New to forum.

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

kiama635

New to forum.

Post by kiama635 »

Hello There.Two years ago I was very sad after watching my beautiful big coupe drive of down the road with its new owner behind the wheel, how ever he has contacted me as he said he would when he wanted to sell and I am picking the car up in two weeks. My question is would anyone have or know where I could buy some nice rims either 16 or 17 inch. Any help would be appreciated.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Welcome to the forums. rim wise I've had success with Ebay. I bought some lovely 17x8 BBS rims worth around $3k for $800 off of ebay and they were still in the bubble wrap in the box. You need 15mm offset and 5x120 configuration from memory. If it fits a modern (1995 plus) holdern commodore it will fit the 6'er. Just don't go above 17 inch as the car looks a bit like a wagon from the old west.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Welsome to the Forum!

Where are you located? What year and model car is it?

Here is some general tire and rim info to refresh your memory:

The size of the original rims and tires that came from the factory:

......................................... Rim Width x Diameter - Offset or "ET" (mm) - Tire Size
Stock wheels ('76 to '81) ............ 6" or 6.5" x 14" - ET22 with a 195/70 -14" tire that has a diameter of 24.74"
Stock wheels ('82 on) ................. 6" or 6.5" x 14" - ET22 with a 205/70 -14" tire that has a diameter of 25.30"
TRX (165mm x 390mm) ............... 6.5" x 15-3/8" - ET22 with a 220/55-390 tire that has a diameter of 24.88"
TRX (195mm x 415mm) ............... 7.6" x 16-3/8" - ET19 with a 240/45-415 tire that has a diameter of 24.84"

The typical replacement rim is

7" or 7.5" x 16" - ET20 or less with a 225/50-16 tire that has a diameter of 24.85"
7.5" or 8" x 17" - ET20 or less with a 235/45-17 tire that has a diameter of 25.32"

The Tire diameters range from 24.8" to 25.4" .

The rears have plenty of space and can take an 8", 9" or even a 10" wide rim with the proper offset and tires of 255 or 265 unless you have the SLS accumulators, in which case the 255 and up can hit them in hard cornering. It is the front that is the most critical and an 8" wide rim is generally the largest without a spacer or a smaller ET.

The larger the rim and tire the more stress that is put on the front suspension and the more likely to inroduce a shimmy into the front unless the front suspension is tight.

All BMW's (except the e30) use a 5 x 120mm bolt pattern and are "hub centric", i.e. they are centered by a lip on the hub, not the bolts. They all have the same size hub hole (72.56mm) with the single exception of the larger hole in the e39 which will still fit fine, but they will need hub centering rings (not spacers), $15 from Discount tire. Most after-market rims have hub rings also. The 3-series rims generally won't fit because the offset is too high, running around ET40/48 and the 7-series with an ET of 23 will generally need a hub centric spacer of 5-10mm depending on the width of the rim. Sometimes a narrower tire (215/205) can be fitted to the 7-Series rim without a spacer and not rub also (but I think is depends on the rim width).

Here is a good Rim/Wheel Size Calculator:
http://www.wheelsmaster.com/rt_specs.jsp

--------------------------------------------------
Here is a site that lists all of the wheels that BMW made, with pictures and specs and the cars they came on:

http://felgenkatalog.auto-treff.com/
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Good to see you're getting your sixer back!

Wolf who is also on this forum (alias wokke) is very helpful, a couple of people here in Oz have bought wheels from him and they are fantastic.
Have a look at his website http://www.wokke.de
Currently he is on holidays, I think he will be back next week or the week after.

Hoop to see you on one of our cruises soon!

Cheers,

Alex
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

That's great that you'll get your old car back. What year is it?

Just to add to Josh's comments about Commodore rims, my understanding is the offset is wrong for a sixer, around +35 +/- and are more suited to E36 and E46 3 series.

In terms of ride, 16" is ideal but you will have a better range of rims and tyres in 17".

Just remember that you can fit rims from any 5 series, though rims from an E39 you'll need a set of hubcentric rings.
kiama635

Post by kiama635 »

Thanks for all your help. The car is an 89 model so one of the last in Zinerbrot red auto. I saw you guys going through Kiama a couple of weeks ago and will catch up on the next run. My car has been resting in Cootamundra for the last couple of years but has been totally pampered.
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Hello and welcome, now post some pictures already !!!!!

Look forward to seeing your car.

With regard to the wheels, it really comes down to your budget,
I bought my BBS RC090 from Germany (wokke.de) cost about $2300 including freight.
I bought some BBS RSIIs for my M3 from ebay unused for $850.
If you want to spend less than that there are quite a few 5 series wheels sets on ebay from time to time.
My only recommendation is to buy a "period correct" style. (you probably knew that anyway)
Matt @ Snowy Mountains of Australia
http://bigcoupe.com/members/ozbmw
kiama635

Post by kiama635 »

I think bbs RC090 are the go. I will post some pics as soon as I pick her up.
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Couldn't agree more about the BBS RC090

kiama635

Post by kiama635 »

Can any one tell me if BBS RZ wheels 16x7.5 ET13 will fit my car with no issues?
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

kiama635 wrote:Can any one tell me if BBS RZ wheels 16x7.5 ET13 will fit my car with no issues?
as far diameter and width they will fit without any worries, offset is fine on a 7.5 as well, as long as the PCD is 120mm x 5 studs and centrebore is 72.56mm they will be fine.
kiama635

Post by kiama635 »

Thanks again. Will have to catch up soon.