Do we need a Winter Drive

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Shipper 01

Do we need a Winter Drive

Post by Shipper 01 »

Was thinking we could do with a winter / early spring drive. Anyone interested? Any ideas??
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Sounds like a plan - what do you have in mind? It's been a while since I've done the Putty Road, though would be just as happy to go over the Blue Mountains..
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Nice suggestion Josh, I'm keen, here's a proposal.

Meet in Mittagong for breakfast, head down through Kangaroo Valley to Berry, Kiama, Jamberoo, Robertson, then home.

Personally, this route's good for me, I can manage a trip like this in one day rather than making a whole weekend out of it.

How about sooner rather than later. Sat July 31. Is your car on the road?

Regards
Ellis.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Sounds perfect, usual place in Mittagong?
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Yeah, i'll be up for this on the 31st.

Bacon, sausage and eggs for me please as Ellis is paying.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:Sounds perfect, usual place in Mittagong?
Just Bite Me.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/ju ... /mittagong
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:Yeah, i'll be up for this on the 31st.

Bacon, sausage and eggs for me please as Ellis is paying.
Just bite me.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

MrE wrote:
hoadie wrote:Sounds perfect, usual place in Mittagong?
Just Bite Me.

http://www.truelocal.com.au/business/ju ... /mittagong
Why, that's very considerate of you MrE!
Catering for Coeliacs and dairy allergies and we bake our own Gluten Free Bread. We can adapt our menu to suit your needs.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

I'm happy with Mittagong. My car is sort of on the road. I've got the bilstein shocks ready to go in with Daniels springs and a huge list of new parts from a brand new M6 spoiler (fabricated and fresh from the mould by Peter Simms), shocks, springs, a new dogleg 1:1 gearbox, new sideloader LSD, uncracked dash, new suspension bushes, dash guage globes, a used B35 motor to be built up to warm track config to go in and much much more. I'll need 2 months as a minimum to get some of this on so a drive now will be great. The engine build will take far longer.

To get her roadworthy I need to take off my front discs and machine them, check the pads and repalce if too worn and then bleed the brakes. The engine is tired and a compression test shows 125psi on four and 120psi on two. The workshop manual says 156psi and a bad engine is below 145psi. Head needs reconditioning and have traced the oil loss and smoke to failed valve stem seals.

So, she will run and hard but burn oil and blow smoke. I can get my brakes done in time but the rest will wait. I can have the best 6'er in the world but can I ever ever look as good as Paul in shorts??? So just the brakes it is.

So.... I'll talk to Rosie and let her know but count me in. I'll call Peter Simms and let him know. Greg has a huge amount of work at the mo but I'll let him know as well as he can take the E9.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Shipper 01 wrote:
. I can have the best 6'er in the world but can I ever ever look as good as Paul in shorts???
You would be wasting your time even trying mate.

hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Dog passed out in fright?

So, here's an idea for a route (pronounced ROOT for our American friends)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 27158&z=11

Mittagong to Robertson via some backroads, down to Berry via Jamberoo then over the top of Berry Mountain to Kangaroo Valley.

Could also go down to Nowra then to Kangaroo Valley but I've done that Nowra to Kangaroo Valley road twice in the last few months so wouldn't mind going over Berry Mountain for a change.

Google Maps says that's about 2hrs, so if we met at Just Eat Me @ 9am, left around 10am, that'd get us to Kangaroo Valley around midday. Could do lunch there if a big breaky didn't sate your hunger, or continue back to the Southern Highlands...
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

hoadie wrote:Dog passed out in fright?

So, here's an idea for a route (pronounced ROOT for our American friends)

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 27158&z=11

Mittagong to Robertson via some backroads, down to Berry via Jamberoo then over the top of Berry Mountain to Kangaroo Valley.

Could also go down to Nowra then to Kangaroo Valley but I've done that Nowra to Kangaroo Valley road twice in the last few months so wouldn't mind going over Berry Mountain for a change.

Google Maps says that's about 2hrs, so if we met at Just Eat Me @ 9am, left around 10am, that'd get us to Kangaroo Valley around midday. Could do lunch there if a big breaky didn't sate your hunger, or continue back to the Southern Highlands...
Looks good Ben. As a tiny addendum though, just before we get to Robertson, take a right onto Kangaloon Road up to the back of the reservoir and then onto Sheepwash Road to the Illawarra Hwy and thence to Robertson. It only adds 15 minutes but there's some fabulous views high up on Kangaloon Road and it's a ripper flooring it up the hill.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Good thinking - that is an awesome bit of road..

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... =UTF8&z=12
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Impressive.

The complete reverse of what I had in mind, but still impressive.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

MrE wrote:Impressive.

The complete reverse of what I had in mind, but still impressive.
So it is!
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:Good thinking - that is an awesome bit of road..

Um, we then head to where? Note that we need to return somewhere from Kangaroo Valley andthough back up to Bowral via sheepwash road is a quick and easy run. We could stop off at Fitzroy Falls for a look.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Shipper 01 wrote:

Um, we then head to where? Note that we need to return somewhere from Kangaroo Valley andthough back up to Bowral via sheepwash road is a quick and easy run. We could stop off at Fitzroy Falls for a look.
I deleted my first 3 replies so I'll go with this one - did you have reading and comprehension skill issues as a child? #-o

How about we decide on the day - it could end up being a pissing down with rain type day with flash floods....
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Anyone ever been to Tallowa Dam? Point D on the map?

http://maps.google.com.au/maps?f=d&sour ... 8&t=h&z=17

Might be worth a trip after point C.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Don't we have a rule - don't drive on the same road twice?

BTW, that's a no from me, I've never been there. I believe there is camping in there, supposedly quite a nice spot. I might also be thinking of Bendeela.
Last edited by hoadie on Wed Jul 14, 2010 11:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote:Anyone ever been to Tallowa Dam? Point D on the map?
Can't say that I have but ten bucks to whoever knows how to pronounce it correctly.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:
Shipper 01 wrote:

I deleted my first 3 replies so I'll go with this one - did you have reading and comprehension skill issues as a child? #-o

How about we decide on the day - it could end up being a pissing down with rain type day with flash floods....
Um... maybe?

Tallowa is pronounced Tallowa. I'll collect my tenner on the day and put it towards my remedial reading class!
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Kiribati. Try that for size.
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

kirabass
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

m6dave wrote:kirabass
Ding ding, we have a winner. The IQ level of the average E24 owner is clearly way above the common man. Those that live outside of the ACT anyway.

It was April 2008 the last time we did a Southern Highlands run. About time we did another.

MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

And all this time I thought it was pronounced 'Ceefax'.