Exhaust System for 1989 Series II 635

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

brianlutman

Exhaust System for 1989 Series II 635

Post by brianlutman »

Hi Sydney 6 Owners,

I'm a brand new member of bigcoupe - introduced by John Bracks.

I need a new exhaust system including catalytic converters. I'm very interested if anyone can recommend a supplier and fitter of same in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. My mechanic recommended Hi Tech in Darlinghurst who I believe are very good but pricey at "$2500 - $2,800". Someone else recommended 'Motorsports Downunder' but they are difficult to deal with, don't provide a phone number so you have to email them, also they are re-designing their systems and they won't be available for 2 months and they are priced $2,400/$2,800 NOT fitted!

If anyone can suggest a reputable supplier in the eastern suburbs I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Brian
Paul Humpage

Re: Exhaust System for 1989 Series II 635

Post by Paul Humpage »

brianlutman wrote:Hi Sydney 6 Owners,

I'm a brand new member of bigcoupe - introduced by John Bracks.

I need a new exhaust system including catalytic converters. I'm very interested if anyone can recommend a supplier and fitter of same in the eastern suburbs of Sydney. My mechanic recommended Hi Tech in Darlinghurst who I believe are very good but pricey at "$2500 - $2,800". Someone else recommended 'Motorsports Downunder' but they are difficult to deal with, don't provide a phone number so you have to email them, also they are re-designing their systems and they won't be available for 2 months and they are priced $2,400/$2,800 NOT fitted!

If anyone can suggest a reputable supplier in the eastern suburbs I'd appreciate it.

Cheers,

Brian
G'day Brian,
Welcome to Big Coupe.

I can't recommend anyone in the eastern suburbs but just for the record my new exhaust set up including new cats was $3000 about 3 years ago. The muffler section is a Supersprint which is a bit more expensive than standard but that $2500-2800 is about right.

I had mine done at Peak Performance out here in Parramatta.

Regards
Paul
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Congratulations and welcome to the madness! Even though it is a great thing to own a 6er, it does not qualify for a "Fest". When you post, please make sure to post in the right section of this forum. This would have been better in the "Cars and parts wanted" section. I understand that the response is a lot better that way :wink:
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Hefeweizen wrote:Congratulations and welcome to the madness! Even though it is a great thing to own a 6er, it does not qualify for a "Fest". When you post, please make sure to post in the right section of this forum. This would have been better in the "Cars and parts wanted" section. I understand that the response is a lot better that way :wink:
I think he posted in the correct section. Generally, us Aussies all stay here and use this fest section for all forms of discussion. It's our coffee foorm.

Welcome Brian to us Sydney 6'er nuts. We look forward to catching up with you on one of our drives.

I run an earlier 1977 633CSi and replaced my entire exhaust system for $500 cash with a new 2.5 inch system. Not stainless Steel but my car goes owe so much better. It can be done very cost effectively if you need to.
markh

Post by markh »

+1 on Supersprint. Did a cat-back last year for about a $1K. Love it!
1988 ///M Zinno/Lotus 70K miles
Hefeweizen

Post by Hefeweizen »

Shipper 01 wrote:
Hefeweizen wrote:Congratulations and welcome to the madness! Even though it is a great thing to own a 6er, it does not qualify for a "Fest". When you post, please make sure to post in the right section of this forum. This would have been better in the "Cars and parts wanted" section. I understand that the response is a lot better that way :wink:
I think he posted in the correct section. Generally, us Aussies all stay here and use this fest section for all forms of discussion. It's our coffee foorm.

Welcome Brian to us Sydney 6'er nuts. We look forward to catching up with you on one of our drives.

I run an earlier 1977 633CSi and replaced my entire exhaust system for $500 cash with a new 2.5 inch system. Not stainless Steel but my car goes owe so much better. It can be done very cost effectively if you need to.
well, then I sit corrected. My sincerest apologies!
Rainer
03 330Xi (DD)
85 635CSi (RIP 3 May 19)
80 633CSi (Red Euro, Project)

"If you think a good European mechanic is expensive, try a bad one!"
Shipper 01

Post by Shipper 01 »

Hefeweizen wrote:
Shipper 01 wrote:

well, then I sit corrected. My sincerest apologies!
No problem. We Aussies would never meet up if we posted in the global section. We'd get lost in this huge forum. Feel free to have a coffee with us here any time.
TrevorB

Silencer

Post by TrevorB »

Hi Brian, I don't know if this helps but I have a new 635 rear silencer for sale, PN 1176657. Imported it a few months ago but found mine to be a 633 item with larger pipes (?).
brianlutman

Post by brianlutman »

Thanks to all who replied and offered various advice. On Friday I had new stainless system installed by Hi Tech in Darlinghurst. ( Total cost: $2,500 ).

I'm extremely happy with it! It's been custom made and as such provides much more ground clearance than the old system ( so it doesn't bottom out on my garage driveway ). The car is perfoming much better i.e. noticeably faster acceleration and smoother overall performance. Also the sound is even better than before.

Cheers,

Brian
Paul Humpage

Post by Paul Humpage »

I well remember the day i had my Supersprint fitted. As i pulled out of the mechanics i gave it a bit of welly and the bloody car took off like a rocket, it was lovely. Bloody noisy as hell for the first week though but it soon settled down to a lovely burble that it has now. I was surprised how much difference a decent exhaust system made.

Regards
Paul