Exterior Door Handle R & R

Post in this forum for topics relating to the exterior. This includes body, windows, and accessories

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

thefiatek

Exterior Door Handle R & R

Post by thefiatek »

I had some trouble finding this in the forum and it looked like a bit of a Gremlin when it's really not. So here's the easiest way I found to do this. Takes about 2 hours on the first try.
1) Remove the lower panels
2) Rotate the door lock with the key to what I call the overlock position. (horiznatal fully to the right)
3) Remove 4mm bolt and retreive latch actuator.
4) Drive the keeper shown in pic out with a long flat screwdriver. The lock rod will now fall off.
5) Remove return spring.
6) Drive the retainer clip for the central locking elcetrical assy. towards the rear and slide the electrical portion off.
7) Slide central lock electrical assy. off of tumbler assy.
8) Rotate tumbler assy. counter clockwise and remove
9) Remove 4mm nut from forward part of lock assy.
10) Remove 6mm nut from lighted key assy, on the forward part of the handle.
11) Using a small flat screwdriver, pop the rea clip at the top of the handle upward.
12) Again small screwdriver, pry on the front clip and pull towards the rear.
13) Pull up on the outer handle and outward. It's a tight fit, but it will come out.

Assmbly is the revese of removal, only be certain that when you install the actuater spring for the lock that you drop it at least 50 times, hunt for it for at least a half hour, and avoid kicking the car during this process. Most importantly, when you put that spring back on, note that the 1st clip you remove that is shaped in a 90 degree fits BETWEEN the lock spring. This clip is also somewaht concave with a groove cut in it. Prefit it before installation as you will likely bend it flat on removal. (ask me how I know)
After you install the clip, it helps to take a small pick and give it a slight bend to keep it from sliding out from the lock actuator.
IF you hav any questions, please feel free to ask. Hopefully the pics. post well if they do not, just ask and I will e-mail them to you.

Good luck and bloody knuckles to all.
Attachments
lock1.JPG
lock1.JPG (335.08 KiB) Viewed 31204 times
lock2.JPG
lock2.JPG (331.23 KiB) Viewed 31204 times
lock3.JPG
lock3.JPG (283.27 KiB) Viewed 31204 times
Drew

Post by Drew »

thanks for that, this is a job I have been putting off for a while now
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Drew wrote:thanks for that, this is a job I have been putting off for a while now
When you come to sunny Wales, I've got one in bits, so will show you the

intricacies.
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Great Photo's**

What actuates the micro switch under the lock heater?

**(Took me awhile to realize that photo's need to be uploaded in the reverse order from what you want them to appear in, i.e. the first photo you want in the series needs to uploaded last.)
thefiatek

Post by thefiatek »

The switch under the lock heater is actuated by the piece that is attached to the lock rod. On the back side it has an eccentric that pushes on the switch. It's absolutley imperative that the 90 degree (or 'L' portion of that keeper) be postioned in between the spring tines for that part to rotate and activate the micro switch. If yours is not functioning, make sure that the 'L' clip is pushed all the way in. If it has been removed, it may be flattened out a bit allowing it to slide. That's why I recommended bending the clip a bit to secure it.
Attachments
Lock 5.JPG
Lock 5.JPG (341.78 KiB) Viewed 31141 times
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Ah, now I see it, thanks.
Chris Wright

Post by Chris Wright »

Here is another picture of the lock assembly showing a "U" clip and no spring for the "L" shaped keeper like above. In this thread:

viewtopic.php?t=6247&

GWL talks about this spring breaking and having to replace it with "the newer style latch now sold "

So, I guessing the photo's above show the early style and the one below shows the later style?

[Edit] I just read the BigCoupegroup Tech Library write-up and it indicates 2 styles. It's a pretty complete write-up, don't skip it:

http://www.normgrills.net/bcg/Body_Inte ... or10134915
Attachments
Lock_Composite1.jpg
Lock_Composite1.jpg (58.32 KiB) Viewed 30820 times
chykneestweakr

Post by chykneestweakr »

is the key cylinder pictured above a 5 key code or a 4? How can you tell? Does the L-pin work with a 4 key code or only a 5? I have the exact same issue pictured above and need to find a repair kit to replace the cylinder. Does anyone know if there is a proper repair kit for the cylinder above that uses the L-pin or do you have to get a new one from the dealer?
Blackfin

Post by Blackfin »

Does anyone know where to source or what the part number is for the gasket/seal surrounding the door handles?
ron
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by ron »

Blackfin wrote:Does anyone know where to source or what the part number is for the gasket/seal surrounding the door handles?
If you use realoem you can find all the part numbers yourself! Try it.

#8 below.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... g=41&fg=40
They are ALWAYS rustier than you thought!!!!!!
'85 M #228
'87 M #367
'88 High line.
'10 X5
‘84 Alfasud 1.5 ti
Blackfin

Post by Blackfin »

Thanks very much
BA in CT

Securing the Circular Spring on Re Assembly......

Post by BA in CT »

Things have been going smooth on the lock cylinder door handle Rebuild....but I am really having a problem tensioning and then correctly installing the circular spring that sits in place around the cylinder before you install the lock rod and or actuating plate in photo above(with plate) and then the L clip....

Does anyone have any tips....?
84 M635
84 euro 635
95 540i x2
84 euro 635(Sold)
85 535i(sold)
baders
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by baders »

I used simple persistance, and lots of it, a fine set of needle nosed pliers, and a small flat blade screwdriver to manipulate that spring. Place the spring so that you only have to manipulate one leg to get it into final position.
1986 635csi LOCUTUS / Arktis Blau Metallic / Pearl Beige / S38B36/ Close ratio dogleg 5sp
2002 E46 M3 / Topaz Blau Metallic / Black Nappa / 6 speed SMG software tuned / Bilstein PSS10 Coilovers / CMP RACP reinforcement
Caribe Turf

balls and spring

Post by Caribe Turf »

does any have or know where to source the two ball bearings as they have a tendency to "spring" out and the spring?
BA in CT

Post by BA in CT »

I know its not what you were looking for....but I just went and bought this:

https://www.ecstuning.com/ES89163/

You can then take it apart....use your tumblers for your key and you have a new spring and the 2 bearings....
84 M635
84 euro 635
95 540i x2
84 euro 635(Sold)
85 535i(sold)
Jubilados

Re: Exterior Door Handle R & R

Post by Jubilados »

AD9B9F1F-1DD2-4582-B3FF-0CC3DD09E516.jpeg
AD9B9F1F-1DD2-4582-B3FF-0CC3DD09E516.jpeg (415.58 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
A39E7C8D-547C-4970-83AC-F1C8EB5BBD11.jpeg
A39E7C8D-547C-4970-83AC-F1C8EB5BBD11.jpeg (596.51 KiB) Viewed 8054 times
Hi, I did this job this week, I needed to remove the handle to replace the handle gasket.
I looked up I think every thread on this that was posted in the past 15 years, it seemed very daunting.
I found that it isn’t quite as difficult as most make it out to be.
One big thing is that most people seem to add unnecessary steps, which makes it more difficult and finicky (dealing with a spring that needs to be put back, possibly a ball bearing dropping out and getting lost, etc).
If you only need to remove and replace the handle, you can dispense with many of the steps in this thread. Namely, the “L” clip that holds the key tumbler should be left in place. Instead, only remove the clip on the bottom of the rod that I’ve circled in red.
When you do that, and remove the “U” (or “horseshoe”) clip, you can then rotate the lock assembly counterclockwise 90 degrees and pull it out.
Once that’s out, you can do the other steps, which are all easy.
Here’s a picture of the lock assembly removed, without taking it apart.
F4713A36-5005-4CA3-BB99-DBE2E095E7DD.jpeg
F4713A36-5005-4CA3-BB99-DBE2E095E7DD.jpeg (1.43 MiB) Viewed 8054 times
Jubilados

Re: Exterior Door Handle R & R

Post by Jubilados »

So, in other words, you can skip steps 4-7 in the original post.
You can also skip Step 2.