Big Coupes hit the Alps - Oktober 29th & 30th !!!!!!!

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

ozbmw

Big Coupes hit the Alps - Oktober 29th & 30th !!!!!!!

Post by ozbmw »

Its that time of the year again, as I haven't been able to join you guys on trips of late I am looking for volunteers to join me in a few Bitburgers or L?wenbraus at the end of October

The Plan in its infancy is:

We meet at Jindabyne or Cooma on the morning of Saturday 29th and take a leisurely drive around the Snowy Mountains .....
perhaps via Thredbo, Tom Groggin, Khancoban, Geehi, Cabramurra and Kiandra to Adaminaby and then via Rocky Plains back to Jindabyne........

This drive will take us most of the day .... after which we can settle on my balcony for a few quiet ales and a BBQ

Jenny will be away on that weekend (she can't see the attraction to E24s) so we won't get the feast she prepared last year but I have some fine Penfolds reds and d'Arenbergs as well.
Bringing your sleeping bags and camping mats will entitle you to a bed or floor space at my house or if you so desire, there is lots of accommodation in town (5 minutes away).

Couple of pics from last year:

Parking off street is available and guard dogs will look after your babies.
I have reserved this spot for myself:

Sunday breakfast can be followed by some trout fishing from my backyard:
or a trip into Perisher for an early morning walk above the tree line:
Last edited by ozbmw on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:13 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Matt @ Snowy Mountains of Australia
http://bigcoupe.com/members/ozbmw
V

Post by V »

Wow this looks awesome, have always wanted to drive through that area. Worth the trip up from Melbourne for sure. I'd have to come up the previous day. (if your hospitality extends to 2 nights of sleeping bag on the floor)

Can't do the dates in October as it is my sons 5th birthday but I can make November.
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

V wrote:Wow this looks awesome, have always wanted to drive through that area. Worth the trip up from Melbourne for sure. I'd have to come up the previous day. (if your hospitality extends to 2 nights of sleeping bag on the floor)

Can't do the dates in October as it is my sons 5th birthday but I can make November.
Hi Vaughan, at the moment I am still flexible on the dates, just waiting to see MrE's commitments as I promised to make it on a weekend he can attend. So Ellis you can chime in here .......
and I am sure you could camp here on Friday night, the extra night will only cost you one bottle of red wine ! :D :D (insert here " d'Arenberg Footbolt 750ml")
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Hi Matt,

I'm keen, should be good for either date really.

The whole route is stunning and the roads are sensational so it's worth making the effort and putting this in your calendars.

-Ellis.

ozbmw

OKTOBER IT IS !!!!!

Post by ozbmw »

After discussing the proposed timings with Jen ............. October it is.

Finer details will be worked out later and posted here.

Cheers for now, Matt
Last edited by ozbmw on Sat Aug 06, 2011 11:24 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Sounds great. I won't commit yet if you don't mind as that weekend is our wedding anniversary and by then the missus might have run off with the milkman or she might just want me out the house so i'll let you know closer to the date.

Regards
Paul
Redaussie6

Post by Redaussie6 »

Hi Matt, if I have a car I will be up for this for sure! Even not having a car worked out great on our trip to Bathurst, I can hop in anyone's car, some even let me drive theirs, so either way it looks like I'll be there!

Last years' trip to Jindabyne and stay was fantastic, that was the last time I drove my 635 so I need to make up for lost time! Looking forward to catching up, cheers,

Alex
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Please note that the date is going to be October 29th & 30th. My apologies for the earlier information, I really should learn to actually listen when my dear wife tells me things.

Vaughan hopefully you can still get up this way.

Paul you have no excuse now. [-X

Alex you're more than welcome sans E24. You can navigate for me if you like.
Last edited by ozbmw on Sun Aug 07, 2011 12:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
V

Post by V »

Ah bummer, no chance for me unfortunately.

Have an awesome trips guys.
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

ozbmw wrote:
Paul you have no excuse now.

Very true. I shall be there.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

I love the roads and scenery through the Alps. I'm a very definate maybe.
Narks

Post by Narks »

Been spending a lot of time in Canberra from Melbourne on business. Was hoping to bring the car up some time.

A hoot throught the mountains on the way home sounds like a good excuse to lock in the idea. Hope to join you all.

Tony
'86 635
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Hello Tony, hope to catch you here .................you too Ben !
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Wow! Love the photos. I need to be good to my wife so we can come along!!! Again, awesome scenic shots!!!!

josh
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Shipper 01 wrote:Wow! Love the photos. I need to be good to my wife so we can come along!!! Again, awesome scenic shots!!!!

josh
Hope you can make it Josh and Mrs Josh! the scenery really is magic around here, and in late October the weather should also be milder. Still need to bring your jumpers etc just in case.

As it gets closer to the date I will post some maps of the area ( or I will impose on Ellis to do them) and a proposed route.
There are several beautiful winding roads around here. (Actually what you won't find here is a straight road, just hills and bends.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

ozbmw wrote:As it gets closer to the date I will post some maps of the area ( or I will impose on Ellis to do them) and a proposed route.
There are several beautiful winding roads around here. (Actually what you won't find here is a straight road, just hills and bends.
This is a map of the route, isn't it?

Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

MrE wrote:
ozbmw wrote:As it gets closer to the date I will post some maps of the area ( or I will impose on Ellis to do them) and a proposed route.
This is a map of the route, isn't it?

I hope not, it's all Greek.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Paul Humpage wrote: I hope not, it's all Greek.
Greece is the word,

Is the word that you heard!
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Warm weather has hit the Alps !!!!

6 Weeks to go !!!
V

Post by V »

I was up at threadbo a few weeks ago, was drivig my brothers Imprezza and man it was fun. Really bummed I can't make it for this :(
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

4 weeks to go !!!

Meeting @ Berridale Shops, Berridale, NSW
Date: 29 October 2011
Time: 0800 hrs
Departing: 0830 hrs

We will head northwest from Berridale toward Adaminaby via Middlingbank,
then into the Kosciuszko National Park, Sawyers Hill, Kiandra, Cabramurra, Khancoban, Tom Groggin, Dead Horse Gap and Thredbo

At the end of the day we'll settle in for a BBQ & a couple of cold ones at Alpine Sands.
Sunday we might have breakfast at the Banana Cafe in Jindabyne and a visit to Charlotte Pass via Perisher Valley.

Fuel is available at Cooma, Adaminaby, Khancoban and Jindy.
National Park entry fee is $16 for a 24hr pass

Bring your camera, sleeping bag/camping matt, cold weather jacket and a bottle of red wine.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Sorry guys won't be coming. Rosies father is very sick in Brazil with terminal cancer. She flies back October 31 so that weekend will be booked out. Can catch up November or early December as will be at a loose end over these 6 weeks Rosie is overseas.

Josh
ozbmw

Post by ozbmw »

Shipper 01 wrote:Sorry guys won't be coming. Rosies father is very sick in Brazil with terminal cancer. She flies back October 31 so that weekend will be booked out. Can catch up November or early December as will be at a loose end over these 6 weeks Rosie is overseas.

Josh
Very sorry to hear about Rosie's father's illness Josh.
Look forward to catching up some other time.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Not much we can do for Rosies dad but pray. He went into hospital with what they thought was pneuminia and it turns out one lung is already gone through cancer and it's in his heart as well. He is on a portable ventilator to help him breath at the moment but it all sounds very advanced.

I'd be up for a November drive or the first two weeks of December. I can always just call Ellis and see if he needs to hit a pub somewhere in the ACT in his 6'er, then head down with Gertie. Maybe Paul needs to hit a pub. Ben can always recommend a good pub. Allan looks good in a pub and always pulls the good looking chicks!.... hmmmm..... a theme is building here!

Hope all is well with all.

Josh
nagaro635

Post by nagaro635 »

Shipper 01 wrote:Not much we can do for Rosies dad but pray. He went into hospital with what they thought was pneuminia and it turns out one lung is already gone through cancer and it's in his heart as well. He is on a portable ventilator to help him breath at the moment but it all sounds very advanced.

I'd be up for a November drive or the first two weeks of December. I can always just call Ellis and see if he needs to hit a pub somewhere in the ACT in his 6'er, then head down with Gertie. Maybe Paul needs to hit a pub. Ben can always recommend a good pub. Allan looks good in a pub and always pulls the good looking chicks!.... hmmmm..... a theme is building here!

Hope all is well with all.

Josh

Yeah, "I like to have beer with Ellis. I like to have a beer with Paul they drink in moderation and never ever get rollin drunk. They drink in the capital territory where the atmosphere is great. I like to have a beer with Ben cause Ben's me mate"
John
Sydney
Australia

1988 BMW 635csi - 'Glamour Machine'
BMW E46 M3 (Manual)- 'A shot in the arm'
2003 Nissan Maxima- 'work aholic'