BMW 635 E24

Document your Sixer project here.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

jsisas

BMW 635 E24

Post by jsisas »

Hi,

I am new to owning a shark, but have had the shark fever for about year and a half now. Last week I finally bought myself a 1986 Automatic Bronze shark.
It drives great, switches gears smoothly, full electric brown leather interior.

2008 somebody full restored it, body, paint everything - tore it completely a part.
2015 that somebody sold it to another guy, who drove it in the winter and in the summer (we put salt on our roads). But despite driving throughout the winter, the body is still in very good condition.
After driving it in winter and summer from 2015 throughout 2020 he sold it to his friend who just kept it in his garage for about 2 years and did nothing to it, barely even drove it.
And now its my time to shine and give that machine love that it deserves.

At some point in time the automatic gearbox blew off and it was replaced with some kind of e32 gearbox, I was told it was not bolt on so I cant imagine how bad it can be down there.
But someone also made a custom outlet manifold, which sounds really good and looks like its really well made.

First thing after I got it maintained at the mechanic, bushings, new spark plugs etc.

As most cars with that age it comes with problems
Drinks 30l/100km?? I know I didn't buy a 1.2litre engine VW golf, but it seems excessive.
Two rust spots on each side of the sunroof (not inside the sunroof)
Rust bubble on front passenger side, rear driver side.
Rust on the passenger side where behind the rear window, where the water is supposed to come out.
AC control does not do anything, just blows cold.
Fan control is OFF/ON, cant regulate. Either is blowing really hard or its not blowing at all.
Somebody wired right taillight together with a left one, so I get an error in the display saying that the lights are not working.
Somebody very creatively welded together e24 seats on to the e28 frames and the welding has come loose.
Information cluster not working (Speedometer, fuel consumption etc, lights)
Windshield has a crack on it
There is wind blowing in from the passenger side mirror window corner
Speakers are present, but most of them are not working.
Front bumper chrome trim has some small rust on it, bubbling
The both rocker cover panels are a bit broken, the one side that supposed to go under the door has come of or is loose.
Tail wing rubber/foam is a little bit cracked
Windshield washer is not working, probably the pump.

Thats the list I have gather after driving it for a week.
Last edited by jsisas on Fri May 27, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 6 times in total.
BMW E24 635CSI
635sharknose

Re: 1986 Euro CSI E24

Post by 635sharknose »

Welcome here my fellow European.
Sounds like a great project.

A lot of the issues you mentioned were discussed before in this forum, you most likely will find the fixes soon. If not, just ask this great team of E24 enthusiasts.

Can't wait to see the photos.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
Jlc

Post by Jlc »

Fan control is usually a bad transistor - easy fix for heater as long as you are comfortable with a soldering iron, bit more of a chore for the AC unit. As mentioned, lots of the issues are covered on the board.
85 635CSi Bronzit
jsisas

Post by jsisas »

Also found out that the shark is overheating in the traffic jam or when behind red light.
Checked viscous clutch, it passed the simple test of resistance.
The coolant seemed fine, have to look deeper. Its resolved by replacing viscous clutch
Last edited by jsisas on Fri May 27, 2022 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
BMW E24 635CSI
635sharknose

Post by 635sharknose »

Nice car!
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige
jsisas

Post by jsisas »

Thanks 635sharknose, took a look at yours too. Not too shabby yourself :D

Today I fixed two out of three of my error lights. I managed to fix break light error and taillight error.
Breaklight error was due to someone creatively just bypassing the light module wire and leaving it open thus the module giving an error.
Taillight error was because the breaklight and taillight bulbs were switched, 5w bulbs were swapped with 21w bulbs, changed them back and we were back in business.

Last error I didnt manage to figure out was number plate light error.
The wire going from number plate light to lights module had voltage in it.
Both number plate lights were lit up.
Couldnt find any reason why it would give me an error.

Also found out that my driver seat rails one of the bolts was rusted out pretty bad, now I am just afraid of how far has it gone...
Will probably find out next weekend.

I also tried to change thermostat since it had been overheating a little, but I forgot that I also need the engine silicone for it. Will probably change it tommorrow.
I have some doubts about in the fault of thermostat, since today when it was quite hot and I was in a traffic jam the meter didnt go above 1 o'clock.

Maybe I should also change viscous clutch since I have some doubts about it - haven't tried the newspaper trick, but tried turning it while hot and it had very little resistance.
BMW E24 635CSI
jsisas

Re: Sharkie

Post by jsisas »

I am missing windshield top clip
IMG_20210608_130236-min.jpg
IMG_20210608_130236-min.jpg (579.94 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
I am not entirelt sure if I should have those clips also or are they like this from factory?
Can something be done to make them look a bit better?
IMG_20210608_130032-min.jpg
IMG_20210608_130032-min.jpg (769.71 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
IMG_20210608_125648-min.jpg
IMG_20210608_125648-min.jpg (854.61 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
I also have what I think is broken front passenger window trim, can it be mended or should I look for a new one?
IMG_20210608_125643-min.jpg
IMG_20210608_125643-min.jpg (810.57 KiB) Viewed 3796 times
BMW E24 635CSI
jsisas

Re: Sharkie

Post by jsisas »

Been a long time since I updated.

Thanks to Ralph I got myself a new set of sports seat frames with rails, motors, and plastics. Somehow the seats are way more comfortable now.
Unfortunately, I forgot to grab any pictures :oops:
BMW E24 635CSI