Turn signal won’t return to off after turn

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Jlc

Turn signal won’t return to off after turn

Post by Jlc »

My turn signal does not reset after a turn. I thought the little nib was broken but when I pulled the steering wheel I discovered the nib is intact and if I signal a turn I can push it and it resets. I have no idea what is wrong.
85 635CSi Bronzit
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Turn signal won’t return to off after turn

Post by bpoliakoff »

Well if the "nib" is good it has to be inside the switch. Could be a spring or or a broken cancellation "arm" The switches can be opened by drilling out the rivets and put back together nusing small screws. I did mines this way and it works fine now.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Thanks. The odd thing is it works just fine if I put the turn signal on an manually add then push the nib as if I am coming out of a turn and straightening the wheel the turn signal, goes off. It’s as if the steering wheel is missing a catch for cancelling the signal.
85 635CSi Bronzit
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

What are you calling the "nib"? Is it the tab on the back of the steering wheel that fits inside the arms of the turn signal? If you haven't pulled the steering wheel then you don't know if the tab that fits in between the arms of the turn signal arms is intact. That could be your problem and not the switch. That is where you have to start. That is what brings the lever back to the neutral position
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Yea, I've pulled the wheel since I am in the process of replacing board gears. Good news was the previous owner replaced the SI board with a Programma board. By nib, I mean the catch on the actual switch that resets the turn signal indicator when the wheel returns to center. My expereince is when a turn signal is not working properly it's usually a switch issue, such as the catch breaking and this not reseting the switch; so I was surprised to see the switch to appear to be intact and function as designed with the wheel off. That leads me to think something on the steering wheel slip ring is not engaging the reset mechanism properly.

I'm wondering if it was something is as simple as when the wheel was last pulled the turn signal was not off and thus not properly set within the steering wheel and thus the nib was never engaged when the wheel turns. That would be a first, a fix that is actually easier and quicker than planned.

Thanks.
85 635CSi Bronzit