Shop lift for home use

Basic needs related to restoring a 6er including
Electronics, Bodywork, Welding, Painting, Engine Swap, etc
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Shop lift for home use

Post by Da_Hose »

I considered wheel stands too, but when you raise a car, the wheels drop fully, and camber way inward. When you lower the car back onto the wheels, they push outward again. I would be VERY concerned about a stand tipping as the weight comes down on it. The solution would be stands with wheels and locks, but that is also a bit unnerving. That makes stands which support at the frame/body much more appealing to me.

I finally had a chance to use my tall stands with that scissor jack this weekend. I was dropping the rear sub-frame out of my 2002, and needed to re-position the lift pads. I was able to leave the car at full lift, and just raise the rear of the car by centering the jack on the sub-frame, right under the differential. Then I broke the sub-frame loose, and used the jack to control the drop of the sub-frame, making sure everything was clear. That allowed for a nice easy lowering down to the floor, using some rope and S-hooks as pulleys. I think I will get an extra jack, and fit it with an attachment mechanism so it holds on to the jack-stand post tightly.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
Jono B good

Post by Jono B good »

You always go really old school and dig a pit. That's my grandfather used to have at his old ESSO station back in the 70's :D
~Cirrusblau-Metallic~
mirdif64

Post by mirdif64 »

The lift has been multi tasking recently.
Some 2'' x 10'' and a wheel chock and the bike is at a nice height for oil change.
IMG_20180913_210128_1CS(1).jpg
IMG_20180913_210128_1CS(1).jpg (461.27 KiB) Viewed 9176 times
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

That is EXACTLY the idea I had! =D> Looks like it works great!

I plan to use an HF chock with a wide metal cross bar for better lateral stability.
1987 M6 - My dream car
mirdif64

Post by mirdif64 »

I did look at a wheel chock with the cross bar and built in eyelets for tie down straps but it was twice the weight of this one. I've used eyebolts on the side of the lift mounted in existing holes instead for the tie downs. Bike is quite secure just using the chock. The straps are ''Belt & Braces'' really. Currently using a piece of wood with steel straps across it to bridge the open part of the lift (under the front wheel) but will replace it with flat steel plate cut to length, which will just drop in place to give better lateral support.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

I'm thinking that the long crossbar will let me weld on some hooks, so I can slide it back onto the end of the lift. Then I just need one securing point in the center to keep it from sliding forward, off the tip of the lift. That should allow for really quick on/off with just one good sized bolt. I'll post up pics. when I get it done. The more flavors we have of projects like this, the more we benefit as a community, right? \:D/

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
mirdif64

Post by mirdif64 »

Definitely. It's amazing what you can learn from other people's projects.
I reckon I'm almost there but I can see a few things to improve it a bit.
Your lift looks exactly the same as mine, so one minor issue is that you cannot lower it all the way to the floor with the bike platform on (due to the piston at the open end) but should be able to get it so it's only 10'' off the floor, which is not too much of a push up the ramp.
The irony for me today is that the M6 was stuck in the garage next door as the fuel pump (external) failed before I could shift it. Spent most of the afternoon lying under the car (after jacking it up a few times, getting wooden blocks under the wheels to get it high enough for access) changing pump and fuel filter. Thankfully my brother (mechanic) was on hand to do most of it, or I'd probably still be lying out there !!

Steve.