Clock reset

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

80euro Csi

Clock reset

Post by 80euro Csi »

I have been doing work on the 635 and disconnect the negative post on the battery. Some times when reconnected the clock can be set with no problem. Other times it just reads1:00 and won't do anything when I push the little pin holes.
Does anyone know the trick to resetting when battery is reconnected? Is it a function of waiting time to reconnect battery?
Attachments
2021-07-01 13.32.02.jpg
2021-07-01 13.32.02.jpg (187.27 KiB) Viewed 3886 times
80euro Csi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Clock reset

Post by GRNSHRK »

Have you tried to depress the center "time" button" while resetting :-k

Works for me, as I have been removing that fuse to exchange the bulb in my glove box a few times, trying LED's :roll:

I'm also going to move your thread to the "Interior" forum, might get more hits there, unless you do plan on turning this into a project :lol:
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

Thanks ,I do push the center button, doesn't seem to matter. It's been doing this on/off for years. I thought I'd see if someone knew a secret to it or perhaps why?

By the way I recently changed the glove box bulb to Led and it works great. Amazon has one that is a direct exchange for the incandescent.

Serundo Auto BA9S Led Car Bulb BA9 1895 1891 53 57 Led Car Bulb, 2SMD 3030Chips 6000K White 47830 64111 3893 LED Car Bulb for Car Interior Dome Map Li
$11.60 with tax for 10 of them. No more burning my hand looking for stuff in there.
80euro Csi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hmm, don't know of any other secrets :-?

And thanks for the tip on the LED =D>

Got a few on the way from Superbright LEDs \:D/
Bobbo
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Update, as I had to reset my clock several times while dicking around with the glovebox light :-"

I noticed that sometimes it would read 1:00 when reconnected to power, and other times it had the correct time, but just the amount of time elapsed missing while disconnected, very odd indeed :-k

Think I would just chalk it up to 80's electronics :-"
Bobbo
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

I've seen the same. Makes me think there's a capacitor back-up in the clock that will keep it on for a while in the background if it loses power, but not actually 'running', as in the clock advancing. I do know it's a heck of a lot easier to bump the time forward to correct it than it is to start over at 1:00.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

Well thank you and it's nice to know I'm not totally losing it or alone. I did manage to find one on ebay one year newer out of a 5 series and bought it.
That meant I could take apart my mine, that decided to work again. I found that there are two pretty good sized capacitors that I just left alone but I suspect one or both may be the culprit.
Anyway I have a backup in case the newly purchased fails me.
I was really surprised at what a chore it is to get to the clock. It seems to be the center of all things in that portion of the dash. I'm currently awaiting LEDs for the dash lights in hopes of the 50000 hours before I have to do it again.
Well thanks again for your responses.
80euro Csi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Good points Ken, makes sense and probably puts an end to this mystery =D>

Setting the time is very easy either way, however, just a few pushes with a pen/pencil tip does the trick \:D/

I'm actually thinking of going "backwards" to an analog clock, which I think would look more period correct :-k

I actually have one, but I have to test it and somehow clean the inside, as it's not clear [-o<
Bobbo
ColinC.sg

Post by ColinC.sg »

Hi, I’m facing the exact same issue....
Just happened again recently. Not sure what needs to be done for it to get the clock to move.
When the 1.00 display is on, it can’t be adjusted. Just air of hangs.
Also haven’t figured out how to remove the clock.
I’ll be following the thread. As I would appreciate any pointers as well.
Thanks

Here’s a picture ... recently splurged on a new radio from blaupunkt
Attachments
D924EDEA-D302-4D28-BDEE-C4D3E7D89AD4.jpeg
D924EDEA-D302-4D28-BDEE-C4D3E7D89AD4.jpeg (514.44 KiB) Viewed 3701 times
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

Well hello and sorry for your luck. I would first find the 8 watt fuse, (white), for the glove box, emergency button, cig lighter clock and remove it for ?? half hour and reinstall and pray that shocks it back on.
Short of that remove ash tray , gently pull decorative black horizontal screen out (2 clips bottom and one top be careful . Pull straight towards shifter NOT up and down too much. Then remove radio, lighter, emergency button, remove bridge that held radio ,etc. drop the panel under the steering wheel ,open glove box to expose control extensions 2 screws each and remove them the small panel 1" your right side of clock dash exposes 2 screws holding dash assembly and remove. Remove handles for open, vent ,etc, and 2 screws top and bottom on each side. Unplug rear defrost and gently work dash out to expose clock. careful as there is a thermo couple that will uncoil enough to accomplish this. Now 2 10mm plastic extension nuts and jockey the wire looms and you have the VDO clock in hand. I forgot, I removed steering wheel for easier access. Think it's a 22mm.

Hope that helps. When I get back home next week I could send you a picture as mine is still apart waiting dash LEDs.
Best of luck
80euro Csi
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

Hello again.
After giving it some thought, you probably don't need to do the as tray, radio, hazard, etc. removal. Just get the dash assembly out via all the other steps.
I should have given it a little more thought.
80euro Csi
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Actually may be even simpler than that =D>

If you want to access the panel that contains the clock and HVAC controls, I recall it being fairly easy, with a couple of caveats :-k

Those 2X vertical "panels" adjacent to the sliders just pop out, forward :wink:

Behind them are 2X screws on each side, that secure the panel in place :lol:

But here's the caveat, the rotary controls are attached using these kinda "knee" type connectors that are made of plastic and likely fragile at this point in their life, which need to be disconnected [-o<

There are probably harnesses to deal with as well, just be careful, after you manage to disconnect those flexible connectors 8-[

I haven't been back there for years, so this is all from distant memory :-"
Bobbo
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

My car only has one (1) vertical panel next to driver side. That said, I can't imagine how to get the dash assembly to come forward on my car without removing screws in the back of the tubes?
It would be nice if BMW built most of the cars the same but it keeps it interesting.
I'll take a harder look when I get home tomorrow about removal from the rubber/plastic arrangement directly behind controls. That would save a bunch of steps.
Thanks for all of your input and knowledge. It helps!!
80euro Csi
80euro Csi

Post by 80euro Csi »

Back home
Took a look and you are correct. There are snaps that when pressed the tubes separate form the other assembly. However, I can't figure out how you would get to them without a little more disassembly?
Attachments
top right  tube fits into lower brown triangular female adjacent to wire loom and is held by snap as seen on both tubes
top right tube fits into lower brown triangular female adjacent to wire loom and is held by snap as seen on both tubes
2021-11-09 13.36.21 (2).jpg (715.18 KiB) Viewed 3635 times
80euro Csi
Lbs6

Post by Lbs6 »

If I remember correctly when my son and I did that. We remove the glove box and came in on the side to get one. Then we were able to get to the other one through the front. We removed the connection on the other side of the flex joint, it was more assesable. I would consider replacing those joints if they look questionable. I have seen many broken joints due to age and rough handling. They were still available recently online for not much $. If you have factory AC be careful with the controller tube, you don't want to kink it.
Leonard
80 633 polaris
79 635 (euro) fjord
85 635 schwarz
ColinC.sg

Post by ColinC.sg »

Hi all, thanks for the input. I haven’t had time to follow through over the last few weeks but had to get my alternator serviced last weekend.
The couple of hours with the battery disconnected somehow did the trick and now the clock is working fine after reconnecting everything
Must be some capacitor issue I’m guessing.