Wee Jasper run - Sat 5 May 2012

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Haha who said it would b ok without a heater??

I got the heat working now just not the fan.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

GazM3 wrote:Haha who said it would b ok without a heater??

I got the heat working now just not the fan.
Well Matt does live on top of Australia. Wee Jasper is a bit lower down. Anyway, you're from bloody Melbourne, you should be used to freezing your nads off. Heaters are for girls.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

So are u guys meeting up somewhere on Saturday. Logistically I'd have to leave Friday and stay somewhere local like yass and check out the Friday night activities or bring a tent and rough it somewhere. Any of u guys staying locally or are u just coming down for the day.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

That's a good question. I'll be driving to Canberra on friday night but have no idea where we're meeting in the morning. I'll just follow the fellow in the shit brown 6er.
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Very good. Those who are coming to Canberra first should let me know.

Anyone who wants to meet us at Yass should be ready at 10am at Coronation Park, Yass, which is on the corner of Browne St and Comur St (Yass Valley Way). Please let me know if you intend on joining the drive at Yass so we know who to wait for.

Destination: Wee Jasper, NSW

Date: Saturday 5 May 2012

Meet Time: 10am

Meet Point: Yass, NSW. Coronation Park on the corner of Browne St and Comur St (Yass Valley Way).

This is a Google map link of the meet point at Coronation Park, Yass...
Coronation Park

The run from Yass to Wee Jasper is a little over 50kms. Its a very enjoyable drive which we take at our leisure, and we take enthusiastically. With stops for photos and to admire the view we will probably take around an hour and a half or so to get to Wee Jasper.

This is a map of the route...
Yass to Wee Jasper

Walkie talkies are a great way to keep in contact while on the go, so bring 'em if you've got 'em.

Wee Jasper has electric bbq facilities at picnic areas by the river. I'll be bringing bread rolls, sausages, some sort of salad and coins for the barbie. Others feel free to bring along something or anything, but I'll bring enough for all, even if it is just a sausage on a bread roll with some sort of salad.

The Wee Jasper General Store has closed but there is a small pub called The Stables which sells soft drinks, beers and mixed drinks on tap or to take away, and a mix of wood-fired pizzas, meat pies and sausage rolls. To be honest though, I think the prices are a bit rough.

Any other questions or if I've forgotten anything, don't hesitate to ask.

-Ellis.
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Saturday May 5 is Rosie and my wedding aniversary so we're out.... on the town. Have a great drive guys.

Josh
hoadie

Post by hoadie »

Shipper 01 wrote:Saturday May 5 is Rosie and my wedding aniversary so we're out.... on the town. Have a great drive guys.

Josh
Did you ask Rosie if she'd like to join us anyway? I'm sure she'd prefer Ellis and my company..
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

it seems that I cant get out of work this friday making it pretty difficult to get there at a reasonable time on saturday, and if I drive overnight, the last thing I will want to be doing is more driving. Things change quick so If i can get out of friday it would be orsome to come up. Im 85 no 15 yes at this stage.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

hoadie wrote:
Shipper 01 wrote:Saturday May 5 is Rosie and my wedding aniversary so we're out.... on the town. Have a great drive guys.

Josh
Did you ask Rosie if she'd like to join us anyway? I'm sure she'd prefer Ellis and my company..
Of course not! I don't want to tempt her with you two casanovas! I'm positive Ellis keeps getting new tattoos to show Rosie!

See all soon.

Josh
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Good thing you checked with the boss Josh. How many years is May 5?

Gaz, lets hope work goes your way and you can get in on this drive. It's a bloody long way to come so its perfectly understandable if you have to give this a miss, but 6ers love a long drive...

-Ellis.
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

Hey Josh - my wedding anniversary is the 5th too! Best wishes to you and Rosie.

Guys - have a great Wee Jasper drive.

I really miss our combined cruises. We'll have to see if we can organise another "biggie" some time soon.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Tomorrow is our 5th wedding aniversary. We've been together 9 years.

Looking forward to the next big drive. Been doing a far bit of BMW work.

Stripped my racer. Sent the engine away to get it balanced and rebuilt. Upping compression to 11.5 to 1. Should go like a spanked kitten. Will dump the twin SU's for tripple webbers. She should be ready by the end of June.

Planning a 3.7 litre hot street engine for my 633. Got the hot street head with the porting and 290 grind cam. Will get a 3.5 block and take it to 3.7 litres. Will then put forged pistons in and up compression. Balance the lot and put it all into Gertie. Will keep the overdrive 5 speed for now but will put an LSD in. So at the end of the year I'll be good to go for a nice long drive.

Josh
Mark E

Post by Mark E »

That's spooky - it's our 5th wedding anniversary too.

The hot street engine for Gertie sounds awesome. That's the kind of thing I'd like to do with mine.

Who's doing the work for you?

Did you get the head done from a stock one or is it a special build and who supplied the 290 cam?

I'd love to know more.

Cheers...
Mark E
'82 635csi
In the Land Downunder
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

Thanks Ellis, that was a great weekend.

Regards
Paul
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Mark E wrote:That's spooky - it's our 5th wedding anniversary too.

The hot street engine for Gertie sounds awesome. That's the kind of thing I'd like to do with mine.

Who's doing the work for you?

Did you get the head done from a stock one or is it a special build and who supplied the 290 cam?

I'd love to know more.

Cheers...

Completing myself with a mate. My E3 2 door racer needed an engine rebuild. Turns out the pistons were not forged and had nearly heat welded to the block. This engine sounded hot when it ran previously so we are keeping its head as is and taking its block from 3.4 to 3.7. On this car so far I have;
- balanced the crank, harmonic balancer and fly wheel.
- lightened the flywheel right down.
- block being taken out to 3.7 litres now.
- purchased a racing clutch as the old clutch was standard.
- purchasing forged pistons and going for around 11.5:1 compression.
- will balance the pistons weight wise so they weigh the same.
- standard pistons weigh up to 680g each. Forged can be as low as 400g each.
- I have Lab scales for this that weigh to 1% of a paper clip in accuracy.
- So engine will be upped to 11.5:1 compression and be completely balanced and lightened.
- I will place triple weber 45 DCOE's on it.
- has an LSD and dogleg box.
- weighs 1000kg
- aiming for 320hp.

So while doing all of this I thought I may as well get my 633 going. The old 3.2 litre is tired. A compression test showed 120psi across all 6 cylinders. The work shop manual said it should run a 156psi and below 146psi is a bad engine (for a showroom car). So she probably runs at 160hp at the moment. With my 633 I have now;
- got the new dash.
- got the new front spoiler.
- purchased a hot head already running a 290 cam, double springs etc.
- It is the B34 head so not as good airflow as B35 head.
- head has been fully ported for hot street application.
- Chasing 3.5 litre block now to bore out to 3.7 litre.
- will then get forged pistons at around 11:1 compression.
- Already have the big bore throttle body and new exhaust.
- keeping 5 speed overdrive.
- will copy my E3 racer extractors as they are perfectly tuned.
The above should give me a nice hot street engine and still be drivable. I should be able to use my current harness and full injection. My ECU is not programmable so once in tuning may be a little tricky. Hoping for 280 to 300hp. The 3.7 litres should give me plenty of torque. As the tuning shop is completing my race engine now the 633 3.7litre should go together quickly. Hope to get it in this year.