Blaupunkt Barcelona 200

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

sideshowbob

Blaupunkt Barcelona 200

Post by sideshowbob »

Currently I have a Kenwood head and 6 CD player in the boot of my 635 CSi.

Obviously the head unit is not original, but its redeeming feature is that it has a removable facia for security and it has red backlighting in keeping with dash lighting etc.

However it is not a DAB radio and reception is to say the least old school. The CD player also has a bit of a background ticking noise as well, and obviously there is no mobile phone interface

So all in all not a great ICE experience.

I was thinking of updating the system but still need to have a unit that is compatible with the age of the car, and have noticed that Blaupunkt now produce a small range of modern DAB radios that are retro looking, have red back lighting and have all the functionality including mobile phone interface.

Has anyone installed one of these units from Blaupunkt, if so do they compliment the BMW interior and what is their performance like.

The one I am interested has a single play CD built in, which I quite happy about as the old 6 player in the boot was always a bit of a nuisance if the truth be told.
Jlc

Re: Blaupunkt Barcelona 200

Post by Jlc »

They look pretty slick, and are a lot less than a Bremen. I wonder if they have US frequencies. My 85 has a real tight space and many single DIN radios are simply too deep to properly fit; and the Barcelona looks like it is too deep as well.

I have a modern unit that has customizable colors so it looks BMW red but is clearly a modern deck. I’ve toyed with finding as vintage BMW radio and adding Bluetooth built that has issues as well. One challenge is the wiring in the 85’s is not the same as current stereos use in that speakers are not separately powered so I had to run new wires to the front and reused the existing only for the rear in order to get it properly setup. I probably eventually will run new wires to the rear as well.
85 635CSi Bronzit
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Hi Jlc...my '88 Highline already has cabling in place for 9" oval speakers in front footwear as well as rear headrest speakers.
There are no front tweeters etc.
Regarding the wiring I know what you mean, I've taken this head unit out before to get to the OBC and the wiring is not pretty!
I thought I would get one fitted professionally.

What attracted me was the look, RDS and the telephone capability.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Do the RHD sharks have more space for a radio? My 85 won’t accept most radios as the a/c blower etc. block the back so only short chassis radios fit properly, as i found out when replacing the vintage Alpine in mine.
85 635CSi Bronzit
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Not sure about radio sizing.

I always thought radios were built to a DIN standard so that they would always fit....maybe that is just for the front panel and not the overall depth.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Exactly. The 6 has limited space. I found ones with CD didn’t fit.
85 635CSi Bronzit