oil level sensor

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

tmoretta

oil level sensor

Post by tmoretta »

The engine oil pan oil level sensor wire in my '88 M6 has a messed up connection. Anyone know if the dash indicator will light if I just leave the wire disconnected, or do I need to connect some of the 3 wires?
Jubilados

Re: oil level sensor

Post by Jubilados »

It’s not just a simple switch. If you unplug it, the light will stay on.
It has 2 wires coming out of it.
There’s posts about how to supposedly make the light go out by unplugging it and grounding one of the wires. You can find it with a Google. I think Chris Wright described it.
But, I tried it and it didn’t work.
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

I have beer able to re-connect the wires. However, the connection is a bit tenuous, as the plastic retainer is broken.
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

My reading of my '84 ETM tells me:

Oil level low: Dynamic switch closes, static switch opens.
Oil level full: Static switch closes, dynamic switch opens.

The schematic shows an internal resistor between the dynamic switch and ground with no value indicated. In theory disconnecting the blue/white wire might extinguish the light. I suspect that will not be the case due to the resistor. Measuring the resistance of the low level sensor and adding a resistor of a similar value between the wire and ground would kill the light.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Interesting. For now I will see if my connection holds.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

If you're not worried about the indicator lamp working, why not just remove the bulb?
tmoretta

Post by tmoretta »

Yes - if the light comes on, I might just pull the bulb. However, removing the gauge cluster is one of the few procedures I. have not yet attempted on this vehicle.
Jubilados

Post by Jubilados »

If you remove the bulb, you’ll still likely have to press the CHECK button to get rid of the flashing CHECK light on the instrument cluster every time you start the car.
Pod
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Pod »

Jubilados wrote: Sat Mar 05, 2022 3:04 am If you remove the bulb, you’ll still likely have to press the CHECK button to get rid of the flashing CHECK light on the instrument cluster every time you start the car.
Take out that bulb as well then \:D/
e24mpwr

Post by e24mpwr »

I replaced my oil level sensor with a used one that was supposed to come from a working car, but it didn't make the light go off.

I'm wondering if both sensors are gummed up a bit, and how I might clean the one I put in the car next time I change the oil?

(I damaged the wire on the old one being stupid)