Finally Got a 6er

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

KenC

Finally Got a 6er

Post by KenC »

Hi Folks,
Well I finally tracked down a car just before Christmas, bought it in Melbourne and drove back to Sydney "didn't miss a beat". :D
There are a couple of issues with it:
1. Found a leak on passenger side footwell "I think the windscreen needs re sealing", has anyone had this done and know how much it would cost?
2. There seems to be a plastic housing / grommet missing in the boot ont he drivers side "I've attached a pic its a funny shape".
3. There is a very fine crack in one of the feedin pipes on the rear muffler "the muffler looks like its in fairly good shape", do they have a habit of cracking due to the weight and bouncing or am I avoiding the dismal truth that it hass rotted from the inside out. The crack is very close to the muffler body. Whats a good replacement muffler or is OEM the way to go?
Attachments
May - Dec 2011 008.jpg
May - Dec 2011 008.jpg (142.67 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
May - Dec 2011 010.jpg
May - Dec 2011 010.jpg (39.35 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
May - Dec 2011 011.jpg
May - Dec 2011 011.jpg (35.83 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
May - Dec 2011 013.jpg
May - Dec 2011 013.jpg (27.67 KiB) Viewed 6503 times
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

nice car! Welcome to the 6'er brigade! You'll need to join our next outlaw run!
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

Hello Ken,
An awesome late model. 89 by the looks of it.
Have a look in the plennum chamber behind the firewall (Lift bonnet first) there are rubber grommets that seal where wiring goes into the cabin. these deteriate and allow water leaks, People often reseal with black silastic if this is the cause.

Regards
Greg.
DesktopDave

Post by DesktopDave »

+1...just did that myself with black RTV silicone (is that silastic?). Also check that the plugs are seated correctly and the scuttle drains are clear.

Nice looking ride you have there, looks well taken care of! Wish mine looked that nice! :oops:
KenC

Finally Got a 6er

Post by KenC »

Hi Folks,
Thanks for the greetings and advice will get onto them when back from Melbourne.
I've attached pictures of the crack in the muffler and the grommet / housing in the boot "there is one on the passenger side, just missing one on drivers side".
Appreciate the help and will definately be doing some runs this year.
Regards
Ken
Attachments
May - Dec 2011 017.jpg
May - Dec 2011 017.jpg (71.73 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
May - Dec 2011 018.jpg
May - Dec 2011 018.jpg (26.37 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
SANY0008.JPG
SANY0008.JPG (108.76 KiB) Viewed 6423 times
AusE24

Post by AusE24 »

The muffler will be a throw away, if you weld the crack it will be temporary only and most likely will be very thin there due to age.

Top Car..Enjoy

Greg
635 tragic

E24 Register

Post by 635 tragic »

G,Day Ken,
nice looking plastic bumpered sixer,its good to see that more are starting to surface. Could you send me details of your car so as i can enter you on the Register.All details are on the Register site of the Forum, any queries please contact me.
Cheers Bob E24 Six Series Register NSW & ACT
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: E24 Register

Post by MrE »

Gday Ken,

Welcome to bigcoupe and congratulations on the car. It looks pretty good and it'd be great to catch up with you on one of our local cruises some time.
635 tragic wrote:G,Day Ken,
nice looking plastic bumpered sixer,its good to see that more are starting to surface. Could you send me details of your car so as i can enter you on the Register.All details are on the Register site of the Forum, any queries please contact me.
Cheers Bob E24 Six Series Register NSW & ACT
Bob, mate, they're called 'world bumpers'! :wink:

-Ellis.
PorscheDude

Post by PorscheDude »

Nice! Great color and factory shadowline.
Enjoy!
'89 635CSi Black/Silver Gray #3269085
Bilstein Sports/H&R's, ACS Type II's, 5 speed, 3.91 LSD, UUC Evo 3, Lt FW

'95 E34 Touring Blk/Blk MTech Bumpers, Euro Trim, Euro Lights, BBS RX.

Past
'86 951 Blk/Blk '94 968 Polar Silver/Black