorium? Wide screen tellies? Karaoke? Live bands?
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I really don't know if it'll be busy or not. NSW folk have this odd habit of spending all weekend sitting stuck in traffic on the F3 and Pacific Highway not actually getting anywhere, so who can say?

The entertainment will be you demonstrating Morris dancing. I thought this had previously been discussed and agreed?

Stu, other halves are more than welcome but if we're to stay in a National Park, the dogs won't be welcome. Sorry, but I don't set the rules.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

we have another long weekend coming up? Really??? I thought we just had one???

I have an uncle at North Arm Cove. We may head up with you but if I head past and do not drop in I'll get thumped!

Is it the Friday or Monday that is a PH?

Josh
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Monday the 14th is the holiday when we colonial types tug our forlock for Betty England's birthday.

You're more than welcome to come along for the drive and then do your own thing afterwards.

Any sign of yours being back on the road?

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

I'm out,

I have the Wagga Wagga Vetran and Vintage Motor Club June 2010 Rally on. My parents are taking their 1949 Riley and Rose and I are booked in to take Gertie.

I did a compression test with Greg and found 125 across 4 cylinders and 120 across 2. So it is not the compression that is causing me to drink too much oil. It's not the fuel injection relay either.

Last week it was idling at around 1850 rpm at the lights. I swapped the eCU over and it dropped to 950rpm instantly. Let's see how the ECU change goes.

Picking up an engine from Peter Simms this Saturday and will start the engine build this year.

Otherwise. I'll catch you all soon.

Josh
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hi Josh...

Good luck with Gertie.

I know it's a little off topic, but I'd be very intertested to keep tabs on your engine rebuild, as mine could be soon in similar territory.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

So far I'm in, and I'll make sure it stays that way!

No M6 yet, parts on the way from Germany ;-)

Cheers,

Alex
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Mark E wrote:Hi Josh...

Good luck with Gertie.

I know it's a little off topic, but I'd be very intertested to keep tabs on your engine rebuild, as mine could be soon in similar territory.

Cheers...
I picked up the replacement engine from Peter Simms last Saturday. Also picked up a brand new M6 spoiler although it may be some time before that is on. The engine is an M30B32 so a little different to the B34's and B35's. I found a turbo kit with the RHD turbo manifold! That's the real hard thin to find!!! I'll strip down the engine over the next few weeks and then start with;

1. High pressure water blast the engine to clean it ready for work.

2. Take it down to parts only.

3. Balancing the crank. About $100 - $200. Peter Simms thinks the crankk shaft is balanced to within 5grams so not too much to do here.

4. Bore the thing out to 93mm. This should take capacity to around 3.5 litres.

These two things I'll get done over the next few weeks. Then;

5. Source the low compression pistons. According to Greg the compression ratio is reduced by using a shorter piston and not a shorter conrod. Peter Simms again has contacts who can help here. They'll be forged.

6. Source the forged conrods. Again I'll get Peter Simms to okay any purchse.

7. Hold point while I save some cash. A complete 500hp turbo kit for a 633CSi with ceramic turbo and manifold along with 60lb injectors, new turbo camshaft et. al. is about $5k. Then there is the programmable ECU, sump work, new fuel pumps, ancillaries like performance water pump, turbo plumbing, intercooler etc. That will all take a long time. I would be very supprised if it is all ready for next years Fest.

Other things I'll get done this year include;

a. Finally put Daniels springs on the car. 40mm lower, 40% stiffer. Daniel will know when they are on as he said I'd call wanting softer springs so as soon as I call him he'll know the springs are on.

b. Front spoiler. I'll get this underway over the enxt few weeks although it will not be a rush job and the paint may be hard to source. I'll leave it with the painters and they'll do it when things are quiet.

c. Exhaust. As per that super fast brown 633 I'll go 2 &3/4 inch all the way through. I may even drop it in Saturday.

d. New dash. I got a used but unmarked dash from Peter Simms. I'll put this in over the next few weeks.

So much to do. Oh, I'll see if I can talk Greg into using one of the dog leg box's in gertie as we have three.

when I start the build I'll put some photos in a new thread.
Serco

drive

Post by Serco »

All this from the car with no sway bar!!
Can't wait to have a drive,
Go for it Josh.
Regards,
Allan
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Redaussie6 wrote:So far I'm in, and I'll make sure it stays that way!

No M6 yet, parts on the way from Germany ;-)

Cheers,

Alex
Look forward to seeing you there Alex.

Regards
Paul
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Bloody hell Josh, your car is going to be a monster, no-one will be keeping up with you!

Most important matter though - will you be sorting out your A/C?
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:Bloody hell Josh, your car is going to be a monster, no-one will be keeping up with you!

Most important matter though - will you be sorting out your A/C?
Guess where the RHD turbo manifold goes???? Yep.......where the AC is in a RHD car. Apparantly you can save the AC and do some facny plumbing for the turbo. I'll start with the build and go from there. Once the engine is built up I'll source the turbo kit now I've found it.

I'll just run it at low boost with an aim of around 330hp like the alpina B7s. The kit is good for 500hp. The turbo kit is only $1900 USD. It's all the other gear that takes the price up to stupid levels. I'll get the easy stuff done first and aim at finishing the engine and slotting it in sometime late next year.

Enjoy the weekend guys!! :)

Josh
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I knew there were issues with clearance around the steering but no the A/c. Where there's a will there's a way I guess?

No doubt you'll have looked at the South African turbo M30 setups for inspiration ?
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:I knew there were issues with clearance around the steering but no the A/c. Where there's a will there's a way I guess?

No doubt you'll have looked at the South African turbo M30 setups for inspiration ?
I guess that's why all Alpina B7's were LHD. The turbo for the RHD car actually uses the the same bolt holes in the main engine as the AC base plate. When I get that far I'll look at the complexities of re-plumbing the kit as an AC really is a must for the driving we all do.

Start with the take down of the spare Peter Simms engine tomorrow. Allan is aware my vaccum hose to the throttle body is split so I'll swap that over tomorrow. I'll then swap anything else that looks better on the spare engine. I'l take some shots tomorrow and post them on a new thread as we have been off topic for too long now. Hope you guys have a great drive!! Take lots of shots!!!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I went out to Lake Cargelligo this last weekend and covered 1200kms in 2 days. On the last 200 kms close to home i've developed an awful misfire whenever i put my foot down hard and the car splutters along, refusing to go over 3500 rpm. I've got to get this sorted out but there's no way i'm able to for the next month so alas i won't be able to make this. Talking to some others it appears time is rather tight for them too so i suggest we postpone this until a later date. The spring long weekend in October might be the go for those interested.

Regards
Paul
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I'm one of the "others" - unfortunately I won't be able to make the trip either. October's sounding good as I've got holidays :D
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Paul Humpage wrote:I went out to Lake Cargelligo this last weekend and covered 1200kms in 2 days. On the last 200 kms close to home i've developed an awful misfire whenever i put my foot down hard and the car splutters along, refusing to go over 3500 rpm. I've got to get this sorted out but there's no way i'm able to for the next month so alas i won't be able to make this. Talking to some others it appears time is rather tight for them too so i suggest we postpone this until a later date. The spring long weekend in October might be the go for those interested.

Regards
Paul
Was there any water in the lake? I heard that because of the drought it was pretty empty
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Paul Humpage wrote:I went out to Lake Cargelligo this last weekend and covered 1200kms in 2 days. On the last 200 kms close to home i've developed an awful misfire whenever i put my foot down hard and the car splutters along, refusing to go over 3500 rpm. I've got to get this sorted out but there's no way i'm able to for the next month so alas i won't be able to make this. Talking to some others it appears time is rather tight for them too so i suggest we postpone this until a later date. The spring long weekend in October might be the go for those interested.

Regards
Paul
Sad to hear you guys won't be heading out. Still, gives Rosie and I a chance to come along in October. We are still off to the Wagga Wagga Historic vintage Car Club bash. Should be around 160 plus cars.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote: Was there any water in the lake? I heard that because of the drought it was pretty empty
Lake Cargelligo is at 43% which is rather healthy.

The area all around has had plenty of rain this year and the winter crops are coming up a treat with lots of green everywhere.

There is a but though as always. The Lachlan River which is the main watercourse around there and services an enormous irrigation area appeared to me to be wonderfully full at Condolbolin.

However, when i got home and bought last weeks The Land there was an article about how the flow of the Lachlan is currently stopped at Condolbolin, ( i assume there's a weir) and those downstream in the irrigation area towards Forbes and eastwards will not have any water allocation at all next year again. A couple of bright spots though in that the crops are healthy at the moment with rainfall and not much more rain is required to enable a water allocation. Fingers crossed for more rain then.

Anyway....

This bloke at Lake Cargelligo was doing it tough

I was luxuriating in the tent.

Nice part of the world if you like big skies and open countryside

On the way home i stopped for lunch in Orange, the coolness brought on by the altitude makes for a different world

I stopped off at the bottle shop on the way out of town for a mixed dozen.

This was rather nice last weekend for a change.

1 down, 11 to go.

It's shame that in the last hundred kilometres or so between Lithgow and Bathurst the car decided to go bung on me, just when i went to overtake a learner up a big hill too, i was rather embarrased as i put my foot down and just spluttered along going nowhere and had to let the learner get away. Hopefully it's just some shitehouse fuel from a country town that has bunged something up or needs some sooper dooper octane rich Sydney petrol to blast the filth out.

That is all.

What do you do last weekend? Scratch your balls and watch the telly?

Regards
Paul