Elec Mirrors Not Working

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Elec Mirrors Not Working

Post by Guest »

Another electrical issue - trying to solve them one by one!!

Neither electric mirrors work. I've tried a different control switch (from an e30 of the same year) and still nothing happened. No motor clicking, no movement, no noise what so ever. What do you guys reckon?

Does these have two motors, one for each mirror, or one motor? Where is this/are they housed?

Cheers.
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Mirrors

Post by ron »

The motors are inside each mirror.Check fuse#17 it should also control

the heater fan.

Ron.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

You will find it a challenge to get at the innards of the door mirror. It may mean that you end up breaking the glass.

I have a spare driver's side motor which I could let you have for a song if you want.... :wink:
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

there is a solenoid clutch and a single motor in the mirror. In order for the heated mirrors to work, one wire is default set to +12 volts and another is earthy (as long as the switch is still connected).

It may be possible to get the glass out without breaking anything but it will be very difficult; there are four spigots that are glued to a swivel frame inside; it is one of these things that looks a lot more obvious after it is in tiny pieces.

When the switch is moved, the polarity of the wires on the output side should change.

I have (courtesy of Ivan) a couple of scrap mirrors and I intend to post their inner secrets before too long.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

What year is your car? Fuse 17 is for the earlier cars, but '86 or later use fuse 19. Did you check for power at pin 4 of the control switch with the ignition in run (not accessory)?

Drew

Post by Drew »

I did read an article where someone was swapping the innards from some volve (2 series?) mirrors into his 6er. I think that the gist was that the 6er mirrors have a lot of parts in common with the volvo mirrors. Google may turn this up for you...

sounds like a similar diagram to those on mk2 golfs, again I have seen a diagram on the internet...
horsetan

Post by horsetan »

Drew wrote:I did read an article where someone was swapping the innards from some volve (2 series?) mirrors into his 6er. I think that the gist was that the 6er mirrors have a lot of parts in common with the volvo mirrors........
View it HERE
VPRRAM

Re: Elec Mirrors Not Working

Post by VPRRAM »

I know this is an old thread, but I bought a 1979 633csi. It came with a power mirror on the driver side (US) left, so I picked up a right side one off of ebay, mounted it, wired it, and nothing. I used my power probe and the motor is good, it moves...with the power probe, but not with the drivers side switch. And yes I switched from driver to passenger... cannot get the power mirror switch on the driver door to control the passenger mirror.
Is there another connection in the harness I am missing? Any ideas?

Thanks all, Mike
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

When you state that you "wired it", is that from a harness @ the passenger window or from the mirror switch?
When supplying power is it @ the mirror? Are you getting juice from the switch to the connection to the mirror wires?
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
VPRRAM

Post by VPRRAM »

The passenger door is "pre wired" factory...the harness is there, the 4 wire plug, from the factory. That is how I am powering the mirror.
Didn't know if there is a another connection, like on the driver door, I needed to make. Or a fuse...Haven't tried to see about the switch on the driver door, I guess that's next.
I was just wondering if anyone else had done this, and was trying to use there experience.

Thanks for the response,

Mike
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Mike, I would agree with checking the switch in the driver's side door, it just pops out [-o<

But you also might want to check the wiring that goes through the "looms", or accordions in the door jams, as maybe one or more wires have failed, and this is where they move every time the door is opened and closed :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
VPRRAM

Post by VPRRAM »

Thanks for the help...I'm not much of an electrical car guy...but will be learning...i guess... :D

Mike
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

I hear ya :-({|=

I call it "chasing electrons" ](*,)

Good luck, please let us know the fix [-o<
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

A few thoughts:

Have you checked for power and function at the loom connection as well? If that is good, then it may be in the physical connection between the mirror and loom.
You could check for proper switch function at the switch, and the check for no open circuits through the loom with an ammeter and a few long wires to connect to each end of the loom switch and harness connections).

Sorry if some questions are obvious but electrical issues are a bear and I've gone down a road when I should have checked the obvious. I was ready to tear into a sunroof that wouldn't move when I decided to check the switch. Turns out the PO disconnected it when the sunroof lining came loose. Plugged it in and like magic the sunroof works. At least we don't have Lucas electricals.

I'm trying to figure out why all of a sudden I get blown fuses after switching to Euro blinker and side light in Buber. Should work since wiring is the same but who knows what happened.
85 635CSi Bronzit