Clutch Slave Cylinder - Bleeding Tips

Post here for mechanical and engine topics such as fuel issues, transmission problems, rough idle, exhaust, electrical issues, etc

Moderators: GRNSHRK, ron, bfons

Slownrusty

Clutch Slave Cylinder - Bleeding Tips

Post by Slownrusty »

Guys - The clutch pedal on my '86 sank to the floor on my way home, fortunately I was less than a mile from my house.

I nursed the car home, got it on some ramps and crawled under the car, low and behold the clutch slave was wet and dripping. The master was done dry.

Swapping out the slave was simple, it took me only a few minutes and cost less than $30 for a new one from my local parts store.

Bleeding the slave, was not so simple. With my neighbor helping me, he was working the pedal and I was working the slave bleeder nipple, after over an hour we still did not have any pedal pressure. I then tried my Motiv pressure bleeder attached to the master cylinder and that did nothing...surprisingly.

I then found the "Reverse Bleed" video on YouTube and it made sense, sure enough within 10-15 minutes, the pedal pressure started to come up and a few minutes after that, I had a great clutch pedal. I bought a cheap oil can from Harbor Freight (for $5) and I have lots of clear plastic tube at home.

Anyway I wanted to share this and recommend it!
Works great.
Yasin
Last edited by Slownrusty on Tue Sep 28, 2021 2:41 am, edited 1 time in total.
635sharknose

Re: Clutch Slave Cylinder - Bleeding Tips

Post by 635sharknose »

Thanks for sharing your experience Yasin. This may come in handy in the future.
Paul
Instagram: @635sharknose
1987 635CSi Bronzitbeige