Driveshaft rear universal replacment 86 635csi manual

Pictures and talk about SharkFests in Australia with the E24 as the primary focus

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Sulimon

Driveshaft rear universal replacment 86 635csi manual

Post by Sulimon »

Hi Guys a couple of yours ago I replaced my 3.45.1 diff with a 3.7.1
Recently the car developed backlash. I understand this may because the universal was lined up incorrectly and has collapsed the shells. Climbing under the car certainly confirmed that. So my question is. Where do I go from here. I spoke to Brian at Hardy Splicer who said the uni's are up to $200 and then there is setup and balance cost. Sounds expensive. Have any of you guys gone through this repair? What would be the best course of action?
Cheers
Steve
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Suggest you re-post this in the "Engine-Mechanical -Electrical" section. You will get more replies from there.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

Steve
I tried to buy a new rear uni for my M6 but had no luck with the usual suppliers., finished up with hardy spicer welding a complete new rear drive flange and replaceable uni onto my drive shaft. From memory I think the whole job was about $300.
Sulimon

Post by Sulimon »

m6dave wrote:Steve
I tried to buy a new rear uni for my M6 but had no luck with the usual suppliers., finished up with hardy spicer welding a complete new rear drive flange and replaceable uni onto my drive shaft. From memory I think the whole job was about $300.
Thanks Dave, that sounds like the best option. Probably stronger to, cheers
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Sulimon wrote:
m6dave wrote:Steve
Thanks Dave, that sounds like the best option. Probably stronger to, cheers
At $300 you will have spent 3/4 of what a completely rebuilt replacement costs.

Driveline has them for about $420 and that includes free shipping both ways (retuning the core), and it comes with a new center bearing and all of the u-joints and is machined and fitted with replaceable U-joints and unit is guaranteed for 50 000 miles or 5 years (most others are only guaranteed for 2 years). Check out these links:

viewtopic.php?t=11155&

Driveline Service of Portland
http://www.driveshafts.com/pages/bmw.html
m6dave

Post by m6dave »

Hi Chris
Thanks for the info. Unfortunately for us downunder the two way freight on the complete drive shaft bumps the cost up heaps. You guys are so lucky having the choice of suppliers and low shipping costs.
thanks again
Dave
MrE
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by MrE »

Dave's absolutely right about the shipping, which sucks for us, but nonetheless the info Chris has provided is awesome. That earlier thread Chris has linked to is amazing with its clarity of detail, direct links on where everything is, and the variety of relentless follow up advice he's given.

I'm amazed and grateful at the sharing of advice and guidance all you fellas provide. Image

-Ellis.