What is My 635csi worth?

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Austintatious

What is My 635csi worth?

Post by Austintatious »

Hello everyone. I am a long term 6er owner... I have owned a Euro spec grey market 83 635csi since I was 17 and am 42 now.

About 10 years ago I acquired a second that is an 86' in Cinnabar red with manual transmission and the electric Buffalo sport seats. My father had purchased it about 5 years prior, drove it for a while, then "sold" it to my brother, who never made a payment and thus he took it back from him and GAVE it to me after my brother tapped a car and dented the nose.

The car was in very nice overall shape when I got it, but had taken a light nose strike. I had the nose replaced and painted to match. I then started to get really anal about things and have been spending money on it like mad for a decade. I put all new exterior rubber on it. I replaced a bunch of suspensions components and had it all re aligned. I replaced ANYTHING I could that was not functional. I could write a huge paragraph.

To keep it simple, The car is an amazing example of a 635. Almost everything on it (besides the wheels) is Original and functional. The radio system included. It has the Alpine radio with blaupunkt amp in the trunk. The only other thing that does not function is the damned rear window blind. It does not retract and I have not dug in to figure it out (yet). I am also missing a few of the seat hinge covers, which I have been unable to track down, but am still trying. The paint is in fantastic shape as well. It is an 86' with 112k miles on it. The engine runs really well as over the last 10 years I have started it regularly, driven it a little and kept it in the garage. I just put new tires on it although they are not especially high quality and the wheels are ASA and silver.

As a bonus, I have pretty much ALL the stuff that came with these cars. The glovebox flashlight, the box with the BMW cassette tape and head cleaning tape and radio code cards and Owners manual. I have the emergency road triangle. The trunk tool kit is complete.

I plan to sell the car, but I have no idea what it is worth. I would like to be smart about selling it so I am asking for opinions on how much you guys think it might be worth. The other question would be about the wheels... Should I put something else on it to sell it? They look good but I know how Bimmerphiles are.

It will pain me to sell it, but I do not need two of these cars and TBH, while my Euro spec is not nearly as nice, It is much more special to me as I drove it in HS... I would like to make room and time to do what I have in mind on that car.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: What is My 635csi worth?

Post by hornhospital »

I won't hazard a guess what it's worth without seeing it, but I can tell you that Bring a Trailer is your best bet to get the most $$$$$ for it.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

The 86 is a US version?
TimU

Post by TimU »

No pics?
Where are you located?
04/1986 635csi Euro spec
Australian Delivered, RHD
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

Yes this 86 is a USA version. I am in Fort Worth Tx.

I have an appointment for complete detailing on Monday, Ill be doing a photoshoot shortly after.

I also just sprung for some nice BMW wheels... The crap my father put on there just wasn't going to fly... Not sure Ill get my money back on them but at least I can hold my head high when she goes to market.
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

You can look at sales history from BAT and gets an idea. BAT, IMHO, is great for sellers because I think they get top dollar, so if you're pricing for a local sale you may be too high. I used it to get an idea of what to insure mine for. I'd look at similar cars, adjust prices p or down based on the appreciation overall from the date of sale to today.

An accident likely will make it less appealing.

Craigslist will likely get a lot of low balls and tire kickers; when I bought mine hat's what the seller told me when I asked why it hadn't sold yet since it was clearly priced right, IMHO.
Last edited by Jlc on Wed Jan 19, 2022 6:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.
85 635CSi Bronzit
Slownrusty

Post by Slownrusty »

Without pictures and based on your description, I say $25k (min.)
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

+1 on what Slownrusty posted. Can't wait to see photos so I can up the price.

Bob V
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

Slownrusty wrote: Wed Jan 19, 2022 5:26 pm Without pictures and based on your description, I say $25k (min.)
I'm working on some pictures, we are having our once a year snowstorm here in Texas right now. I am also waiting on a new ABS sensor and when it gets here I'll put the BBS wheels on her (yes I am that lazy!) and get some pics in the sun.

I'm getting very very close to listing her. I am going to try first to get BAT to accept it.

I am sad but excited to sell her... it will make time and $ for me to start on my Euro 635 and open up a lot of garage space.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

What happened? Did you sell it?
Austintatious

Post by Austintatious »

Pod wrote: Mon Feb 21, 2022 9:04 am What happened? Did you sell it?
Still gearing up to sell... I still cant seem to get over wanting it to be perfect.

I fixed the rear sun shade which was not retracting. It works now. Also, the electronically controlled fresh air vent was not working. I know the motor was bad and replaced it... but upon digging into it further I found that the control unit was not working. I cannot find one so I took it to an electrical engineer friend who help me troubleshoot it... There is a bad Integrated circuit on the board. We ID-ed it and have one on order.

I have a few other things I want to do before I list it. I am in no rush, I want to make it as perfect as possible and make someone really happy.