Centre console removal

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

bigboystoy

Centre console removal

Post by bigboystoy »

I'm trying to remove the centre console in order to remove the a/c components but I've come to a halt because I cannot get the console over the auto shifter or wiring plugs.

Hopefully the photo's show the issue.
This section gets jammed
This section gets jammed
Dash1_LI.jpg (899.64 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
This is where the black plastic gets stuck
This is where the black plastic gets stuck
Dash2_LI.jpg (917.67 KiB) Viewed 6692 times
I've been using this excellent write up ( http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/download/file.php?id=22513 ) but I cannot see how the black section distorts enough without breaking to pull the console out far enough. Also, how does the cigarette lighter come out.

If anyone done this removal without breaking anything I'd enjoy your input.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
bigboystoy

Re: Centre console removal

Post by bigboystoy »

Ok, so with no quick answers I charged back in this afternoon and managed to wrestle the console out far enough to disconnect the cigarette lighter but have now got stuck on the wire plug for the OBC. How does it unplug. Because the access is tight, I don't want to force anything but I'm unable to see exactly how the plug releases.

Suggestions???
Console in an awkward position
Console in an awkward position
Dash3.jpg (59.79 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
Looking at top of OBC
Looking at top of OBC
Dash4.jpg (57.12 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
Looking at rear of OBC
Looking at rear of OBC
Dash5.jpg (83.28 KiB) Viewed 6666 times
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

The center black section helps to keep the plug in place. Pull that straight out - it doesn't actually pull off, just out of it's current position then the green plug can be removed. Good luck

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

Thanks. 2 seconds and it was off. Very easy with the right guidance.

Now onto the next part.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Interested to hear more about how you got the ashtray base over the shifter and tunnel connector - wriggling, technique or brute force? I did mine a couple of weeks back and that was exactly where i got stuck too. Eventually went the brute force route - was sure the base would crack. In the end it didn't but the plastic brace holding the carpeted panels together either side came off one side (the plastic is stapled into the board - staples pulled clean through, splitting the wood).

Have now sorted the OBC (why i took it out in the first place) and a ton of horrific butchered audio wiring behind (bonus being my electric aerial now works too :-)) but not reinstalled the centre console yet - i've repaired the brace but worried it will break going back in again (or that i;ll break the ashtray). Contemplating removing the handbrake lever to allow more wiggle room - also the auto handle (should have done that when taking it off).

FYI after removal i discovered the console had been out before - the car has window lifters as part of the alarm so the switch wiring had been cut into. I noted someone had previously flattened the metal bracket on the tunnel where the wire connectors harness through, presumably to aid in the refitting - surely it can be put back in without such savagery...?
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

Candycj1, brute force was the only way, being careful about the black undertray (it flexed alot more than I thought it would). The round wiring connector I managed to pull apart but the half connected to the metal bracket, I bent back to make more room. The hand brake was a problem but lifting it up so the console stood straight up seemed to get the job done. The cigarette lighter was difficult but with some assistance earlier I was able to get the OBC unplugged.

Almost at the stage of putting it all back together. Just wondering whether to do something to improve the ac fan. Still not sure.
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

bigboystoy wrote: Mon Jun 24, 2019 11:01 am Candycj1, brute force was the only way, being careful about the black undertray (it flexed alot more than I thought it would). The round wiring connector I managed to pull apart but the half connected to the metal bracket, I bent back to make more room. The hand brake was a problem but lifting it up so the console stood straight up seemed to get the job done. The cigarette lighter was difficult but with some assistance earlier I was able to get the OBC unplugged.

Almost at the stage of putting it all back together. Just wondering whether to do something to improve the ac fan. Still not sure.
Got the console back in but as expected the plastic brace came off again - have decided not to bother with it as the console is held in place by the tunnel and various screws anyway. Cigarette lighter was a pain: worse though is my OBC is now dead so it looks like I’ll have to take it back out again to see if I’ve damaged anything - absolutely hating this job....
bigboystoy

Post by bigboystoy »

Sorry to hear the install didn't go as planned. I've just today completed my a/c project and put the interior back together again. Putting the console back in was a case of push, lift, squeeze, swear, hit and repeat until it finally gave in an jumped over the shifter gate and big cable connector. Luckily, nothing broke and all wires and switches work so I've had a win. Best part was I only ended up with one washer left over. =D>
Past toys:
1979 Volvo282GT
1988 Porsche 944S
Current toy:
1986 635 CSi
Candycj1

Post by Candycj1 »

Happily seems I simply hadn’t pushed the OBC connector in far enough - fitted properly and all now working correctly. Just as well, am in no mood to take that console out again any time son!