AC fan switch detent?

Post in this forum for topics relating to the interior.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

RossDinan6

AC fan switch detent?

Post by RossDinan6 »

The one thing that has cropped up after my AC system upgrade is the fan switch will not stay on high. It runs there, but let go of it and it drops down to the highest variable speed setting.

Anyone seen this and have you come up with a fix besides replacement? I have not begun to look into this yet, just thinking I am not the first to see this. My transistor still sits here waiting for its failure.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: AC fan switch detent?

Post by GRNSHRK »

Hey Ross, not sure about your issue, but I'm gonna move your thread to the "Interior" forum, which I think is more proper for this type of issue [-o<

Good luck :-"
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
RossDinan6

Re: AC fan switch detent?

Post by RossDinan6 »

It looks like I have answered my own question.

Removed and inspected the switch this evening. It is basically four parts. A mount, operator, adapter housing and the board and connector. The operator consists of a housing that supports the shaft and max speed switch. There is a small piece of spring steel that creates the detent. The bit of plastic holding the detent spring broke preventing any spring.

Unfortunately while testing before removing the blower switch I got a whiff of the tell tail smell of smoke escaping an electrical component. No variable speed anymore.

There's nothing I can see that I could have shorted. I suspect the board took this opportunity to spank me for thinking I'd finished the AC upgrade project.

I am now on the hunt for another discontinued part.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo