LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

MisterFixit

LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT

Post by MisterFixit »

This is the 'Hella model 38' (legacy part number 5238) CHMSL Center High Mount Stop Light or 'Cyclops' center brake light.
(Last time I could get this, it was $20 more - go figure... let's blame the pandemic!)
This is sold by (good guy) Daniel Stern and I have made a connection... I will be ordering some soon. Lead time is 12 weeks. I am taking names for a group buy, so think about it. The lead time of three months is a bit long, but if you wait and I run out, six months is even longer.

Hella's 'legacy' part number is model 5238. They have 12 LED elements, each with it's own 'lens' - NICE AND BRIGHT. Inside, the panel holding the LEDs is adjustable up and down so you can AIM THE BEAM (hot spot) at the idiots behind you. Ideally it would search for their eyeballs, and aim itself accordingly, but for now, you aim it where most of the eyeballs will be, and hope for the best.

They mount to the glass at top (best defense against trucks and SUVs) or bottom of the back window, and run off the brake light wire with NO WIRE CUTTING, no clam-shell guillotine wire-slicing taps, no damage to the conductor or insulation. I customize the wiring to be plug and play. I ran mine through an existing hole in the package shelf, or you can run it next to the wheelhouse alongside the wire harness. You can have the wiring totally hidden this way.

This model is versatile - every pre-1986 BMW can use one, even other cars pre-86 that didn't come with it. DOT required this on all cars from '86, trucks from '95. I had one on my 2002, and no more idiots in my trunk after that!

Upgrades to the stock tail lights will also help (hint, hint). I have a new method of restoring the reflective properties that is TRULY like a mirror. Be the first on your block to have this vast improvement in light output. Mo Brighta, Mo Betta.

Update--
Hella is also making two related models of this light -- designed for back windows at flatter and more vertical angles. I can order either of these as well, if you want.

Here are the details:

PRICE- $99 each, wired for a coupe to 'plug and play', plus US shipping, prob. $6-7.
If you can, I ask a $60 deposit; this order will cost me upwards of $2,000. A little help?
Model 5237, 'coupe' - glass 20-36 degrees (from horizontal)
>Model 5238. 'sedan' - glass 37-56 degrees< best for the E24 Six and most BMWs
Model 5239. 'wagon' - glass 57-80 degrees

All are 12V, 3W, with 2.5m (98 in.) of wire and all (I think) the same price as model 38.
IF YOU WANT another model, PLEASE NOTE in your request: "model 37, please" or as applicable.

Thanks!
Last edited by MisterFixit on Sat Apr 24, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: LED CENTER BRAKE LIGHT

Post by hornhospital »

You've told us just about everything we need to know but the price......
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by hornhospital »

Double post. No idea why. I clicked once. #-o
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

hornhospital wrote: Wed Apr 21, 2021 4:12 am You've told us just about everything we need to know but the price......
Hmmm, that was an omission on my part. I am shooting for under $100 for a plug and play setup, specifically adapted to your vehicle. I have the Hella connector terminals that will allow this, making the installation clean and reversible. Instructions included.

My previous source's price was $20 higher, this is a nice development. I hope to get inbound shipping per unit down by ordering a whole bunch of them, and am offering this deal on the coupe, 2002, 3- and 5-series forums as well. The more, the cheaper.

Any more questions, just ask!

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
Lighting Upgrades for 2002, E3, E12, E21, E23, E24, E28, E30, E32, E36, E39 - front & back
Headlight and Tail Light upgrades for maximum visibility. Headlight protection to keep lights intact.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

I'm in on one for an 85.
85 635CSi Bronzit
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

Jlc wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 9:00 pm I'm in on one for an 85.
Got you down for 1.

PRICE- I decided $99 was reasonable, plus shipping from me to you.
Hella will pay shipping from New Zealand to USA, which is where I am.

It will help if I can get a deposit of $60, refundable if you want to drop out.
(I will probably get more orders after I pull the trigger).

Last batch I ordered, had to charge $132. This is much better.
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
mereandowesda

Post by mereandowesda »

I'm in for one for an '85. How do you want the deposit?
Ralph in Socal
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Ralph in Socal »

Andy, I’m in for future x2 as I would like you to see if the light is adaptable to e24 or e28 factory TBL housing. My cars are not factory original so I want my TBL actually mounted as stock. More concerned with being seen by the texting fool behind me. PM inbound. Thanks

Ralph
There is a very fine line between "Hobby" and Mental Illness.

85 635csi Zinno Auto
84 528i Euro
83 635 Euro Arktik
81 528i Kastanien 5-speed
88 528e Bronzit (Granpa Car)
86 535i Auto (For Sale)
81 633 csi (retired)
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

mereandowesda wrote: Sat Apr 24, 2021 12:44 am ...How do you want the deposit?
Deposits can be any of three methods: PayPal, Money Order, or Check.

PayPal payments to my email, Checks and Money Orders are mailed. Send me a PM or email, I will reply with all needed info. You can "send email to MisterFixit" from my profile page - just click my username. Also, please provide car info- year, model, VIN, and your shipping address.

Note - for Money Orders, US postal are the safest and most reliable. Fill out completely, and keep the 'sender copy.'
No Western Union, Money-gram, Venmo, Bitcoin, or other non-traceable payments, those are for scammers.

Thanks!
Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE-
There are now 30 lights on the order, it's been quiet for the last 3 days, so I think I am going to pull the trigger soon.
P9191560.JPG
P9191560.JPG (449.03 KiB) Viewed 4761 times
I will wait until May 5 to place the order. After that, you can still request one but the cost may be higher (shipping and such for singles may be higher than it is for 30). $99 plus shipping for this group.

Just the detail: I have to pay in advance, the order cannot be canceled, 12 week lead time, I will pre-wire for plug and play to six series lights (or another model if you tell me).

Will contact those with no deposit in hand to confirm before I place the order. This is going to all the BMW forums, from E3 Bavaria and E9 coupes to E30 three series.

If you are not on the list, I will probably do this again later in the year, maybe your car can be laid up over the winter and this will make more sense then?

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE _ UPDATE _ UPDATE

OK, this is getting better every day! I put this post up on several vintage BMW forums, and have gotten good response.
Three are going to members here, and Thirty-One on other forums.

Predicted lead time (order to delivery) was 12 weeks, but I was contacted by Hella that there 'may' be a chance of shorter lead time.

Last minute guys - you have two days before the order deadline, this Friday. Get a pm to me or wait for my announcement that they have arrived, and we''ll see if there are any unclaimed extras. Pre-wired, ready to plug in and light up the night.

Same deal, same price: Send me your email, name, username. Your $60 deposit puts you on the order list, no deposit puts you on the wait list.
Deposits by PayPal to [email protected], with the same information in the notes.

FYI - I am also ordering two each of the other variants (#5237 for flatter, and #5239 for steeper back window angles) just in case...

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

ORDER PLACED.

Any more will go on the wait list, and get one if there are any left over (there may be a few)
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE -
Expected Delivery TO ME is 5 August, 2021.
When they arrive, and on final payment, I will wire per your request for plug-in installation and ship.

If you are interested in any other upgrades to the rear lights, contact me meanwhile, we can talk about integrating the center brake with other upgrades.

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"
MisterFixit

Post by MisterFixit »

UPDATE - they got here EARLY!

I am notifying folks of final balance due and wiring and shipping, please have patience, thank you very much.

As a bonus, I also got a pile of headlight film from my new vendor, and if you want some of this I can include it with your light, no extra shipping charge. Think about it, and let me know when I contact you.
5 inch, 12 mil, clear or yellow tint- $18/pair
5 inch, 20 mil, clear only- $20/pair.

Andy
"Be Seen, and Not Hurt!"