ignition switch off, key out, radio and accessories still on

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

mags444

ignition switch off, key out, radio and accessories still on

Post by mags444 »

Got a head scratcher... Turned off the engine of my '88 M6, removed the key and multiple accessories still are powered, including radio, antenna, wipers, turn signals, and left side warning panel. Ordered and installed a new OEM ignition switch, and it works perfectly. All the key positions seem to power up the proper items and engine starts and turns off with proper key positions. The new switch made no difference to the still powered items. Have consulted the trouble shooting electrical manual, and pulled and replaced various fuses that effect the items that remain powered. Also replaced the 2 power module relays. Pulling fuses for the wipers for example does not keep the other items from remaining powered. Have installed a battery kill switch incase the computer or other silent items are getting unauthorized power. Car starts, runs, and stops normally. Any thoughts would be appreciated? I hate electricity issues!
Thanks
John
mags444

Re: ignition switch off, key out, radio and accessories still on

Post by mags444 »

That seems like a good idea. I just can't find any one relay that effects all the various accessories that are powered. Tracing the way positive electricity flows from the electrical troubleshooter, it seems that more than one relay could be involved. Hard to imagine more than one relay failed at the same time.. Maybe a ground went bad that combines these accessories?
davrianmad

Re: ignition switch off, key out, radio and accessories still on

Post by davrianmad »

Just been sorting out my radio which was working find it just had dreadful wiring connecting it to the car, one of the things I did fine with power on back of radio where I plugged the wrong wiring into the wrong position brought about the features you are describing.
BMW M635CSi 1985 0760152 RHD B512OPH
BMW 2002tii 1974
Davrian Mk7a
Davrian Mk4
Davrian Racing Imp