Trunk Lid stuck (solved)

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

spankey

Trunk Lid stuck (solved)

Post by spankey »

Folks, just wanted to pass on a semi-success story after having my trunk lid stuck shut for almost 5 months. Yeah.. that long. This is on my 1988 635Csi.

Trunk was stuck in common way, where the key when turned CCW unlocks via the central locking system, however when I depressed the button, I couldn't feel any resistance, and the trunk wouldn't un-latch. No amount of banging, sitting on the truck while depressing the button worked, until I tried pushing the truck lid forward as Chris Wright suggested in some older posts.

Insert the key, and turn CCW, while pushing forward on the button. Don't break your key. Do this while AGGRESSIVELY pushing forward on your trunk lid. Mine eventually popped, and opened. I inspected the latch on the top of the trunk, and saw some slight evidence of scored metal. The latch mechanism moved aft when I depressed the button, so I realized that the latch was just unable to clear the catch which was bolted onto the trunk.

I thought it would begin working, so I closed the trunk.. and got it stuck again. Repeat the process, pushing forward on the lid AGGRESSIVELY, while turning the key CCW and pushing the button forward also. It opened again.

At this point, I realized that the latch on the top lid of the truck had drifted aft, and was too far aft for the latch to clear it, thus allowing the trunk to open. Using your 10mm (I think) tools in your trunk kit, I carefully loosened the trunk latch (Part 10) in this link.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=41_0643

Move the trunk latch forward a couple millimeters, and then re-tighten those 10mm bolts. Try the trunk again. If it's still not working, move that latch forward again, slightly, and tighten down hard again. You don't want this part coming loose and drifting/moving aft again.. you'll be locked out.

Once you get that tightened, you should be good to go.

I'm going to be checking my '85 M6, as well as my '88 M5 to make sure this bracket isn't drifting aft, because I don't want to have to potentially bend the trunk lids getting them open to repeat this fix.

Hope this can help somebody.
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: Trunk Lid stuck (solved)

Post by GRNSHRK »

Good job and thanks for posting the info =D>

OK if I remove a couple of these duplicates :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
spankey

Re: Trunk Lid stuck (solved)

Post by spankey »

Yeah, kill the duplicates. Internet was horrible this morning when I posted it.

Thanks!