front uneven ride height e24 635csi

Post in this forum for topics relating to suspension, steering, and brakes

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

southcentral1

front uneven ride height e24 635csi

Post by southcentral1 »

right front side 1/2 inch higher than left. right tire is slanted downward pushing wheel further out from the lip of the fender arch.

I felt a new installation of OEM BMW stock touring springs on four corners along with Bilstein 4 shock absorbers. This did not solve the problem. It appears the right wheel being slanted downward causes the discrepancy in the ride height differentiation due to the right edge of the tire is what csues the increase in right side ride height. Anyone have an idea how to solve or reason being..
I have owned the car since new in 1987 and is accident free.

i also used a straight edge to measure the distance each of the front wheels/tires using the center of the hub as plumb reference to the ground and upper lip of the fender. The left wheel sits right, is 1'/2 inch gap, inward from the fender arch using the straight edge as reference. The right wheel/.tire is 1/8 ' gap from the straight edge

Could the possibility of the wheel being slanted downward is causing the uneven ride height.
hornhospital
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Re: front uneven ride height e24 635csi

Post by hornhospital »

Worn out control arms, and this needs to be in the suspension, steering and brakes forum, not the tech article forum. Maybe Bobbo or other moderator will move it.
Ken Kanne
'84 633CSi "Sylvia"; '85 635CSi "Katja";'85 325e "Hazel Ann"; '95 M3 "Ashlyn"
GRNSHRK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by GRNSHRK »

Ken, duly noted, although I don't have any input regarding this issue :-?
:mrgreen:
Bobbo
1980 633 CSi Cypress Green/Pearl Beige
2017 X5 M Sport Xdrive 35i Carbon Black/Ivory White
2005 330 Ci ZHP Cabrio Imola Red/Bone/Black
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

southcentral1 wrote: Sat Dec 26, 2020 8:55 am right front side 1/2 inch higher than left. right tire is slanted downward pushing wheel further out from the lip of the fender arch.

I felt a new installation of OEM BMW stock touring springs on four corners along with Bilstein 4 shock absorbers. This did not solve the problem. It appears the right wheel being slanted downward causes the discrepancy in the ride height differentiation due to the right edge of the tire is what csues the increase in right side ride height. Anyone have an idea how to solve or reason being..
I have owned the car since new in 1987 and is accident free.

i also used a straight edge to measure the distance each of the front wheels/tires using the center of the hub as plumb reference to the ground and upper lip of the fender. The left wheel sits right, is 1'/2 inch gap, inward from the fender arch using the straight edge as reference. The right wheel/.tire is 1/8 ' gap from the straight edge

Could the possibility of the wheel being slanted downward is causing the uneven ride height.
Sounds to me that you should get along to a decent alignment shop - one that can measure all the key geometry parameters ie camber, caster and toe. Armed with the data you can then potentially set about diagnosing exactly where your problem(s) lies, whether that be bushes or something a bit more sinister.
Last edited by plip1953 on Sat Jan 16, 2021 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
southcentral1

Post by southcentral1 »

Thank You! Will do.
Da_Hose
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Post by Da_Hose »

Agreed on thorough diagnosis. Might reveal a bent component.

Jose
1987 M6 - My dream car
southcentral1

Post by southcentral1 »

will rear springs from a e28 fit a 1986 e24? New springs were ordered from BMW, after having my e24 handled by 3 different shops and alignment centers measuring and fiddling with trying to level the car so the right side is not 3/4'~ higher~after installation the same result in uneven ride height. Another shop inspected and found the right rear spring was twisted. I talked with the BMW parts dept where the springs were ordered and found the front springs are the correct number match for an e24, however the rear springs part # 33 53 1 125 665 fit is for a e28. The correct spring for the e24 is discontinued. frustrated dealing with so California so called technicians and expert shops for 8 months. All are great at changing parts but lack know how to solve or fix.
plip1953

Post by plip1953 »

I couldn't find the part no you quote (on RealOEM), but as far as I know the rear springs on an E24 and E28 are the same (although they are different on the M635).
Rear coil spring.jpg
Rear coil spring.jpg (25.89 KiB) Viewed 4163 times
Phil

1988 Highline 635 CSi
gug

Post by gug »

One of your strut housings could be bent. I had one side a little higher than the other. Had new tires installed and the wheel weights were hitting one of the strut housings.