1988 635csi Bootlid torsion bars, boot lift mechanism

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Trickysadd

Post by Trickysadd »

Looks just the job.
I am driving over to my mates house Wednesday evening as I can't wait any longer or risk losing a limb in my boot.

If we fail to persuade the torsion bars back in, I will have one.
Whats your estimated turn around now you have a prototype !

Richard
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

I am still in, though who knows what I will do with it when done. It will just have to be thought of as one of those "1" job tools, that you can't do the job without and makes it worth having when finished
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

I can make more in the next few days. If you are desperate, pm me your address, send me a cheque, and you can have the prototype.

Do bear in mind that the boot springs can dislocate if the mechanism wears badly; the connecting link goes over centre. There are tabs which look as if they might stop the spring from moving too far, but appearances are deceptive. My springs went like this; yours might be similar. I have devised a simple kit that doesn't correct the wear (this requires a load of new parts), but does prevent its worst consequences.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trickysadd

Post by Trickysadd »

Hi Brucey,
I suspect mime may have gone over centre. I'm not sure . The car was partially stripped when I bought it. All the parts were there except the boot springs for some reason. In fact the whole boot interior looked like it had been ripped out.
Anyway I have left it until now. I've got the new bars and spacers and we will endeavour to get them in tomorrow eve. I am hoping that even if the mechanisnm looks like it may go over centre we may be able to weld a "stop" onto the hinges or something, where it has worn.

We are not going to waste time on it however, so if it becomes a pain I will p.m you asap.
We are also looking at replacing with hydraulic rams as most cars now have, but I'm not sure if that will work.

I am desperately trying to get another summer out of her before some fairly major welding, but every day something else falls off or breaks
( today it is brake light failure and washers, and yesterday the exhaust started blowing....)so if the boot puts up a fight I will buy the tool and it will become part of the restoration!!
Trickysadd

Post by Trickysadd »

Done !

I did ultimately end up laying in the boot but it only took about 15 mins once the position of the mole grips was optimised !
Brucey
6 Series Guru
6 Series Guru

Post by Brucey »

good work; that is how I have done it in the past, too.

Needless to say you can hook both springs in less than a minute, with one-finger effort required, if you have the right tool for the job.

cheers
~~~~~~~~~~~~Brucey~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Trickysadd

Post by Trickysadd »

Hi Brucey,
I agree the tool would have made things a bit easier. The fiddly bit was getting the other end in the hole and hooked on before levering the spring arm in the slots. Hence laying in the boot !

It was clear that the torsion bars had gone "over centre" before which is probably why they were removed. Ive seem the golf tee solution here but we just drilled and tapped a little bolt to move the "stop " slightly.

Not sure if that makes sense unless you have done the job, but its difficult to explain !
C51 SEN

Re: 1988 635csi Bootlid torsion bars, boot lift mechanism

Post by C51 SEN »

Hi Brucey, I know this is an ages old thread, do you have any more of your special torsion bar tools available? I'd love to buy one if you do. Regards Darren (Kent, UK)
1988 e24 635csia Shadowline Delphin Grey, Lotus White
2005 e64 650i Black convertible
2010 f11 520d touring Champagne
2018 R9T 1200 motorbike