2011 Autofest Canberra Sept 18th

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

V

2011 Autofest Canberra Sept 18th

Post by V »

I'm thinking about heading up from Melbourne for this one. Anyone else keen to attend?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

I'll probably check it out seeing as it's happening down the road from me. Matt & I attended last year and many of the cars are very impressive, but overall after 2-3 hours I'm done. The VWs are usually the most impressive by sheer numbers and the SL Mercs are true stunners, but the rest is pretty ordinary.

I've been much more impressed with the Shannons British car show held in December, just the opulence, quality, range and varying ages of E-Types, Astons, Bentleys, Rolls Royces and antique MGs is incredible, and the attention to detail in their build quality and their owner's restoration & maintenance is always amazing.

On top of that, the Shannons World of Wheels held in March is better again as it displays every marque you can think of, usually more than 1100 vehicles on display from Mercs to Monaros, Corvettes, Mustangs, Jensens, Buicks, Tatras, Edsels, Toranas, BMWs, Astons, antique fire trucks, ambulances, motorbikes, rotaries, on and on and on. Its worth a long drive from interstate to check out.

-Ellis.
Last edited by MrE on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:49 am, edited 2 times in total.
V

Post by V »

Would you guys put your cars in the show or just come down and check it out?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Yeah, mine & Matt's cars were on display, mainly so we could park right there!

Here are some pics of the rest...

V

Post by V »

Looks pretty good, few familiar cars there.

Pretty keen to head up, would be great to meet you guys face to face too.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Yeah, that's cool, I just reckon I'd be a little cut having done an 8 hour drive to check out this show, with another 8 hours to get back home.

But if you do make it here, I'd be happy to take us for a cruise on some of the local backroads if time permits.

Last edited by MrE on Wed Dec 26, 2012 6:55 am, edited 5 times in total.
V

Post by V »

Haha sounds good, I'd be happy with just the show though. If nothing else it's a weekend away from bob the builder and Dora the explorer....
World-Class6

Post by World-Class6 »

nice pics! The classic lines of the MBZ w124 coupe fit nicely with that of the E24 in this pic. Such a good looking car!

BTW~ I finally fitted some rare Carlsson 1/6 wheels on my 95 coupe and very happy with the looks, handling and set up. 8)
Attachments
DSC02620.JPG
DSC02620.JPG (83.86 KiB) Viewed 7596 times
85 M635 Schwarz (Found a new home in L.A.)
95 MBZ E36 AMG Coupe widebody Polar White
88 BMW E28 535is White
2000 Jaguar XJR Anthracite
2016 GMC Sierra Double Cab SLT- All Terrain Black
-------------------------------------------------------
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Ellis is this the show Rosie and I attended one year with you? From memory 2hrs was all that was needed to see everything. Rosie and I then spent the rest of the day at the war museum. Now that was worth travelling to see.

Josh
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Shipper 01 wrote:Ellis is this the show Rosie and I attended one year with you? From memory 2hrs was all that was needed to see everything. Rosie and I then spent the rest of the day at the war museum. Now that was worth travelling to see.

Josh
Hi Josh,

No, your visit coincided with the Electric Car Festival. Nothing so flash as the historic Porsches and Mercs above, the Electric Car Festival was all retrofitted Mazdas, Datsuns and VeeDubs with silent running zero emission powerplants. "Engage the silent drive," you may have heard me say more than once.

There was one brand new, bright red Tesla Roadster in the mix, but apart from that it was all pretty much clapped-out old jalopies that had been reborn Doc Brown style by electric conversion gurus in their backyard sheds.

-Ellis.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

privileged6 wrote: nice pics! The classic lines of the MBZ w124 coupe fit nicely with that of the E24 in this pic. Such a good looking car!

BTW~ I finally fitted some rare Carlsson 1/6 wheels on my 95 coupe and very happy with the looks, handling and set up. 8)
Yep, they're a very good looking car, and noticeably more luxurious inside than our Sixers. Our mate Nathan doesn't own this black car anymore, but it was great to have it along for a couple of our cruises to compare the two styles of German coupe.

hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Here's a pic of Jason Statham driving it when he still had front teeth!

Slightly out of sequence, here's another. Bit wallowy, isn't it

BTW, here's Cotter Dam (I think). I understand it's now at 100% capacity. Pretty impressive considering this was taken in 2007.
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Ahhh memories..

I only saw this guy a couple of times in the flesh

and I only saw this once. Didn't he sell it because he was having a family or something?
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

hoadie wrote:BTW, here's Cotter Dam (I think). I understand it's now at 100% capacity. Pretty impressive considering this was taken in 2007.
Actually that's Corin Dam, which is fed by the Cotter River, but check out this current pic as a comparison of how the drought has broken.

Cotter Dam is currently undergoing a major reconstruction to increase is capacity by 20 times (4GL up to 78GL). Our most recent heavy rains though (about 3 weeks ago) caused extensive damage to some parts of the construction site.

And keeping on topic, here's old Moneybags at Corin...

And yep, I think the bloke with the clown shoe breadvan upgraded to an X5.