What did you do to your E24 today?

Talk women (or men), politics, gripe about your 6er (or other ride), and speak your mind.

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

KINGJOHN808

Re: What did you do to your E24 today?

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Aloha!

Replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines associated with filter and pump. Changed all vacuum lines under the hood, new plugs, plug wires and cap/rotor. Changed coolant tank and all hoses attached. In the process of changing rear sway bar end links and bushings. Lots more to do, but one day it will all be done…🤣
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

“Aloha and have a great day!”
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Nice bunch of check marks off the to do list. Sadly they are never done, or maybe thankfully. :D

I thought I'd be done 15 years ago. "Should take me 5 years" I said. It's all good.

I did nothing to mine today as I had to earn car parts credits. Cleaned it up last weekend for my first "official" car show. Went to the 10th annual B.I.G. European Car Show in Cape Coral FL last Sunday. A good time, 150 British, Italian and German cars. Found out about a stash of E24 parts cars not too far from here.

The weekend before was a run to Sebring for the SVRA vintage races with Trans Am running as well. Great racing, big car show and Chamber of Commerce weather, and away from traffic. Life is good.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
SixerNick

Post by SixerNick »

:o
KINGJOHN808 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:01 am Aloha!

Replaced the fuel filter and fuel lines associated with filter and pump. Changed all vacuum lines under the hood, new plugs, plug wires and cap/rotor. Changed coolant tank and all hoses attached. In the process of changing rear sway bar end links and bushings. Lots more to do, but one day it will all be done…🤣
Details on replacing these lines? Did you buy hosed from BMW or have them made? Thanks.
86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

After 34 years I finally did a conversion on my fog lights. Now I can turn them on with just the parking lights.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I finally made the front windows operate as they should. I have no clue about the back ones, haven't tried them in years.

The back story is I got some cool one touch modules from E30ig.com a little while ago. They plug into the harness and switch with no modifications. They did exactly as I expected when I ordered them. Mostly they worked. More like two touch in my case. Certainly not their fault.

The problem was my passenger side was slow about 3/4 of the way down causing the one touch to stop. Driver side would nearly make it up, within 3/8". This made me finally get off my butt and make the necessary adjustments. Less wind noise and stopping the minor leaks wouldn't hurt. Since the passenger side was worse I started there. Removed the interior trim and got to work. Got things working reasonably well when I noticed the rollers on the window car were just skidding on the track, not rolling.

So apart the window tracks came. Everything was covered with some petrified grease. Nearly had to chisel it off. Once cleaned with copious amounts of brake clean and much poking and prodding everything ran smoothly. Installed the cleaned and lubed parts and started adjusting all over again.

Window adjusting is a major PITA. I got them to the point they sealed, opened and closed well and the one touch nearly was. At that point I started the car and got 14 volts to the motor. They then ran great. I'll call that a win. Now for the driver's side.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

SixerNick wrote: Sun Mar 13, 2022 11:45 am :o
KINGJOHN808 wrote: Sat Mar 12, 2022 12:01 am Aloha!

Details on replacing these lines? Did you buy hosed from BMW or have them made? Thanks.
Aloha!

Bought the lines from a company online (HPSI motor sports). Lots of colors to choose from, and I was going to go with blue to match my plug wires but they were out, so I went with black. Kit comes with enough silicone hose to replace all the vacuum lines. You have to cut the lines to size yourself. Not for fuel, oil or coolant or anything with a high pressure being applied. Nice tight fit, but I still used the hose clamps just to ensure a airtight fit. I was amazed how simple it was to do it, but I kept putting it off until this past weekend based upon what some were saying on the forums.

Essentially, there are 2 lines that go under the manifold (these 2 are the toughest because you can’t see where they go) but even though you can’t see underneath there, very easy to find and replace. Lots of space if you do it from the driver side. The others are in clear view. Just replace one line at a time and it will be done in less than 30 minutes.

Side note, if your going to change your vac lines, change all the intake boots as well. Found a couple of cracks in mine after I put the vacuum lines on. After 38 years, a lot of the rubber on the car is fragile or cracking apart.

Good luck and Aloha!
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

86_6series
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by 86_6series »

When I replaced the hoses under the manifold, I removed the whole assembly from each end.
I then connected the new hoses to the middle t at the same angle and installed it.
86-635CSi
96-MB C220 SOLD
98-740i
71-Continental MK3
LarryM

Post by LarryM »

I just changed the "engine crankshaft position sensor" (Item #7) on the front of the engine because I noticed the plastic connector on my original one was completely disintegrated from engine heat. It crumbled apart in my hands.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... 2521287784

This sensor is connected to the diagnostic port and the engine runs fine without it; from what I gather it really isn't useful anymore since most dealers and repair shops no longer use the same diagnostic tools they did when these cars were new. Some owners remove them completely or simply ignore their existence and drive on. This is a whole new level of OCD for me, but I paid $200 USD for a new one from BMW (I was rather surprised it's still available) just because I didn't like the idea of an "empty space" where it's supposed to be located.
1985 635CSi
1987 535is
1965 Impala SS
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I finished up the driver door window adjustment after the one touch window module install. Man were the tracks and cars caked with old dry grease. A pain to clean but worth the effort. This side started out operating better than the passenger, but was tougher to get right. I'll chock the passenger side up to beginner's luck.

While I was in there (where have you heard that line before?) I worked on the door lock. It was getting tough to lock and would not operate the central locks. I added a bit of plastic tubing to an actuator rod. It looked like it would have had a bushing, but none showed in Real OEM. Another fiddley little job. Now it operates like it should.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

Removed and replaced grommets between brake master cylinder and brake fluid tank. The grommets were completely shot. Came apart like chewing gum. Replaced brake lines with steel braided units. Also replaced rear sway bar bushings and dog bones.

Lastly, finally took care of the missing windshield washer sprayers for the hood and repaired the washer motor. Replaced the washer lines as well but broke the check valve/splitter so awaiting a new one from Pelican.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Thought I'd bring this thread back to the top.

I was in the garage today after honey dos. Finished reassembling the dash after tearing it apart for the AC refurb. What a PITA dash work is. Sadly I am not on the home stretch yet. The flushed evaporator with new expansion valve is in. The parallel flow condenser and Spall fan are in. The new hose is here and the fittings are on the bench.

What I discovered in this project is the Sanden compressor bracket I got from WC Wylie ( a beautiful piece, BTW) will not fit my existing brackets. My car was built in 11/84 and in 4/65 BMW changed to the "wing cell" compressor which is what the adapter bracket I got is made for. So the search for parts has been going on. I have 2 brackets from ebay that will not work. I had a line on the brackets from a guy around Sebring who as now gone dark. This is unfortunate because I was also planning on getting some other bits for the car that I need.

At this point, I think I'll spend my day tomorrow reinstalling the radiator and oil cooler, drop it back on the ground, top up fluids and go for a drive. It has been on stands for nearly two months. I think my clutch leg might be getting weak.

The search for the correct compressor brackets continues. I posted previously in the parts wanted, but...... Everything in the link but the belt would make me happy. If anyone has this let me know.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=64_0430
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
KINGJOHN808

Post by KINGJOHN808 »

RossDinan6 wrote: Mon May 30, 2022 12:01 am Thought I'd bring this thread back to the top.

I was in the garage today after honey dos. Finished reassembling the dash after tearing it apart for the AC refurb. What a PITA dash work is. Sadly I am not on the home stretch yet. The flushed evaporator with new expansion valve is in. The parallel flow condenser and Spall fan are in. The new hose is here and the fittings are on the bench.

What I discovered in this project is the Sanden compressor bracket I got from WC Wylie ( a beautiful piece, BTW) will not fit my existing brackets. My car was built in 11/84 and in 4/65 BMW changed to the "wing cell" compressor which is what the adapter bracket I got is made for. So the search for parts has been going on. I have 2 brackets from ebay that will not work. I had a line on the brackets from a guy around Sebring who as now gone dark. This is unfortunate because I was also planning on getting some other bits for the car that I need.

At this point, I think I'll spend my day tomorrow reinstalling the radiator and oil cooler, drop it back on the ground, top up fluids and go for a drive. It has been on stands for nearly two months. I think my clutch leg might be getting weak.

The search for the correct compressor brackets continues. I posted previously in the parts wanted, but...... Everything in the link but the belt would make me happy. If anyone has this let me know.

https://www.realoem.com/bmw/enUS/showpa ... Id=64_0430
Aloha!

I was in touch with ACS and they stated that ECS Tuning has the Sanden AC bracket for the 635CSi. Not sure if this is what you need or not, just thought I would share the info I got from them.

"Based on the photos, it looks like our 635CSi (standard) A/C kit will work; however, in order to mount the new Sanden compressor, you will need the later M30 accessory mount https://www.ecstuning.com/b-genuine-bmw ... 521284953/"

Im looking into fitting the Sanden compressor to my 84' 633CSi (front AC only). Wont be needing the entire kit as all my hosed and fittings are new. Awaiting information back from them regarding the size and location of the hoses going to and from the compressor though.
Ewa Kai, Hawai’i
1984 633CSi
1983 633CSi (wreckers)

Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Well, another example of heat/A/C blower issues.

Both the heater and a/c blowers were blowing at nearly (but not completely) high speed regardless of the rotational position of the control (they did both blow at high when maxed out since the "max switch"/micro switch was engaged). So more searching of the site and of course a number of good threads.

http://bigcoupe.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=14791

This thread has a link to a diagnosis of a Blower Speed Control issue. I was initially reading/comprehending incorrectly (sometimes I'm a little slow :oops: ) The threads typically note that the blower only works on high. I took that to mean the blower was always running at high regardless of switch position. But it referred to the blower not running at all until the micro switch was engaged. ](*,)

So, I took the blower speed control out and apart, and it was then I realized I was not reading the comments correctly. But with the help of the linked pdf I checked the resistance of the switch and the potentiometer is indeed bad. So... After ordering a new transistor and some thermal grease unnecessarily it looks like I need to replace the entire control. Sounds like the potentiometer is no longer available (from "Ruwido"), so you will see my post in the Parts Wanted section!

Next up - subframe bushings! ](*,) ](*,) ](*,)

I am so thankful for this site - I would be lost without this great storehouse of information gathered over almost two decades!
1988 BMW M6 Heater Control Circuit - 1.jpg
1988 BMW M6 Heater Control Circuit - 1.jpg (177.94 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
1988 BMW M6 Heater Control Circuit - 2.jpg
1988 BMW M6 Heater Control Circuit - 2.jpg (75.02 KiB) Viewed 3995 times
1988 M6
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Almost forgot my latest work...

In a quest for the ultimate feature addition for Father's Day I requested an incredible improvement in drivability, handling, braking and appearance. \:D/

I was not disappointed. Feast your eyes on these!
750 HP, 700 lb-ft BMW Accessory.jpg
750 HP, 700 lb-ft BMW Accessory.jpg (365.64 KiB) Viewed 3987 times
1988 M6
sharkfan
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by sharkfan »

Sbeaud wrote: Thu Jun 23, 2022 9:24 pm Almost forgot my latest work...

In a quest for the ultimate feature addition for Father's Day I requested an incredible improvement in drivability, handling, braking and appearance. \:D/

I was not disappointed. Feast your eyes on these!

750 HP, 700 lb-ft BMW Accessory.jpg
If those are rubber stemmed valves those metal caps will bend out and scratch your rims in no time at all - sorry.
2001 Alpina B10 V8 Touring (1 of 12 rhd)
1997 Alpina B12 5.7 L (1 of 2 rhd)
1995 Alpina B10 4.6 Touring (1 of 1 rhd)
1985 BMW M635CSi (1 of 524 rhd)
1982 BMW 635CSiA (1 of 100's left from the 1000's made and still valiantly fighting against a rusty grave)
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

Oooh, I never considered the centrifugal force of all the additional horsepower bending the stems. Great catch, it could have ended badly.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I finally chased down a short!!!

Post by GRNSHRK »

I hate "chasing electrons" ](*,)

This issue had been showing up intermittently at first, until I could finally make the short happen and fuse 5 (in series 1 cars) to blow :-"

This fuse controls a lot of lighting, interior, glovebox and trunk, the clock, and looking at the ETM I found out that the central locking is also powered through this fuse :-?

I started having issues with the central locking as well (as in, not working...) so I pulled the driver's door card to start having a look around, expecting to find a bare wire, most likely in the loom that goes from the door to the body :|

Alas, nothing, other than wondering why I didn't replace the moisture barrier when I was last in there, redying the door cards and other interior bits :oops:

I enlisted the wisdom of Klaus once again, and since we both suspected a bare wire in a place where the wires move, he instructed me to pull the passenger door card as well :-#

Well, no problems there either, I even pulled both kickpanel speakers to see if something was amiss in there, again nothing :cry:

So I started disconnecting lock modules one at a time, and when I got to the trunk, pulling the side and rear trunk covers, I took a look at a connection that I had made when I added extra brake lights, tapping into, you guessed it, the trunk light hot lead #-o

Bingo, that's what was touching ground, even though the connectors are insulated, it managed somehow to touch ground :-?

So all's good now, central locking works, as does the aftermarket remote system (which I now know how that works as well =D> ) and made a new moisture barrier to replace the taped up mess that was in there \:D/

Hmm, what's next on the list :P
Attachments
IMG_4319.JPG
IMG_4319.JPG (999.48 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
IMG_4318.JPG
IMG_4318.JPG (1.06 MiB) Viewed 3866 times
IMG_0581.jpg
IMG_0581.jpg (919.12 KiB) Viewed 3866 times
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

Very nice work. I also really hate chasing electrons...

Scott
1988 M6
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Thanks Scott, can't tell you how embarrassed I am buttoning up the drivers door with the innards looking like that :oops:

And thankfully, no more electrons to chase, for now [-o<
Bobbo
sideshowbob

Post by sideshowbob »

Not quite today......

Had a 6 branch stainless steel manifold fitted
Along with a stainless steel 'Sport' exhaust system
Removed automatic gearbox and replaced with a reconditioned Getrag 5 speed.
Replaced front discs and calipers with Brembo 4 pot calipers and larger discs
Fitted set of braided brake hoses

Took car to Lemans Classic 22
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I finished up the AC system upgrade. Started collecting parts well over a year ago. Tore the car apart back in early May. Installed a new Sanden compressor, crossflow condenser, flushed the evaporator and replaced the expansion valve. New receiver/dryer and hoses.

About 55F vent temp today at 90F+ and 80ish% humidity on 134a. Quite a few trials and tribulations doing this project.

Happy with the outcome at this point. Now I need to retint the windows. They are getting ripples that do not help visibility. They have rarely been up for the last way too many years.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Good job Ross =D>

Presuming you took lots of pix, are you considering a project thread [-o<

I always take photos of everything that I do on the green beast, I'm sure you guys are well aware of that by now :roll:
Bobbo
RossDinan6

Post by RossDinan6 »

I never thought about a project post. Maybe I'll get ambitious and do one. I did document the parts and cost. There are quite a few photos I need to organize.
Ross
'84 633 Dinan turbo
Sbeaud

Post by Sbeaud »

I heartily second Bobbo's remarks. Your A/C rebuild sounds ambitious and inspiring.

Scott
1988 M6
GazM3

Post by GazM3 »

A few small cosmetic and repair items done in the recent past.
- Timing chain tensioner (S50b32 one)
- New 370mm Momo prototipo steering wheel with JPS sticker (couldn't help myself)
- New rear light covers
- Heat shielded cold air filter to hear more of the M88/3 intake noise
- Sync all the throttles with new fancy digital 8 channel manometer
- Heater tap repair
- Heater fan repair
- Additional circlips for rear shocks to get ride height even
- Rebuilt diff with 50% lockup and 3.23 ratio to match the getrag dogleg
- Reconditioned CV joints
- New guibo flex disk
- New subframe bushes, with Kmac adjustable semi trailing arm bushes
- CD-43 bmw audio system with Dice carplay interface to replace the aftermarket one, and have modern streamed music

The car is scheduled finally to get repainted starting late this month (when I get the M5 back). Its driving awesome, handles great and goes pretty well.

Im keen in the medium term future also to finally install a standalone ecu to divorce myself from the Bosch 055 & airflow meter combo. RHD engineering are doing my e34 540 with 16psi and flex fuel, and I'm keen for them to use mine as a template to have a "plug and play" ecu option for the 36pin (with a coil on plug option - if can be done in a visually appealing manner) as there is none, and the old factory hardware is getting very long in the tooth. Not sure how to tackle the flywheel sensors as yet.
BMW’s
84 E24 M635csi
90 E34 M5 3.6
94 E34 540i/6 SC E85
97 E36 M3 euro SC U/C
97 Z3 2.8 widebody

OTHERS
11 Audi S5 3.0 SC
19 VW Amarok V6