Whos e24 has a broken odometer? Odometer gears here!

Post in this forum for cars and/or parts for sale.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

garagistic

Whos e24 has a broken odometer? Odometer gears here!

Post by garagistic »

Hello bigcoupe members,

We had a few members in the past buy from us and mention it would be good to introduce ourselves here. So here we are finally!

We wanted to start this thread regarding one of our small products currently out that most e24 owners seem to be interested in. Odometer gears.

These are basically the gears that always go bad and the odometer/trip stops working.

This include the 12 tooth gear, the 12/48 gear, and the e3 gear which is usually either 19/48 or 17/48 gear. (19/48 seems to be the most common e3 gear for e24 cars)
If you have a different third gear count let us know and we can get that to you as well.

E24 odometer gears can be purchased here (we only accept paypal payments at this time):

https://store.garagistic.com/e24-odomet ... ption=true
USE COUPON CODE:bigc

COMMON QUESTION REGARDING COMPATIBILITY: For US market e24 vdo gauges the most common third gear count is 19. (the first two gears are the same in all e24s. However there are some cars that have a different third gear count (sometimes 13 or 17). By default we send the 19 count gear. If you turn out to have the less common gear count and it doesn't work for you, let us know and we will make it right. We take care of our customers.

Instructions can be found here (these are for e30, but the process is the same)

http://garagistic.com/index.php?page=vd ... structions

Last edited by garagistic on Wed Jan 17, 2018 5:15 pm, edited 3 times in total.
mauser

Post by mauser »

Hi

I bought 12 tooth gear from you recently. Had a problem with it (gets stuck every 11kms, like teeth are not completely same so they get stuck eventually) so I sent you message explaining problem. And you still didnt reply. Thats not great customer service and disappointing.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

mauser wrote:Hi

I bought 12 tooth gear from you recently. Had a problem with it (gets stuck every 11kms, like teeth are not completely same so they get stuck eventually) so I sent you message explaining problem. And you still didnt reply. Thats not great customer service and disappointing.
Very sorry to hear that. Not sure how we missed the email but we are always willing to make it right. If its a faulty gear we will replace it. We stand by all of our products. Did you replace all the gears or just the e1 12 tooth?

In our experience, new gears do not usually play well with old gears. The harder new gears just beat up whatever was left of the old soft factory gear. Have you open up the cluster since to see if this was actually the issue?

Please PM us your paypal email or email us at [email protected] so that we can help you with this issue. If possible please send us photos so we can quickly help you get to the problem and get your odometer rolling again.

Again we apologize for missing this the first time and are willing to make this right for you.
Ozibimmer

Post by Ozibimmer »

Hi There
Im in Australia and want to order so can you pm me and also could I just order the extra 17/48 or 19/48 options for the third gear so I have both in my order just incase its the wrong size?
Let me know how much to Oz and how much for the extra gear please,
Kind regards
Addam
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

Unfortunately I have heard of multiple issues with the quality of your odometer gears. :cry:

Thank you for the post and good luck with your sales, but I would rather buy my gears from odometergears.com -- especially since they have the E12 based Euro gears I needed...
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
photopark
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by photopark »

I have installed garagistic gears on multiple cars and never had an issue. Great product at a great price.

odometergears.com sells their gears for more then the price of gold.
JCS

gears for 4-87 build date

Post by JCS »

Does anyone know the correct 3rd gear for a 4-87 build date?
Jay
'88 M6, Red/Tan
My NEW Website https://www.jaysbmwparts.com/
MöchteWeiß

Post by MöchteWeiß »

photopark wrote:I have installed garagistic gears on multiple cars and never had an issue. Great product at a great price.

In this case, you get what you pay for. Jeff was the first guy to make durable copies of these gears available for anything near a reasonable price, and he will make sure they work for you every time. He is a generous supporter of the BMW community and a good friend (Yup; I'm biased, but this is all true.).
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

I want a set...but had problems with your ordering site. Also...theres no field to enter the coupon code.
Another problem is my address I entered doesn't show the State...tried entering the address twice to no avail.
If you click on PM below, you can send me a message.
Thanks,
Kevin

EDIT: I figured out the issue...if the customer selects the drop down arrow at the top of the page the wrong order page opens. So I backed out and used the Shopping Cart button and it took me through okay, but the State still doesn't show on the entry screen.
ALSO: THE COST IS $19.30 SHIPPED TO SO CALIFORNIA...NOT $18 AS YOU STATED ABOVE. ORDER NUMBER 978.
photopark
Bigcoupe Contributor
Bigcoupe Contributor

Post by photopark »

Area 52 wrote:I want a set...but had problems with your ordering site. Also...theres no field to enter the coupon code.
Another problem is my address I entered doesn't show the State...tried entering the address twice to no avail.
Thanks,
Kevin

EDIT: I figured out the issue...if the customer selects the drop down arrow at the top of the page the wrong order page opens. So I backed out and used the Shopping Cart button and it took me through okay, but the State still doesn't show on the entry screen.
ALSO: THE COST IS $19.30 SHIPPED TO SO CALIFORNIA...NOT $18 AS YOU STATED ABOVE. ORDER NUMBER 978.
$18 shipped in the us (CA residence we got to charge tax. Sorry!).
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

photopark wrote:
Area 52 wrote:I want a set...but had problems with your ordering site. Also...theres no field to enter the coupon code.
Thanks,
Kevin

$18 shipped in the us (CA residence we got to charge tax. Sorry!).
OOPS...thanks Doug!
bpoliakoff
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by bpoliakoff »

M?chteWei? wrote:
photopark wrote:I have installed garagistic gears on multiple cars and never had an issue. Great product at a great price.

In this case, you get what you pay for. Jeff was the first guy to make durable copies of these gears available for anything near a reasonable price, and he will make sure they work for you every time. He is a generous supporter of the BMW community and a good friend (Yup; I'm biased, but this is all true.).
\

+1 for sure. Odometer gears.com are not molded plastic, but are machined for a very precise fit.
81 Euro 635 M90 with motronic. Currently under a complete nut and bolt restoration. Pictures at
flickr.com/photos/bertsphotos.
darth_vader

Post by darth_vader »

M?chteWei? wrote:

+1 on odometergears. i ordered E36 seat gears from them and received excellent customer service and a quality product. Jeff and Darren are tough competition if anyone is looking to take a piece of that pie ! ;-)

and the number 1 rule in this country is "you get what you pay for",,,
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

-1 for ODOMETERGEARS.COM.
They click in my 5 and they click in my brother's 6.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

All orders have been shipped and tracking numbers sent.
Area 52

Post by Area 52 »

garagistic wrote:All orders have been shipped and tracking numbers sent.
Received...installed a couple days ago and back in business. Thanks.
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

Area 52 wrote:
garagistic wrote:All orders have been shipped and tracking numbers sent.
Received...installed a couple days ago and back in business. Thanks.
Glad to hear.
garyw51

Post by garyw51 »

Same situation as Addem. I too am in Oz with a 1980 635 and the odometer does not work but the speedo does. What can you do for supply and cost of postage? Thanks
garyw51
1980 635;
1980 e12 M535; 1986 e28M535
82 e21 Oz Alpina; 82 e21 Baur
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

garyw51 wrote:Same situation as Addem. I too am in Oz with a 1980 635 and the odometer does not work but the speedo does. What can you do for supply and cost of postage? Thanks
Postage on all odometer gears is now $3.95.
Last edited by garagistic on Wed Mar 06, 2013 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
tschultz

Post by tschultz »

garyw51 wrote:Same situation as Addem. I too am in Oz with a 1980 635 and the odometer does not work but the speedo does. What can you do for supply and cost of postage? Thanks
Note that there are odometer gears-- early (your '81 E12 based), and late (E28 based as shown on the initial post).
http://www.Drive4Corners.com
'79 635CSi Revival
'80 635CSi
'83 633CSi Callaway Turbo continued as 1988 535is Turbo
SOLD: '81 635CSi/A
biggles

Post by biggles »

I have a 9/84 Euro RHD.

Is it possible to include the two possible gear count gears? I am not keen to take out and disassemble twice.

Is there rule of thumb for which cars have what gears? I am prepared to take a chance if I can raise the odds of getting the right gear.
81 BMW 635csi RHD Euro manual.
02 M5
02 MCoupe
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

biggles wrote:I have a 9/84 Euro RHD.

Is it possible to include the two possible gear count gears? I am not keen to take out and disassemble twice.

Is there rule of thumb for which cars have what gears? I am prepared to take a chance if I can raise the odds of getting the right gear.

Yes this is possible. PM sent.
Ozibimmer

Post by Ozibimmer »

I received mine, super super service and only have done 160 km since replacement but very good quality and great fit.
Used my gps with gear to check distance and spot on.
Need to order another set to show guys here just how good these gears are. I ordered the extra gear and found its the best way to make sure you get all the right gears for all E24 models for just a few $$$ more.
Thank you for great service with a fantastic product
Regards
Addam in Australia
garagistic

Post by garagistic »

For big c members only:

We are now including both 17t and 19t options with your coupon code. This makes it easier to ensure you have the correct gear for your application. We are only giving this deal to big coupe members.
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

Hey there. My odometer doesn't work also.
Would love to have some gears and as stated above sending both options would be cool. Don't want to pull out instrument cluster twice.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6